• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Paris - Nice, stage 5: Crèche-sur-Saône - Rive-de-Gier 152.5km

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Enjoyed this stage. El Gordo impressive even with the extra fat, scary to think how strong he's gonna be come the Ardennes.
Thomas looked very good to me, but I'm not sure he can keep the yellow tomorrow.
Nibali improving, still far from top shape.

Christian said:
Great finale! The parcours might be a bit lame but the riders make for some great racing.

BTW Navardauskas pushed Maxime Bouet (was in the TV images), causing Bouet to crash heavily, and subsequently abandon. I wonder if there will be consequences for that

I didn't see Bouet hit the deck, but I did see the push and it didn't look like Navardauskas had much choice. Bouet veered right across him, not seeing him coming.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
The route is proving (so far) a success. The clement weather made it extra soft but the last 2 days have been fun. Tomorrow and sunday should see the most action with saturday being for a breakaway.

I could imagine tommorrow AG2R using Bardet to ride as hard as possible on the penultimate climb to try and drop the Degenkolbs, Rojas but also maybe a Slagter as well.

It just goes to show that a super demanding route isn't necessarily the key to entertaining racing.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Also impressive was what happened to Sam Dumoulin, don't know if you guys caught that. He had a flat in the last 25km and then ferociously tried to get back to the peloton with the help of Bardet, because he was well placed on GC.

When he was almost at the tail of the peloton, the camera shows him free-wheeling on the side of the road, almost coming to a stand-still, then shifting to the inner ring and slowly start pedaling again to very little resistance.

At first the speakers thought he had a problem with the dérailleur, but the correspondant on the moto right next to him could see nothing wrong with the bike. Turns out he had just really, really overcooked it, and from one moment to the other had to cut his effort completely, unable to maintain any rythm whatsoever. He went on to finish third to last on the stage.

That's the first time I have ever seen this happen to a professional rider. Of course you see mountain domestiques coming close to stand-still, but I feel like that's different because first of all it's often in particularly steep portions of climbs and they have to shift down a lot, so naturally it takes a while to find a new rythm. Plus when they start their effort, they know that they are giving their all for the sake of a team mate.

In this case I guess Dumoulin must just have completely miscalculated his effort! Good to know that this doesn't only happen to me, but can also happen to a pro! :D

Christian said:
Also impressive was what happened to Sam Dumoulin, don't know if you guys caught that. He had a flat in the last 25km and then ferociously tried to get back to the peloton with the help of Bardet, because he was well placed on GC.

When he was almost at the tail of the peloton, the camera shows him free-wheeling on the side of the road, almost coming to a stand-still, then shifting to the inner ring and slowly start pedaling again to very little resistance.

At first the speakers thought he had a problem with the dérailleur, but the correspondant on the moto right next to him could see nothing wrong with the bike. Turns out he had just really, really overcooked it, and from one moment to the other had to cut his effort completely, unable to maintain any rythm whatsoever. He went on to finish third to last on the stage.

That's the first time I have ever seen this happen to a professional rider. Of course you see mountain domestiques coming close to stand-still, but I feel like that's different because first of all it's often in particularly steep portions of climbs and they have to shift down a lot, so naturally it takes a while to find a new rythm. Plus when they start their effort, they know that they are giving their all for the sake of a team mate.

In this case I guess Dumoulin must just have completely miscalculated his effort! Good to know that this doesn't only happen to me, but can also happen to a pro! :D

Nice bit of information.
On the last part, Dumoulin simply needed to get back with the bunch sometime before the top. He knew he would lose time on the descend if he was alone or in a group of lost souls. He went all in and dropped everything on the table.

Moving on..

21 (28) JUNGELS Bob Trek Factory Racing 0:24

Nice ride today. What can he do on the next few stages?