• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Tour de France July 23, Stage 17: Saint-Gaudens - Saint-Lary-Soulan Pla d'Adet 1

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win stage 17?

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Kokoso said:
Hope "the great" Bauke Mollema ends behind König. Not deserved.

Don't let emotions get in your way. Sure König is the better rider this Tour and maybe even overall.
But Mollema simply doesn't have the form to go deep after his illness in the 1st week. But how can you say undeserved, when Mollema gives it his absolute 200% every stage. Even going into the attack today. It's mentally hard to do when you know you aren't at your best.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Don't let emotions get in your way. Sure König is the better rider this Tour and maybe even overall.
But Mollema simply doesn't have the form to go deep after his illness in the 1st week. But how can you say undeserved, when Mollema gives it his absolute 200% every stage. Even going into the attack today. It's mentally hard to do when you know you aren't at your best.

200%!!! :eek:

That's Clinic talk surely!:p

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Great win for Majka, but he needs to get at least some symbolic punishment for that camera slingshot off the motor bike. JRod was cooked, but it still was bad form.

EDIT: Also, great recovery by Valverde, I was impressed! The Frenchies will try all kinds of moves tomorrow, can he defend the podium?

GroupDK said:
Lucky fingers..:rolleyes:

Tour%20de%20France

Netserk said:
So old. So thin. :eek:

Contador is old, he looks like somebody there shoud be in a spaghetti western with his classy-leatherskin. :rolleyes:

Rollthedice said:
There's been countless times recently when we appearred to be dead and suddenly he's back to where he has to be.

I'm actually a Valverde fan and want him to podium! One more time he gets back up there! I just couldn't resist because he was floundering until a teammate gave him a wheel to follow. I really hope he recovers and has enough time in hand before the ITT as his form is sinking and he'll be out there all alone. Fight on Alejandro!!!

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:

I'd say it's other way round - don't let you emotions get in your way. They both are giving it 200% every stage, there's no difference. König was clearly better of the two, so he deserves it more of the two. You just feel more for Mollema, understandably.
And the last part...well, I don't agree. If you aren't at your best, you only can gain if you attack. It's the easier way how to gain.

Netserk said:
Yes. He is also on an upward trajectory, opposite Valverde. I think he will take more than a minute on Valverde in the ITT.
I don't think he's much better generally, but as you say he's on the up and Bala down so I agree that he should take it. Don't know if it will be by more than a minute but likely by enough to take 2nd on GC.
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
thx... how to do the direct comparisons on cq? great tool it seems... :)

There is a head 2 head button on the hompage where you can enter racetype.

the_cutter said:
Great win for Majka, but he needs to get at least some symbolic punishment for that camera slingshot off the motor bike. JRod was cooked, but it still was bad form.

EDIT: Also, great recovery by Valverde, I was impressed! The Frenchies will try all kinds of moves tomorrow, can he defend the podium?

Majka should try that with a runner.

Great win by Majka.:)

He looks like a very humble rider. Not cacky at all.:cool:

Again Valverde being saved by third wheels. At least these wheels belong to his teammates. Tomorrow will turn out to be an interesting stage. Battle for podium and white. Looks like Majka put Purito on his seat.

Either Konig or Mollema would be very deserving top ten riders. Both have done the same distances as far as I am concerned.

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Anyone know when the Majka punishment should be announced?

I'm resigned to it being time, and its the most token thing ever. Everybody knows that he doesnt care about GC, so there is no punishment at all. I'd say a 5-10 point deduction should be done...some people will think its harsh but if you are going to punish someone, give an actual punishment, and the wink to the camera afterwards(1st one) showed to me he knew exactly what he had done and that he didnt care.

Weird stage...riders everywhere, nothing between the GC guys in the first three climbs, the Bardet attack, Valveverde managing to recover, not something you see very often from a dropped rider! Nice of Nieve to help out a bro in the beginning too...Pinot letting TVG's teammate pull in the end probably wasn't a great idea...Hope we get something "clearer" tomorrow!

May 28, 2014
Visit site
richard_91 said:

I'm resigned to it being time, and its the most token thing ever. Everybody knows that he doesnt care about GC, so there is no punishment at all. I'd say a 5-10 point deduction should be done...some people will think its harsh but if you are going to punish someone, give an actual punishment, and the wink to the camera afterwards(1st one) showed to me he knew exactly what he had done and that he didnt care.

Wasnt that TV moto riding too closely? Of course, he shouldn't not have done it, but has it changed anything? How much he earned - 0,5 second?

richard_91 said:

Are you high? No time penalty or point penalty for that one. If anything then maybe financial, but I think only thing that should be done about it is scolding the driver for being so damn close to the rider trying to breakaway. He didnt gain anything at all, except for maybe losing his rhythm

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Given the different aspects of a tour, I think punishments should be relevant to the rider.

I know it will never happen, and little advantage or not the act really annoyed me.

richard_91 said:

I think a good stern talking to is in order.

I don't care about the punishment for Majka, but let me understand some people in this forum. If a Moto-Bike is riding too closely is OK to push?

Do you know what are the possibilities of having a Tour de France without Moto-bikes and cars riding close to the riders? That is impossible! You always going to have that. It has always been an issue. So that's not an excuse. If they let it go is because everybody pushes at some point in the race. On the other hand if he receives a punishment is because of the location and the criticality of the move at that moment. Either way, I don't care.

TRENDING THREADS