• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Volta a Catalunya, Stage 7: Barcelona (Montjuic) (121 Km)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
manafana said:
someone on twitter said the last lap is in fact a double climb? not sure if this is the finish or not

same course as last year

circuito-de-montjuic-volta-2013.png

LaFlorecita said:
I think so too. Contador will try everything but Rodriguez will be able to follow.

Then Contador uses his new sprint skills and beats Rodriguez to win the stage and the overall :D :p

I know that Purito is faster than Contador on a steep uphill sprint - but does he have an edge on a flatter sprint against Contador? Can he sprint similar to Valverde when it's not as steep.....I can't think of anytime where these two would have sprinted it out on something flatter to get a reference point.

Jspear said:
I know that Purito is faster than Contador on a steep uphill sprint - but does he have an edge on a flatter sprint against Contador? Can he sprint similar to Valverde when it's not as steep.....I can't think of anytime where these two would have sprinted it out on something flatter to get a reference point.
The Oman stage Froome won last year. (Contador 2nd, Purito 3rd)

However in such a three-man sprint, position and timing are at least as important as pure speed, so it's hard to extrapolate anything meaningful from it.

Netserk said:
The Oman stage Froome won last year. (Contador 2nd, Purito 3rd)

However in such a three-man sprint, position and timing are at least as important as pure speed, so it's hard to extrapolate anything meaningful from it.

Yep Contador was very close to winning that sprint but Purito had done a lot of work and didn't even seem to bother.

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Jspear said:

It could go either way, but Purito is generally faster.. He has beaten Contador in a flat sprint before.
http://www.procyclingstats.com/race.php?id=107845

He was also faster than the other top climbers in the Giro 2012 on flat ground..
http://www.procyclingstats.com/race.php?id=112666

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Panda Claws said:
In Lombardia 2011 (sprint for 2nd place)

1. Daniel Martin
2. Joaquim Rodriguez
3. Ivan Basso
4. Przemyslaw Niemiec
5. Domenico Pozzovivo

I'd say he is faster than Contador.

That guy just can't sprint. :p

weird dream last night about apparently contador crashing very ugly two times, taken by ambulance. also apparently he was on skis wtf

hopefully no crashes today. i've read that they changed the route any idea?
vamos alberto! i think he will win overall

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
According to twitter, the're not going to race to the top of the Montjuich due to the bad weather conditions.

Laura Meseguer ‏@Laura_Meseguer 31 min.
La organización de la Volta ha reducido el descenso de Montjuic en 600 mts aprox debido a la lluvia. La etapa serán 5 kms menos

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Purito is just faster on the flat. Just take the single flat sprint they did together. In the Tour 2010, Mende, Purito beated Conta in a flat sprint. And it was about a stage win in the Tour, and Contador was very motivated to win that.

And in 2003 (i know, a long time ago ;)), he beated in PN these guys.

1. Purito
2. Latasa
3. Brochard
4. Chavanel
5. Sammy Sanchez

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Arredondo said:
According to twitter, the're not going to race to the top of the Montjuich due to the bad weather conditions.

Laura Meseguer ‏@Laura_Meseguer 31 min.
La organización de la Volta ha reducido el descenso de Montjuic en 600 mts aprox debido a la lluvia. La etapa serán 5 kms menos

What? It's a 165 m hill. Am I missing something?

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
weird dream last night about apparently contador crashing very ugly two times, taken by ambulance. also apparently he was on skis wtf

hopefully no crashes today. i've read that they changed the route any idea?
vamos alberto! i think he will win overall

I don't even want to know what you smoked before going to bed

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Carols said:
Guess they want to ensure a Purito victory in his home grounds.....

If they want to ensure his victory, they had to mantain the stage;)

Purito is better on these kind of climbs, so it would be more logical if he drops Conta.

TRENDING THREADS