• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Tour de France July 18, Stage 13: Saint-Étienne - Chamrousse 197.5km

Page 39 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
maxmartin said:
TJ still has hope for the third place, if he can hang on. He should be able to put mins into guys like TP in the ITT.

Just for reference, TJVG finished 7th in the penultimate stage 53.5km TT in 2012, putting 1:04min into Nibali, 2:57 into Pinot, and 4:04 into Peraud. I think the finishing climb tomorrow is suited to him, but I wonder if he can limit his losses in the Pyrenees.

EDIT: Underlying my previous point about his iffy pacing, TJ was third at the first time check in that one.

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Epic ride from Nibbles, his team seem to have struggled a bit today but Nibali hung on well. Absolutely wonderful to see Pinot, Tejay and Bardet strutting their stuff. Absolutely wonderful.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
djpbaltimore said:
Just for reference, TJVG finished 7th in the penultimate stage 53.5km TT in 2012, putting 1:04min into Nibali, 2:57 into Pinot, and 4:04 into Peraud. I think the finishing climb tomorrow is suited to him, but I wonder if he can limit his losses in the Pyrenees.

he won't put 1 min into NIbali for sure this time, but 2 mins into Pinot is still doable for him. He just have to hang on, and take back some time if possible.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
alin.constantin89 said:
Nibali's style is very effective, Froome's is spectacular but not so effective :). He wanted to show something in the 2nd stage of Dauphine and failed, only 4 seconds between him and 3rd place. And he attacked like hell.

lol again they waited dumb ***. What about Nibali nowere in sight? Not that that matters but still You go on like that was all they had. Contador and Froome had like30 seconds and Contador wold not help. Alot of people said that was great by Froome because he attacked at front the whole time.

MBotero said:
I don't see it in that way,that guy is just another Becali who wants to get the maximum audience and that's it,i don't think he cares to much about his riders.The reaction against Contador,last year was horrible at least.

I agree his reaction against Contador was way out of line, but he seems to be more normal now that he is the team boss, and he and Alberto seem to be on good terms.

BsndoYOCYAAmQro.jpg:large

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
The fact is that none of us have ever seen Nibali at his best ride against Froome or Contador at their best. Yet the pretentious attitude of people who claim with certainty one way or another that such and such would happen is laughable. People need to take their eye patches off.

I will say that when it comes to Nibali that people have constantly under estimated him. People swore that the Vuelta was a fluke. Then he wins the Giro. Ryo claims that there are 35 climbers better than he is and that he would never win another GT. People before the Tour claimed that Valverde and Talasky would beat him. The same people who are writing off his chances against Froome and AC are the ones who wrote him off all along, so excuse me while I take your opinions with more than just a pinch of salt.

Nibali is clearly the strongest.

Konig put in an amazing ride. All the stuff from NetApp about how top 15 was their target was just very obvious expectations management. Without some silly/unfortunate time losses before the mountain stages, he would be on the fringes of the battle for third. Instead he still has an outside chance of a top 5 and will top 10 unless he crashes or gets sick.

Majka showed great strength for a guy who's not even supposed to be in the race. But he also adopted tactics straight from the Valverde school, so although I generally like him I'm glad he didn't win.

Bardet is hugely entertaining and looks like the real deal.

Nice riding from Pinot too.

Valverde, well, he did try a serious long range attack in a big race thus risking the integrity of the space-time continuum. But then he saved the universe by reverting to riding like a very stupid man's notion of a tactical genius.

Ag2r for Christ's sake tell Peraud to work with and if necessary for Bardet. As a team they just seem to have no control over their main riders, on or off the bike.

whittashau said:
The fact is that none of us have ever seen Nibali at his best ride against Froome or Contador at their best. Yet the pretentious attitude of people who claim with certainty one way or another that such and such would happen is laughable. People need to take their eye patches off.

I will say that when it comes to Nibali that people have constantly under estimated him. People swore that the Vuelta was a fluke. Then he wins the Giro. Ryo claims that there are 35 climbers better than he is and that he would never win another GT. People before the Tour claimed that Valverde and Talasky would beat him. The same people who are writing off his chances against Froome and AC are the ones who wrote him off all along, so excuse me while I take your opinions with more than just a pinch of salt.

I never wrote him off ... ;)

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I agree his reaction against Contador was way out of line, but he seems to be more normal now that he is the team boss, and he and Alberto seem to be on good terms.

BsndoYOCYAAmQro.jpg:large

You know appearances can be deceiving:)

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
whittashau said:

huh Nibali rode vs Froome in 2012 he got crushed, Froome even was pulling the whole group up and crushed Nibali. Also Vs Contador 2011= Crushed. Nibali made his time on Froome in 1 hilly wet stage. He as not beat him uphill in races they race. So what is wrong with people saying it. You're probably another guy who say ah well there not here. But fact is when has the top favorite abandoned? Let alone the top 2 Favourites. You have too admit that does not happend so it has been a unique TDF.

GT's Nibali has won the podium finshers. Mozquera, Velits. Uran and old Evans.

Oh what a suprise Contador and Froome are not their how conveniant of us to talk the truth.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
GroupDK said:
Jakob Fuglsang : comes in 30 min after..

states in interview " I think Contador was right you should definatly Watch out from Jurgen van de brook on the descent.. "

Seems it was a Lotto-bottle from him there took Fuglsang Down.. :rolleyes:

this is so funny!

TRENDING THREADS