• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Vuelta, Stage 21 TT: Santiago de Compostela→Santiago de Compostela (9.7 Km)

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
20po3fc.jpg

21_perfil.png

Final Km's
1uk.png

Weather
etp21.png

General Classification after Stage 20
1 CONTADOR VELASCO, Alberto (TINKOFF-SAXO) 81:12:13
2 FROOME, Christopher (SKY) + 1:37
3 VALVERDE BELMONTE, Alejandro (MOVISTAR) + 2:35
4 RODRIGUEZ OLIVER, Joaquin (KATUSHA) + 3:57
5 ARU, Fabio (ASTANA) + 4:46
6 SANCHEZ GONZALEZ, Samuel (BMC RACING) + 10:07
7 MARTIN, Daniel (GARMIN SHARP) + 10:24
8 BARGUIL, Warren (GIANT-SHIMANO) + 12:13
9 NAVARRO GARCIA, Daniel (COFIDIS, SOLUTIONS CREDITS) + 13:09
10 CARUSO, Damiano (CANNONDALE) + 13:15

It's all over but the crying folks.

Apart from Froome, who could find the course a bit technical to find much rhythm, who are the favourites for this one?

Most of the big TT names are missing; maybe Dennis or Sergent? Not sure how much Malori will have left after the mountains.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
DFA123 said:
Apart from Froome, who could find the course a bit technical to find much rhythm, who are the favourites for this one?

Most of the big TT names are missing; maybe Dennis or Sergent? Not sure how much Malori will have left after the mountains.

Kelderman, Dennis, Evans, Millar, Talansky, Malori, Froome, Contador, Sergent, Vandewalle.

Likely more then a few of those guys won't do anything. I think it will be either between Froome and Contador, or a TTer like Malori or Vandewalle for example will get it.

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Rohan will probably take the stage win, as I think he's been saving some matches and lack of depth in the field. After him the GC supermen, but I wouldn't be surprised at a reshuffle for third podium place.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
agree. the last stage, if its a TT, should have a real punch.

i really wud like to see Rohan win this. Without real challengers, the options for a winner are limited.

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Not to jinx, but it's been a pretty remarkable race in terms of the lack of crashes or mechanicals for the gc. Hopefully they don't rear their ugly heads tomorrow.

yespatterns said:
Not to jinx, but it's been a pretty remarkable race in terms of the lack of crashes or mechanicals for the gc. Hopefully they don't rear their ugly heads tomorrow.

You think so? Has seemed about average to me. Quintana being the obvious one, but I think Valverde went down in the first week and Martin has crashed a couple of times as well.

True about the lack of mechanicals though; I guess the fact it was dry most days helped.

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
DFA123 said:
You think so? Has seemed about average to me. Quintana being the obvious one, but I think Valverde went down in the first week and Martin has crashed a couple of times as well.

True about the lack of mechanicals though; I guess the fact it was dry most days helped.

Sorry you are right on the crashes, I suppose I was looking at the remaining gc, and the not insurmountable time gaps. What a weird year for the grand tours. It's such a shame the TDF had a good design but a light field. Ah well, there's always next year.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Looked like Evans had an easier day today finishing 28 mins back. Considering it's potentially his last GT stage I think we could see a really strong ride from him. 6th in the other ITT too. I just saw odds on him for 150/1, that's worth a bet imo.

Dazed and Confused said:
Not often I say an ITT is a waste of time, but this comes very close.

At least here it makes sense to ride on the watts only. No tactics required.

Vandewalle FTW.

Great stage to decide who gets to wear the first red jersey. Too bad they put it at the end not the start.

Would be interesting to see the TTT as the last stage. Knakered doms with 3 weeks of riding in their legs. The gaps could be significant.

DFA123 said:

Or the great EU-financed roads of nothern Spain, where the population is supposedly poor...

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Richeypen said:
Great stage to decide who gets to wear the first red jersey. Too bad they put it at the end not the start.

Would be interesting to see the TTT as the last stage. Knakered doms with 3 weeks of riding in their legs. The gaps could be significant.

Yeah, but i don't think many of us would like to see a guy loose a GT because of a freaking TTT on the last day, people would hate it. I'm not a fan of TTTs, but they are ok if only done durning the first week of a GT.

LaFlorecita said:
Not to mention some teams might start with 9 riders, others with 4-5.

All part of the fun :p

It would make teams think more about their team selection and also stop riders withdrawing after 2 weeks and using the Vuelta as WC warm up.

Stick them on unicycles for all I care. Anything would be better than the travesty that is tomorows stage.