• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Vuelta a España, Stage 14: Santander → La Camperona. (201 Km)

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Netserk said:
He didn't win the stage, did he? ;) :p

It wasn´t about the win or not. And you know it. (Hell, there even was bold statements by others that a break would have no chance, if not hitting the last climb with 10 mins+... all down the toilet too.)

MBotero said:
You are right i said he'll win it,but it wasn't too steep for him,it was similar with Pena Cabarga with some flat start:D

Bolded for you. :p

LaFlorecita said:
It was the subjective part I was replying to. Surely everyone agrees attacking from far out is exciting.

My point was that attacking from far out is not the only criteria to measure a rider's exitingness, is it? I'm sure some can find other other traits in Froome they like and/or find interesting. And you don't have to be a fan of him to realize it.

sir fly said:
Exactly!
That's why no one will come near to Andy Schleck's greatness!

^^

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
cineteq said:
No hurt feelings, but is La Vuelta over? ;)

:confused:
But good that you read my post. :)

As I said I didn´t wanna attack any of you.
I did bold statements a lot, which looked pretty bad after. Thus I reduced them to a minimum. Cycling is unpredictable... good so.

Why did Valverde attack at the bottom of the climb??! seems completely pointless to me. i can only imagine its pure ego. Surely an experienced pro like him should be doing whatever it takes to get to the top in the quickest time and attacking at the bottom is not that!

no way would Froome have finished in front of Contador and Purito if they had all just ridden up at the same pace. very strange tactics really. you wudda thought by now that top pro riders wouldnt be riding up 3km walls by starting off with a big attack!

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
BigMac said:
It was the only place he could ever dream of droping the other guys. If he was going to attack, those were the slopes. He is not the rider for the incredible steep stuff. He did what he had to do, he just could not drop the others (or Contador, as he was the only one who responded the attackm the others just followed).

I guess you're right. Can't blame him for having a go at dropping Contador though it did hurt his podium prospects with Froome, Purito, Contador and even Aru now climbing better than he does.

willbick said:
Why did Valverde attack at the bottom of the climb??! seems completely pointless to me. i can only imagine its pure ego. Surely an experienced pro like him should be doing whatever it takes to get to the top in the quickest time and attacking at the bottom is not that!

no way would Froome have finished in front of Contador and Purito if they had all just ridden up at the same pace. very strange tactics really. you wudda thought by now that top pro riders wouldnt be riding up 3km walls by starting off with a big attack!

10char 10char

BigMac said:
It was wise. The way I see it, Valverde would have been dropped on the steeper slopes anyway - that is not his terrain. He did not know how others would respond to his attack, but he knew that those softer ramps were the ideal spot for him to try something, given his caracteristics. Unfortunatly he could not drop the others, but it was the only thing he could do if he was to attack.

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
:confused:
But good that you read my post. :)

As I said I didn´t wanna attack any of you.
I did bold statements a lot, which looked pretty bad after. Thus I reduced them to a minimum. Cycling is unpredictable... good so.

I guess you are really sad that Horner is not here,what do you think would have made of this amateurs today?:p

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
willbick said:

The element of surprise is very important in an attack and he really surprised the GC guys and they had to start the wall at a really high pace...its a pity that Valverde didnt have the legs to push on ...Froome played it smart and didnt give a damn about Valverde's attack

LaFlorecita said:
Which is why I wrote: "PART of the reason". Sheesh.

You wrote: ''And part of the reason why Froome is not the most exciting rider unless you are his fan.'' I told you that you don't have to be his fan in order to consider him the most exiting rider because it is subjective. Just that.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
MBotero said:
I guess you are really sad that Horner is not here,what do you think would have made of this amateurs today?:p

No actually I like it that he´s gone. It was wayy too much embarassing...
BTW, like your call before the stage.
Leave the break (no one predicted to get trou) and you hit the nail. Respect.

SeriousSam said:
I guess you're right. Can't blame him for having a go at dropping Contador though it did hurt his podium prospects with Froome, Purito, Contador and even Aru now climbing better than he does.

It might not have hurt his podium prospects that much. If he hadn't done the attack and the others were fresher coming on to the steeper bits, he might have lost even more time.

He probably won't do too badly on Lagos tomorrow - the gentle last 2km should help him limit any losses.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
indianfanboy said:
The element of surprise is very important in an attack and he really surprised the GC guys and they had to start the wall at a really high pace...its a pity that Valverde didnt have the legs to push on ...Froome played it smart and didnt give a damn about Valverde's attack

Froome doesn't give a damn about anyone's attacks. He just rides looking at his stem and keeping an eye on riders in front of him when he has to overtake them. We're lucky his stem didn't seem to work in the ITT so he's now forced to gain time.