• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Tour de France July 18, Stage 13: Saint-Étienne - Chamrousse 197.5km

Page 34 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Well disappointed as it appears the Maillout Jaune is now firmly decided as has the Green Jersey since day 2.

Would love to see a Frenchman on the podium and TJVG, so that's all there is to cheer for now for me.

Hope we see some good stage wins in the meantime.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
UpTheRoad said:
It's pure speculation, but I believe that Tinkoff-Saxo really had a winning strategy by dropping people early on stages where they were not fully needed to support Contador. But when they were needed they delivered. And now we have a domestique climbing with the best. He wheelsucked everywhere today, but Majka would have been a great ally to Contador on this stage. Would have worked for AC so he' have been blown out the back at some point, but his leader would have been flying.
This,I am impressed.Only Roche seems a bit tired after all those flat stages,or maybe he dropped on purpouse.

But Majka and Rogers excellent today:eek:

Moose McKnuckles said:
If Valverde wanted to race for the win, he'd have worked better with Pinot, rather than trying to attack him to get time for his 2nd place.

You're kidding, right? People here are so blind with hatred for Valverde that they can't even recognize decent racing. Valverde made the attack that separated Nibs and Pinot from that foursome. Three guys bridged. Valverde pulled almost the entire time in that group. But no one complains about Nibs wheelsucking then attacking. No one says Pinot should have shared the workload evenly with Valverde.

And they were working together for the final couple of K. Not V's fault Pinot isn't as explosive.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Climbing said:
Total domination.

Lion_facepalm.jpg

10characters

May 2, 2010
Visit site
jaylew said:
You're kidding, right? People here are so blind with hatred for Valverde that they can't even recognize decent racing. Valverde made the attack that separated Nibs and Pinot from that foursome. Three guys bridged. Valverde pulled almost the entire time in that group. But no one complains about Nibs wheelsucking then attacking. No one says Pinot should have shared the workload evenly with Valverde.

And they were working together for the final couple of K. Not V's fault Pinot isn't as explosive.

Pinot was doing plenty of work in the group too. Valverde raced fine, until it was just him & Pinot. Then he returned to his usual self.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
jaylew said:

I honestly don't know how you can say that. I love watching Valverde but there is no way he worked with Pinot to maximise their joint efforts. He was messing around and then outright attacked him.

If he wanted to make time on Pinot he should have at least waited until the final few hundred metres.