• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Arctic Race of Norway 2.HC 13/8 - 16/8

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Scenery is great as always but the only reason Norway has 3 stage races in the Europe Tour is to up Kristoff's wins by like 15. Pathetic really.

Re:

Der Effe said:
Scenery is great as always but the only reason Norway has 3 stage races in the Europe Tour is to up Kristoff's wins by like 15. Pathetic really.

What do you mean?

All three races (Norway also have to one day races, Ringerike GP and Hadeland GP) have some nice parcours and often interesting racing as well.

Re:

Der Effe said:

That´s a silly comment. It is like saying all the Belgian races are just there to up Boonen´s wins. All Norwegian races this year have had lot´s of strong WT Teams participating. 12 of the teams in ARoN also featured in the TdF. He has some good competition in these races. (E.g. Couqard did beat him on the Champs Elysees if I remember correctly). And it is not like Kristoff needs to go to back home to collect wins, he has picked up plenty everywhere for the past two years.

But I would prefer that the Norwegian races didn´t compete with each other for the attention. It might not benefit any of them. I think the best would be maybe to merge Tour de Fjords and Tour of Norway into one stage race or have one of them step down the ambitions.

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: Re:

Bushman said:
Der Effe said:

What do you mean?

All three races (Norway also have to one day races, Ringerike GP and Hadeland GP) have some nice parcours and often interesting racing as well.

Maybe I'm ignorant, but isn't Norway a country which can make races far more interesting than they are right now? Maybe Kristoff is just too good for these type of races.

Norbea said:
Der Effe said:

That´s a silly comment. It is like saying all the Belgian races are just there to up Boonen´s wins. All Norwegian races this year have had lot´s of strong WT Teams participating. 12 of the teams in ARoN also featured in the TdF. He has some good competition in these races. (E.g. Couqard did beat him on the Champs Elysees if I remember correctly). And it is not like Kristoff needs to go to back home to collect wins, he has picked up plenty everywhere for the past two years.

But I would prefer that the Norwegian races didn´t compete with each other for the attention. It might not benefit any of them. I think the best would be maybe to merge Tour de Fjords and Tour of Norway into one stage race or have one of them step down the ambitions.

All these Belgian races have a history that preceed Boonen's succes though. Those races are popular in Belgium - and to a lesser extent in the Netherlands - thus lots of riders specialize in these type of races. I don't blame Kristoff for racing as Norway is his home country, more the organizers as I am under the impression a stage race in Norway could be far more interesting than 70% Kristoff wins.

I agree. A (diverse) WorldTour stage race in Norway would be heaven.

Der Effe said:
Bushman said:
Der Effe said:

What do you mean?

Maybe I'm ignorant, but isn't Norway a country which can make races far more interesting than they are right now? Maybe Kristoff is just too good for these type of races.

Stage 3 ends with a 3,7 km 7,8% climb, not exactly Kristoff territory.

Last year Kruijswijk won in front of Kristoff and Nordhaug, I think that shows that the race gives different types of riders the chance to win it. If Katusha hadn't been so strong today Kristoff probably wouldn't have won since he was dropped on the hill ~5 k from the line.

What do you mean by Kristoff being "too good for these races?". He isn´t going to win the GC or I´d be very surprised if he does. Norway can make almost any kind of race, I guess, but I don´t think these races are especially designed for Kristoff. Some of the stages are to hard even for him.

Yes. Central European races have more tradition. Norway is a country that really appreciates endurance sports, but hasn´t had any cycling traditions until recent years, when the sport started to gain massive growth. Even traditions needs to have a beginning and the Arctic Race has the potential to build a great tradition. I think that is evident even in it´s third year. And there is a lot more to the North of Norway than what has been showed so far. They are even planning to expand it into Northern Russia, Northern Finland and Sweden and to Svalbard!!!! Prepare to be amazed.

Bushman said:
Der Effe said:
Bushman said:
Der Effe said:

What do you mean?

Last year Kruijswijk won in front of Kristoff and Nordhaug, I think that shows that the race gives different types of riders the chance to win it. If Katusha hadn't been so strong today Kristoff probably wouldn't have won since he was dropped on the hill ~5 k from the line.

Pretty sure he was just caught behind a split on that hill. He immediately closed that little gap himself right after the top.

Bystrøm and Haller definitely had a big stake in Kristoff´s win. They did great work. Also MTN went too early and was one man short compared to Katyusha in the last climb and it made EBH a bit hesitant. Anyhow Alexander was just the strongest today.

If we are to have a serious discussion about how the race is designed in the Arctic north. There are some practical issues that people need to consider. First of all the remoteness and distances up there. A county such as Finnmark, the northernmost county, where last years first two stages went - is about the size of Denmark - and has a total of less than 100.000 inhabitants. The towns and villages are remote and far between. If you are dreaming of Arctic MTF you also have to consider that no one lives on those mountains during the arctic wintertime. And main roads tend to go through the valleys and through tunnels rather than up in these mountains where you´ll have several meters of snow for most of the year. This year you could go skiing in July in those mountains.

