• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Tour De France stage Stage 2: York – Sheffield: 201km

Page 33 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If it were just RVV that made him dislikable, perhaps I could have buried the hatchet and forgiven him by now (only perhaps though). Alas, it is not. Even if it were, it may be enough for me to really struggle to forgive him by now. As things stand, however, they are but the most obnoxious examples of his behaviour, and as such they are the ones that get brought up the most.

I would also say that "sexual harassment" is a much tougher stick to overlook than "wheelsucking" or "permanent whining".

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
If it were just RVV that made him dislikable, perhaps I could have buried the hatchet and forgiven him by now (only perhaps though). Alas, it is not.

Well this sentence reads a lot more like hate than dislike !

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
If it were just RVV that made him dislikable, perhaps I could have buried the hatchet and forgiven him by now (only perhaps though). Alas, it is not. Even if it were, it may be enough for me to really struggle to forgive him by now. As things stand, however, they are but the most obnoxious examples of his behaviour, and as such they are the ones that get brought up the most.

I would also say that "sexual harassment" is a much tougher stick to overlook than "wheelsucking" or "permanent whining".
you just dont like him cuz he dominated too many races :D even tho he was very young:p

Originally Posted by SKSemtex
Libertine, I do not want to quarrel with you here. I respect you, your opinion, your job you have done here regarding stage profiles. It is just that I saw again your famous: Backpfeifengesicht, and therefore it is better for me never to have to see his stupid face.

This is not "not liking" this is hate for me. We all know e.g. that Netserk dislike Cance but nobody can say he hate him. That is the difference.
We have a proverb: He who wants to beat the dog will always find a stick.
Any of us has some “stick”: permanent whining, wheelsucking, arrogance, complaining about teammates etc. Your one is RVV and stupid T-shirt.
I do not blame you. You do not have to like him . We are fans. The difference between me and you is that my “hate” lasts few days and I always try to find the way how to like or at least respect. I just hope you can also close one day his failure on RVV.

Tbf I do think Canc is a Backpfeifengesicht :p

veji11 said:
Of course, I am far from saying that his tour is going down the drain ! But nevertheless, the situation isn't as easy as it sounds, and has gotten significantly tougher compared to last year :
- If the route is hardish (some hills or cobbles), enough to drop the big sprinters but not too hard to drop them all, he has to contend with Degenkolb now, who has proved to be his match or more for the last 6 months, as opposed to the situation one year ago. On the stage to St Etienne for example, as well as to Nancy and Bergerac where some well placed little bumps could drop Kittel, Démare and co, he will have to deal with Degenkolb, not a done deal nowadays.
- IF the route is actually harde, like today or say Oyonnax or even harder Gerardmer, well he has to deal with Kwiatowski, who might be too tired but for 6 months has proven better than him on such routes, and Valverde + Gerrans who have proved this year to be on form.

So compare that to the situation the last few years where he didn't seem to have rivals in those type of routes, and the situation can seem less rosy. Again I agree, the tour is long and I would be surprised if he didn't win one at least, and my bet is on 2. But for the first time in 3 years I can see him winning none. Unlikely but distinctively possible : a weakish team for its workload + significantly stronger rivals is not a good combination.

I would like to mention Kristoff here somewhere as well, only 35s + today, pretty decent of a mainbunchsprintguy.

Sciocco said:
I still think it boils down to success leading to animosity. Don't remember people *****ing about Froome pre-2012, maybe some in 11 vuelta? Wiggins and Cav have also been successful. Actually if you go back to 10/11 I remember seeing a lot of *****ing about A. Schleck. There are other British riders who do not seem to get much hatred. Yates brothers for example. Maybe when they get some real success in the pro peloton they'll be hated. I find it hard to personally cheer based on nationality, but I do not see any reason why it is not ok.

Also it is a good counter to the idiots on Eurosport. After listening to them all but **************** team sky and froome, it is nice to hear the other side.

Nobody hates Nibali or Contador when they do well but if Ryder, Chris F, or Chris H. win a GT they practically have to shut down this forum or if they do not a horrible period of shameful antiwhite rhetoric comes out. there are mods here that still insists Andy Schleck has never won a single race. Its really sickening but dont mistake it for people hating success, they hate white or light skinned people ESPECIALLY if they are from North America. Since this is an english forum presumably its a lot of self-hating white people that feel inferior for some reason related to Lance Armstrong duping them

myrideissteelerthanyours said:
Nobody hates Nibali or Contador when they do well but if Ryder, Chris F, or Chris H. win a GT they practically have to shut down this forum or if they do not a horrible period of shameful antiwhite rhetoric comes out. there are mods here that still insists Andy Schleck has never won a single race. Its really sickening but dont mistake it for people hating success, they hate white or light skinned people ESPECIALLY if they are from North America. Since this is an english forum presumably its a lot of self-hating white people that feel inferior for some reason related to Lance Armstrong duping them
Yes it is quite pathetic that the only stage race Andy has won was an amateur one, but I don't have anything against white people, otherwise surely I wouldn't have cheered on Rasmussen (Or Landis for that matter)?

Just finished watching the recording of today's stage.

I thought today was a fantastic stage. Brits put up a great, challenging course, showcasing the countryside beautifully, and challenging the riders. Lots of opportunities for attacks.

