• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Tour de France, Stage 10: Mulhouse > La Planche des Belles Filles 161.5 Km

Page 67 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Bye Bye Bicycle said:
Machado in with + 43 min - so Hors Délai.

BshPjIEIEAAJ5Vu.jpg

Oh god, cycling can such a horrendous sport.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Zinoviev Letter said:
Surely Nibali has always been a forum favourite? All big name riders have their fans and their detractors, but Nibali tends to be quite popular even amongst fans who don't rate him with the likes of Contador and Froome as a GC man because he is fun.
Im in this group.I like this guy,he has balls,ol' style racing,but in my world its almost like wiggins (contador wasnt there froome couldnt attack).Maybe even easier for Nibbs as Wiggins had to handle froome mental pressure.'Undeserved' tour win (I know stage 2,cobbles,but climbing wins Tours)
whittashau said:
Come on, show some logic? Given the distance of the climb and how good Nibali looked what suggests that he would have lost 40 seconds to Froome and AC if they were riding? Maybe 5 seconds tops.
Ok,overreacted,more like 30s,but I stand behind my point.
maxmartin said:
link? Data? too bad can't see him beating AC.
hahaha,maybe on a wheelchair:rolleyes::rolleyes: (or 2013 form,well that practicaly the same)

whittashau said:
This is the third time you've said this, and of course not. He probably just wanted to be up the front.

Mostly likely this was his reasoning to descend in a safer position. Ironic ending if it was.

I am as big a detractor of Contador as anyone, but I give him credit for soldiering on for as long as he did with the broken leg. That takes terrific courage and willpower.

It will always be a hypothetical argument, but count me as someone who thinks that Contador and Froome would've taken 10-15 seconds on Nibali on the climb.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
Very good idea,same with Rogers/Roche or both.

Nah that would just be silly. The TDF still gives the biggest exposure for sponsors by a huge margin over any other race. Rogers/Roche are both climbing well and have the form to contend for stages. If you take them out it's not guaranteed they'll arrive at la vuelta in good form considering they've both already done the giro, and for what purpose ? Helping Majka to a top 5 ?

I can understand Majka so they have a presence at la vuelta but taking R&R out of the TDF is a dumb move.

djpbaltimore said:
Mostly likely this was his reasoning to descend in a safer position. Ironic ending if it was.

I am as big a detractor of Contador as anyone, but I give him credit for soldiering on for as long as he did with the broken leg. That takes terrific courage and willpower.

It will always be a hypothetical argument, but count me as someone who thinks that Contador and Froome would've taken 10-15 seconds on Nibali on the climb.

Maybe against the pace Nibali was going, yes. Though the guy was smiling the last 1km to the finish. He was just making statement to the rest today, was not going even close to max yet.

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
Gutted for Contador, nice win Nibali. He really has to win this now he may never get a better chance with the top 2 now out and Quintana not there.

A final moan for Valverde! What on earth is this guy on? Just sit there at the back of the chasers and let Nibali ride away. Does he not even want to win this race? As usual he sprint past most of them in the final metres to make himself look great, I honestly hope he doesn't even make the podium!

he's on his bong 6 hours a day. what are you on! :D

LaFlorecita said:
His VAM was 1798m/h

Top-climbs-list.png

So no, but still a great performance

Thanks - except Pantani 1997 Alpe was the fastest ever ascent of the Alpe so sure why the chart has his 1995 ascent with a higher VAM? This casts doubt on the validity of the data.

But a shortish and steep finishing climb like today will always give a higher number all things being equal.

Cookster15 said:
Thanks - except Pantani 1997 Alpe was the fastest ever ascent of the Alpe so sure why the chart has his 1995 ascent with a higher VAM? This casts doubt on the validity of the data.

But a shortish and steep finishing climb like today will always give a higher number all things being equal.

Not sure, but I do remember Contador's VAM on Verbier being between 1850 and 1900.

TRENDING THREADS