ARoN is a big race with world wide coverage. Riders, teams, media, sponsors etc. need hotels, food, transport and more. The logistics alone is a huge challenge for this event. The organisers have actually done a good job in finding a good balance for this race. And having biked in these parts I know that what seems like flat parts are really just small ups and downs that slowly grinds you down. It is nothing like the flats of Netherlands or Denmark .

Bushman said:
Der Effe said:
Bushman said:
Der Effe said:

What do you mean?

He will lose at least 1 minute with Taaramae that day.

jaylew said:
lemon cheese cake said:
COFIDIS, SOLUTIONS CREDITS / FRA
Sporting Manager: DELOEUIL Alain /
AHLSTRAND Jonas
BOUHANNI Rayane
JOEAAR Gert
PETIT Adrien
TURGIS Anthony
VAN STAEYEN Michael
VANBILSEN KENNETH *
VERHELST LOUIS *

Nacer bro? Sprinter as well?

Yes it is the little brother of Nacer. He is quite fast but more og an allrounder than a pure sprinter. Last year in juniors he was on the podium in the Peace Race and GP Rüebliland. Both fairly mountaineous races.

But he will probably aim towards sprinting I would assume.

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Kristoff only good for winning races in Belgium and Norway
Kristoff has won in every country he has raced in this year except for Italy, where he only raced Milan-San Remo and came second.

Epic scenery for this race.Easy win for Kristoff yesterday,too strong for EBH who put a decent performance.I hope Zakarin will show some interest about the overall as the MTF looks too hard for Kristoff.

wJYzBjd.jpg

PdXO0BD.jpg

SOKBeY1.jpg

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Norbea said:
What do you mean by Kristoff being "too good for these races?". He isn´t going to win the GC or I´d be very surprised if he does. Norway can make almost any kind of race, I guess, but I don´t think these races are especially designed for Kristoff. Some of the stages are to hard even for him.

Yes. Central European races have more tradition. Norway is a country that really appreciates endurance sports, but hasn´t had any cycling traditions until recent years, when the sport started to gain massive growth. Even traditions needs to have a beginning and the Arctic Race has the potential to build a great tradition. I think that is evident even in it´s third year. And there is a lot more to the North of Norway than what has been showed so far. They are even planning to expand it into Northern Russia, Northern Finland and Sweden and to Svalbard!!!! Prepare to be amazed.

I mean that in sprints the only rival he has is Boasson Hagen, who - last time I saw him - looked like a McDonalds poster boy.

Der Effe said:
Norbea said:

I mean that in sprints the only rival he has is Boasson Hagen, who - last time I saw him - looked like a McDonalds poster boy.
Coquard, Bennett and Bonifazio are pretty decent sprinters too.

And EBH being fat doesn't affect his sprinting, it's been a long time since he's been sprinting this well. It's just that he can't climb anymore :p

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site

maltiv said:
Der Effe said:
Norbea said:

Coquard, Bennett and Bonifazio are pretty decent sprinters too.

And EBH being fat doesn't affect his sprinting, it's been a long time since he's been sprinting this well. It's just that he can't climb anymore :p

Great talents indeed (especially Bonifazio and Coquard) but no match for Kristoff (yet). Anyway, I just want some crazy ass two week stage race through Norway while instead I am watching 7 absolute borefests of stage races in Spain each year. World can be cruel.

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
I fancy Sam bennet today, looked pretty strong yesterday on the uphill sprint which doesn't really suit him anymore. Todays sprint is pure flat. I think he will just have a little too much for the rest.

Re:

grizzlee said:
I fancy Sam bennet today, looked pretty strong yesterday on the uphill sprint which doesn't really suit him anymore. Todays sprint is pure flat. I think he will just have a little too much for the rest.

According to CN, he's only just off a course of antibiotics for some urinary tract infection. I think his third yesterday was probably more about the relative thinness of the field and some good positioning rather than his own form.

Re:

Norbea said:
Can´t wait! I come from these parts. Starts in Harstad (The home ground of ARoN). Second stage goes over Gratangsfjellet - Historic area where epic battles took place during World War II in the winter of 1940 - only suiting then that the stage finale goes through a military camp at Setermoen.
Stage 3 is the one to watch - Fantastic scenery on the island of Senja with a finish up a ski-hill. I only wish the last stage in Narvik was a few km longer, but all in all ARoN should deliver again. At least as the heli-shots above the arctic sea and mountains rolls over the TV-screen with the odd reindeer or polar bear in the mix:)

I've wanted to go to Norway for a couple of years now and my goal for next summer is to tour Lofoten and Vesteralen (the archipelago to the west of Narvik). It will be a logistics nightmare to get there, but checking out photos on the internet and watching this, it just has to be done.

TRENDING THREADS