Great win by Nibali. Took his chance at a great time and no one would chase as they all regard him as just a hair below Froome and Contador. The seconds won't mean anything, but the win was great.

The crowds are just fantastic. They're putting on a great show.

One of the more entertaining and beautiful GT stages I've seen in a while, particularly in the first week of the Tour. Beautiful.

red_flanders said:
Just finished watching the recording of today's stage.

I thought today was a fantastic stage. Brits put up a great, challenging course, showcasing the countryside beautifully, and challenging the riders. Lots of opportunities for attacks.

Great win by Nibali. Took his chance at a great time and no one would chase as they all regard him as just a hair below Froome and Contador. The seconds won't mean anything, but the win was great.

The crowds are just fantastic. They're putting on a great show.

One of the more entertaining and beautiful GT stages I've seen in a while, particularly in the first week of the Tour. Beautiful.
Agree, also very nice how it sets up the rest of the first week with so many riders so far behind in GC. Hopefully that'll lead to better/bigger (and more often successful) breaks and fewer riders jostling for position (and therefore fewer crashes).

Sagan all the way. Valverde will be 2nd. Gerrans, Jrod, and Kwiatkowski will all be there as well.

Several types of rider can win this stage:
*Punchers: Valverde, Rodriguez...
*Decent climbers with a sprint: Gerrans, Rui Costa...
*Sprinters that can hang on: Sagan
*Attackers: Voeckler, Chavanel, Bakelants...

Froome must show some signs of life after Dauphine failure,i believe he will give it a go but Valverde should normally win this.

Sagan is a no brainer.Others could be Terpstra/Bakalents, Spartacus,....Voeckler was taking it pretty cool today. he will attack tomorrow for sure.

Michael Albasini will be a nice alternative for OGE if Gerrans is feeling rough.

Looks like a nice course for Slagter

So much for the expertise of Cycling News commentators!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, this is certainly kind of stage that can provide much action. I'm not sure if serious GC contenders will want to race, though.

Nibali (1st), Kwiatkoski (3rd), Talansky (7th), Mollema (8th), van Garderen (9th), Bardel (10th), van den Broeck (11th), Contador (13th), Rui Costa (14th)

Where is that Octopus that predicts World Cup games?

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
RobbieCanuck said:

Nibali (1st), Kwiatkoski (3rd), Talansky (7th), Mollema (8th), van Garderen (9th), Bardel (10th), van den Broeck (11th), Contador (13th), Rui Costa (14th)

What is this? Your way of saying no one on this forum knows anything because some people's predictions weren't correct? :confused: That's kind of insulting IMO.

Many of those predictions are accurate as well. Sagan placed 4th, Froome did give it a go on the climb, Voeckler attacked earlier, Albasini (who you leave out of the placings for some reason) was 6th. Gerrans was on a bad day but probably would have been closer if he hadn't crashed yesterday.

RobbieCanuck said:

This stage had Sagan written all over it, and even though noone predicted Nibali to win, it's not like anyone was taken completely by surprise.

RobbieCanuck said:

Pff, I have correctly predicted Kwiatkowski to come in 3rd today, come at me.

Afrank said:
What is this? Your way of saying no one on this forum knows anything because some people's predictions weren't correct? :confused: That's kind of insulting IMO.

Many of those predictions are accurate as well. Sagan placed 4th, Froome did give it a go on the climb, Voeckler attacked earlier, Albasini (who you leave out of the placings for some reason) was 6th. Gerrans was on a bad day but probably would have been closer if he hadn't crashed yesterday.

Touchy are we? That is not what I said. I was merely commenting on the pathetic predictions for Stage 2 tongue in cheek. I am sure you will get them all correct for the next 19 stages given your vast expertise. You need to develop a thicker skin and a sense of humour!

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
RobbieCanuck said:
Touchy are we? That is not what I said. I was merely commenting on the pathetic predictions for Stage 2 tongue in cheek. I am sure you will get them all correct for the next 19 stages given your vast expertise. You need to develop a thicker skin and a sense of humour!

I don't get how those predictions were pathetic. They all look pretty reasonable to me.

And I just don't see the point of re-posting other peoples predictions that weren't 100% accurate.

And I've got over 7,000 posts, which means I'm super cycling knowledgeable. So yes, you will see every one of my next 19 stage predictions come true. :cool:

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
10:34
mrhender said:
I think the breakaway attempts will be massive today..
Every team with self-respect and ablity of course will have a guy there..

Will be interesting to see who will take control in the peleton, can't really se it beeing the heavy sprinters teams..

The breakaway will probably be 12-20 guys involving some strong puncheurs thus the peleton will be left for GC teams to control and decide pace..

I don't think they (GC teams) will worry much about yellow, so good chance for the breakaway if enough teams are represented within..

This one for Avermaet.. Time for him to step up..

RobbieCanuck said:

Well I for one am pretty happy with my prediction..
Not perfectly right but close :)

Sagan is a great bike racer...I know this cos every commentator tells me , cos he descends so well , cos he manages to be up with the climbers on the steep hills, cos he has a very good sprint and can finish behind Kittel or Cavandish

I don't really know it cos he has won any big races

TRENDING THREADS