• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Tour de Suisse: Stage 8: Delémont→Verbier (219 Km)

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Arredondo said:
Mat White also said in interviews they trully believes in Chaves. They want to bring him very slowly because they know he's got great potential. In the Vuelta he will be their team leader, and i can't see a lot of better climbers around there.

Rodriguez, Betancur, Contador, Quintana, Uran ...

:D

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
You wonder how much time Froome or Contador would have taken here.

Or any of the Giro guys.. Aru, Kelderman, Majka, they'd all win easily

You underestimate Chavez. In base he's a lot better climber then Kelderman, or Majka, and even Aru i think.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
BqqFwbjIQAAsQxM.jpg

what will they put today i wonder. snoozefest until 500 meters to the top. legendary davide formolo attacks...

what a disgrace of a day

Look at the bright side.

Tony Martin manages to hold on to Yellow jersey today. he managed improved his 2009 performance in this & finish top-10.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Gloin22 said:
Rodriguez, Betancur, Contador, Quintana, Uran ...

:D

Betancur isn't, just the same as Uran. The only better climber on paper is Quintana, and perhaps Rodriguez because of his age and maturity. But Purito is going to ride the Tour, so he isn't as fresh as Chaves in the Vuelta. Contador the same.

Chaves is young, so a bad day is possible. And his TT isn't really good, he will lose quite a lot of time there ofc.

murali said:
Among those listed, ppl should not confuse Velits as peter velits, who can hold on a bit in the climbs. this is Martin Velits. he is not a climber at all.

I know that. Thats why I listed the names. Neither of them is a good climber. Trentin may comer over some hills but the rest of them is just a help for Tony in the flat parts.

trevim said:
Do you think he should try for GC in the Vuelta? Or a more relaxed approach chasing stage wins?

Bring him on 'easy' and don't set ridiculous expectations this season. Certainly give him 'protection' in the peleton and look to place him favourably at the foot of the major climbs and then see what he's up for on that particular day.

Over the next season at least, I'd rather they set the GC aspirations for either he or the Yates twins at 1 week tour level (either WT or the likes of TOC or Turkey). At this point, whilst not horrible TTers, none of them are at the level to seriously contend with the "big boys". Given OGE's depth in TTers and emphasis on TTT, I suspect this is an area where considerable work may be done with all three.

Jagartrott said:
Neither Frank nor Costa is an explosive rider. I'll be very interested in seeing just how far Martin can go when he really makes the effort. It's hard to tell, as normally he has no interest in trying to follow uphill. Now he has, so I wonder if these guys can shake him off just like that.

He did confirm what I thought.
I felt that (1) Martin seemed in really good shape, (2) he looked very lean and slim, (3) he did seem to feel comfortable on the climbs throughout this TdS. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
He is, but he didn't have the Giro in his legs. Don't forget the Giro superform thing

Yeah sure, but last weekend of Suisse is something else then first weekend of Dauphiné. Ok, Kruiswijk won on Triesenberg in 2011 after his fantastic Giro, but it's alsways unsure if a ''Giro-rider'' can hold his best form till the end of the TDS.

But you're right about the Post-Giro form.

Akuryo said:
I know that. Thats why I listed the names. Neither of them is a good climber. Trentin may comer over some hills but the rest of them is just a help for Tony in the flat parts.

So Tonys teammates arent **** compared to ACs in Dauphine cause those were supposed to be better while these aren't, or what is it you are trying to convey?

trevim said:
Do you think he should try for GC in the Vuelta? Or a more relaxed approach chasing stage wins?

Bring him on 'easy' and don't set ridiculous expectations this season. Certainly give him 'protection' in the peleton and look to place him favourably at the foot of the major climbs and then see what he's up for on that particular day.

Over the next season at least, I'd rather they set the GC aspirations for either he or the Yates twins at 1 week tour level (either WT or the likes of TOC or Turkey). At this point, whilst not horrible TTers, none of them are at the level to seriously contend with the "big boys". Given OGE's depth in TTers and emphasis on TTT, I suspect this is an area where considerable work may be done with all three.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Some guys already took the time on the climb..

5 minutes slower than 2009. But they also said that the last 4km where about the same pace as Andy in 2009 (Contador still a kit faster).
Its in the first 5.5km the peloton went really slow.

Really? Even worse than i thought :eek:

In 2012 with the rain and with a tougher stage they were only 1 minute slower than Contador.