• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Vuelta a España, Stage 14: Santander → La Camperona. (201 Km)

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
This was a great ride from Froome, but he gained a whopping 7 seconds on a Contador who is still 1:13 ahead and still recovering from a broken leg. It seems a bit early for the Sky fans to start their circle jerk.

Maybe you forgot Froome was injured too:eek:About that broken leg i wouldn't bet about it.But you are right,normally Contador should be able to defend that lead.

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Gnaaah, what a stage. Damn incredible racing. Hesjedal coming out off there, behind the motorbikes... uh, goosebumps. Bertie, Froome, Purito, Valverde, Aru... what a Vuelta!
hail.gif

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Piz Buin said:
This

TANK,
You're statement that froome was the most exciting rider was stupid and constant repetition doesnt make it any more true. That's what i was annoyed about. I don't hate froome or any other person.

Thats ok just so you know Contador has been the best this year out the two i was not saying that i just should not have said FACT when it is an opinion but i do feel you jumped the gun abit i use to be fairly bad towards Contador but look at my posts about him when he withdrew i was gutted. I want to see the best.

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
MoreGravityPerKilo said:
Gnaaah, what a stage. Damn incredible racing. Hesjedal coming out off there, behind the motorbikes... uh, goosebumps. Vuelta!
hail.gif

Yea big respect to Ryder but biggest winner is Froome for sure. Brailsford knows what's up I'm pretty sure the rest are being played right now, their that confident in his ability and power.
Also some good riding from Aru and Martin.

TANK91 said:
Not sure maybe Romandie with Spilak why does that matter lol he as not had too. He is clearly not in great shape how come he lost loads in an ITT? All im saying isit is a very gutsy rider by him i maybe went a bit over the top but you telling me their is much diff between Froome and Contador? Their easily the most fun too watch in mountains imo?

It's important, because it is part of the reason people think Contador is so exciting. And part of the reason why Froome is not the most exciting rider unless you are his fan.

SeriousSam said:
What was Valverde thinking with that early attack? :(

It was the only place he could ever dream of droping the other guys. If he was going to attack, those were the slopes. He is not the rider for the incredible steep stuff. He did what he had to do, he just could not drop the others (or Contador, as he was the only one who responded the attackm the others just followed).

Moose McKnuckles said:
This was a great ride from Froome, but he gained a whopping 7 seconds on a Contador who is still 1:13 ahead and still recovering from a broken leg. It seems a bit early for the Sky fans to start their circle jerk.

What about the glorious 'mental victory' for Froome? So many posters during the Dauphine were declaring a great mental victory for Contador for not getting dropped by Froome on the first mountain stage. So it is not only Sky fans that resort to hyperbolic arguments.

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
SeriousSam said:
What was Valverde thinking with that early attack? :(

Not wise, but atleast he tried something...maybe he reads the CN forum? :D
I wonder would've racing been that aggressive (apart from the possible sprint to the line) hadn't Valverde attacked? AC, Purito and Froome seemed content following. The reason for all later attacks could be that some people were pushed beyond the equilibrium and others wanted to take advantage of that.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
It's important, because it is part of the reason people think Contador is so exciting. And part of the reason why Froome is not the most exciting rider unless you are his fan.

As Froome been more exciting last 2 years?. You cant say because im his fan when you will probably not even agree with me last 2 years Froome has been the agressor in the mountains. It was very good ride today Flo he lost nearly a min to Alberto in an ITT. What i mean is Froome has not been in a position to do it that is all. You cant say he should have attacked in 2012 Vuelta becasue he was in real bad shape so show me when he should have attacked from afar.

You can even back me up on my stance to Contador i said every day im becoming more a fan ive been consistent with that what was i like when he abandoned? I was not even comparing them at first luck at what i said. Maybe i got caught up in the moment because i thought he would lose time when he dropped Alberto i could not believe it it was unexpected you probably agree with that i did not think he could:D.

escheator said:
Not wise, but atleast he tried something...maybe he reads the CN forum? :D
I wonder would've racing been that aggressive (apart from the possible sprint to the line) hadn't Valverde attacked? AC, Purito and Froome seemed content following. The reason for all later attacks could be that some people were pushed beyond the equilibrium and others wanted to take advantage of that.

It was wise. The way I see it, Valverde would have been dropped on the steeper slopes anyway - that is not his terrain. He did not know how others would respond to his attack, but he knew that those softer ramps were the ideal spot for him to try something, given his caracteristics. Unfortunatly he could not drop the others, but it was the only thing he could do if he was to attack.

LaFlorecita said:

The problem with that line of reasoning is that you are cherry picking what you personally find exciting and using that as the sole criteria to judge a rider. Froome by most measures is a very exciting rider because of his unpredictability.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
cineteq said:
Btw, good stage to get rid of Froome once and for all.

Netserk said:
A stage =/= tomorrow's stage

It's waaaaaaaay too steep for Froome tomorrow.

Good calls... not.
That happens with bold predictions. They go down the toilet, and look embarassing in the end. :D

Sorry, don´t wanna hurt anybody. But I couldn´t resist to quote...

BigMac said:
Cringing at the Valverde bash. If he doesn't attack, he's a shameless wheelsucker, if he does, he's as dumb as a rock for doing so. You are incredible. He attacked on the only section he could make the difference, he's not the rider for the uber steep slopes. He failed, but tried. It was the only way if he wanted to distance the others, he just could not. You'd be choking on your own hate had he just sat there in the wheel of Contador.

+1 it's never good for some people. Allthough it's dangerous to say, because maybe the people who say Valverde is stupid now don't say he is a wheelsucker. Maybe they do, but I can't keep up with fingerpointing and riderbashing here.

One of the reasons I start liking Froome more and more is because of the shameful bashing of him on this forum. No matter what he does he is either stupid, boring or whatever.
Also the fact he isn't all superhuman anymore helps the fact that I like him more :)

DFA123 said:
He should have been saving his strength to help Contador in the next couple of days. Now he has gone deeply into the red and has nothing to show for it.

My thoughts Exactly. Totally selfish riding IMO.

Meanwhile Chapeau Ryder! He needed a good one considering how this Vuelta has gone for him to date. Happy for the man :).

Froome wow. It is just bizarre......has he been sandbagging all along and just had a bad ITT? Man makes me scratch my head in wonder LOL! Shoot if Alberto has a bad day he could win this thing!

Bala well credit for trying something. At least he had a stage win and wore the jersey. He's probably cooked now after that Tour ride.