• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Tour Down Under Stage 3: Norwood -> Campbelltown, 145km (2.WT)

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The fridge in the blue trees said:
Evans is winning the second least important WT race (only Beijing worth less, barely) and that shows he's back? Back in Australia, that's about it.
Just look at the podium of last year's TDU as an indicator of a successful season ahead: Slagter, Javi Moreno, and Geraint Thomas.

But it's better to start your season like this, than in absolute cr.p shape, I reckon.

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
stefank said:
Yes and no. At the end of the season a World Tour point is a World Tour point, whether it was won at the TDU or the TdF.

Ofcourse, you're absolutely right about that. What I meant is that being good in the TDU doesn't say a lot about the rest of your season. Slagter obviously peaked for this race last year and won it, but the rest of his season was hardly succesful. Great ride by Evans, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Der Effe said:
Exactly, this race means nothing. Maybe even less than nothing. It's a WT race, thus nice to win (especially when you're an Australian racing in your own country) but it says absolutely nothing about your season, as it is way too early and races of any importance are too far away still.

Er. if you are Evans and you have a choice of winning your only home WT race or not what would you prefer? Of course the TDU doesn't mean much in terms of the Giro but to downplay his ride today is poor form.

He can only beat who turns up and Richie Porte & Co aren't mugs - even if it's only January. Don't forget he just rode the corkscrew -9% at 24kph. That's serious wattage I don't care if it's 'only' 2.4km or 'only' a minor WT race.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The fridge in the blue trees said:
Evans is winning the second least important WT race (only Beijing worth less, barely) and that shows he's back? Back in Australia, that's about it.

don't bother with auscyclefan, he is a bigger fanboy than girls cutting themselves for justin bieber

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
stefank said:
Yes and no. At the end of the season a World Tour point is a World Tour point, whether it was won at the TDU or the TdF.

no it's not. teams, fans and media won't care one bit about tdu or beijing. at the end of the year a stage win in the tour is 100x winning tdu, wether you get more points or not

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
no it's not. teams, fans and media won't care one bit about tdu or beijing. at the end of the year a stage win in the tour is 100x winning tdu, wether you get more points or not

That does still make it important for teams though.

Ryo Hazuki said:

It is as far as points are concerned, prestige is another matter altogether. It does seem noticeable (regardless of what some fans may think) that in the past few years (since the Lance comeback circus) that more teams seem to take the TDU seriously. This is probably because they know they can earn genuine WT points there.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
stefank said:
It is as far as points are concerned, prestige is another matter altogether. It does seem noticeable (regardless of what some fans may think) that in the past few years (since the Lance comeback circus) that more teams seem to take the TDU seriously. This is probably because they know they can earn genuine WT points there.

it seems wt teams don't take down under serious at all. there is a 2.1 race going on in argentina right now with a far better rider field than this

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Nice to see Cadel back again! Must have been really great winning like that at home, and with tons of local fans on Corkscrew Hill. I missed his minimalistic "victory salute" :D

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Christian said:
Nice to see Cadel back again! Must have been really great winning like that at home, and with tons of local fans on Corkscrew Hill. I missed his minimalistic "victory salute" :D

Yeah, it was nearly the exact same salute as his 2009 WC victory. It is a very 'Cadel' salute I must admit.:p

Yeah, Der Effe, but look at 2012. Gerrans won TDU, and then won MSR, came second in San Sebastien and won Quebec.
After his 2012 second, Valverde won Andalucia, a Tour stage, a stage in Paris-Nice and got podiums in the WRR, Vuelta, Paris Nice and others.

They ended up 5th and 6th in the UCI World Tour that year.

Great win by Evans and BMC looked strong. Did not expect Gerrans and Porte to be gapped but it was obvious most of the way up the climb who was the strongest. Not over yet But Gerrans or Ulissi will have to win on Willunga and put some time into Evans. Not sure they will do it after today especially if BMC keep the pace high on Willunga.

Evans polarises opinions. It would not matter if he won by 2 seconds or 2 minutes. Some fans just can't stand him but have a look at the top 4 on GC at San Luis and the top 4 at the TDU. Wow some big names fighting it out in South America which is why it's a lower ranked race, a training ride for most. Every year we have the same argument offered up. Some people just can't stand Evans winning and have to start knocking the race. No one is saying their season is defined by the TDU results but if stages can be taken, why not ? Not everyone wants to ride the season like Andy Schleck.

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
skidmark said:
That is pretty much how I feel as well, although thinking about why I was cheering for Cadel, it wasn't only his opponents, but the guy has kind of grown on me. He's too much of a dork to really be called an 'iconoclast', but he certainly marches to the beat of his own drum. Now that he's kind of past his physical prime and the adulation of the Anglo world isn't on him as much anymore with Wiggo, Foome, Porte etc, I realize that most of my dislike for him was kind of related to backlash towards that (and the fact that he didn't actually use to attack). But he's really grown on me since his worlds win, since his awesome chase of Schleck in the stage that saved the 2011 Tour, in his weird, understated victory celebrations, and in the fact that he seems to look like he's digging deeper than so many other riders when he's put to the limit. The guy has shown alot of class in recent years, and I'll probably be cheering for him more than before until he retires.

There's no quit in Cadel.

If I remember correctly of what was discussed here last year when Thomas won this stage, the big question is: For how much will Evans win Liége-Bastogne-Liége? My bet is 1-1.5min; I may revise my opinion if he hangs on in the fearsome Willunga Hill.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Evans polarises opinions. It would not matter if he won by 2 seconds or 2 minutes. Some fans just can't stand him but have a look at the top 4 on GC at San Luis and the top 4 at the TDU. Wow some big names fighting it out in South America which is why it's a lower ranked race, a training ride for most. Every year we have the same argument offered up. Some people just can't stand Evans winning and have to start knocking the race. No one is saying their season is defined by the TDU results but if stages can be taken, why not ? Not everyone wants to ride the season like Andy Schleck.

Spot on and to argue that professional teams don't take the race seriously is simply laughable.

Evans completed the Corkscrew climb (2.5km @9%) in 6:30. That equated to around 7-7.2w/kg according to some estimates.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts