• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Tour de France Stage 4: Le Touquet-Paris-Plage / Lille Métropole: 163km, flat

2014 Tour de France Stage 4: Le Touquet-Paris-Plage / Lille Métropole: 163km, flat

I'm sure we're all psyched for this!

PROFIL.png

PROFILKMS.png

Anything other than a sprint would be a huge surprise.

Still maybe the other sprinters' teams are bored of chasing the break only to lose to Kittel and will try some different tactics.... We can but hope!

Preview: http://www.c-cycling.com/
Coverage: http://www.steephill.tv/tour-de-france/#live

EDIT: Intermediate Sprint:
PROFILSPRINT.png

Weather:
250lf15.jpg

Posted this in the stage 3 thread but more relevant here:

Kittel is so dominant I think the other teams need to call Giant's bluff and refuse to chase.

... or try and get someone in the break. They probably won't be allowed but it might wear the Giant guys out a bit if they have to police and chase the initial break. Would be good fun if Lotto, Cannondale and OPQS just kept launching new attacks each time one got caught. There are enough riders down on time they could keep trying with people Astana don't really care about going up the road.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully the breakaway will be bigger than two riders tomorrow. With a few early hills (small as they are) that should be the case.

VeloHuman said:
Hopefully the breakaway will be bigger than two riders tomorrow. With a few early hills (small as they are) that should be the case.

Seriously. Was disappointed only 2 tried today. Even if it's doomed to fail 9/10 it at least gives a bit of interest to a stage.

Inevitable Kittel again tomorrow imo. Maybe something will throw a spanner in the works and liven it up though.

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Im hoping for a decent breakaway to succeed, but the flat run in indicates a bunch sprint yet again. Ho hum till stage 5 unless the winds kick up.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Would've been more fun if they put another couple of climbs in Heuvelland in there, instead of just the Kasselberg and the Zwarteberg. A mini Gent-Wevelgem before a mini Paris Roubaix would be nice.

Ah well, with the Sheffield stage and the cobble stage I can handle a couple of sprint stages I guess.

Also, why is the Kasselberg not a 4th cat but an intermediate sprint :p

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Jspear said:
Don't no anything about the wind...I do hope that there is hard cross winds as that usually takes a boring stage and makes it interesting to watch. Renshaw could even win then. If there are no cross winds then Kittel will take this easily. They are the new HTC from back in 2009.

Kittel's team is no HTC, though they only concentrate on sprints. HTC owned the sprints. Giant just usurp other team's efforts.

having said tht, crosswinds = echelons = OPQS win, tinkoff, movistar (nibali, if he wasnt caught napping) will assist OPQS and do a massive pull away from the rest.

i am praying for massive crosswinds. i cant endure one more dull stage like today's.

cud anyone plz post the map of last few kms? i want to know how many bends are there. chance for crash?

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I seem to remember Giant getting caught out in crosswinds last year. Tailwind should aid the break if there is a strong one. I'm hoping everyone throws someone out there to try and soften Giant up.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Is there anybody who is well prepared (an forum expert for cobble classics:)) for st5 thread?
I would like to read a bit of analysis as I dont know which cobble secteur is dangerous,attack possible etc :D

trevim said:
I hope Quickstep and Lotto stop being stupid and put someone in the break. Or at least don't help Giant pull them back otherwise they'll smash them in the final sprint.

If Steppers and Lotto want to play the "all yours" it can really only be done if they also put riders in the break imo.

Giant already have two stage wins and a day in yellow with Degenkolb in play on the cobbles stage and Kittel a shoe in for Paris. The other teams have zero results so far.

Without riders up the road, I certain Lotto and Steppers will blink first.

Lol @ the toughest climb of the day being to an intermediate sprint. It isn't steep, but it is cobbled.

casseldunkerque.png

Just once up it shouldn't cause any strife, but it does favour the likes of Sagan and Degenkolb over the Kittels of this world. The multi-time looping Mont Cassel stages in the 4 Jours de Dunkerque have always been among the most entertaining racing days of the year, and therefore it was horrifying to discover last year that they were disappearing.