• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Larry H. Miller Tour of Utah, August 3 to 9

eVwkQNI.png

The Larry H. Miller Tour of Utah is back! Following a sort of disappointing Tour of Cali comes the race that always delivers. Utahn! This year it is one GC defining stage short of the last edition, but good things await nonetheless (while in 2014 there was the climb up Powder Mountain on the fourth day of racing – where Danielson got his lead-, this year’s first and only mountain finish comes on the penultimate day, Snowbird. And if this last one makes Cadel spring to your mind so will the third finish in a row in Park City, after the Empire Pass where last year Evans did a glorious comeback descent to take the stage win. There will be two criterium like stages for the ladies, too!

For the first time in its history the race will start and (stage) finish in Logan, home to the Utah State University, head south to Ogden, Bountiful, just outside of Salt Lake, travel to the other side of the Wasatch Range onto Soldier Hollow, head back to the state capital, up to Snowbird southeast of the city and end in Park City. Could understandably be called the Tour Of Northern Utah as this year you’ll not be seeing the riders go through the typical dry landscape of the Colorado plateau and Ridge regions.

US Continental teams are Jamis, UHC, Axeon, Airgas, the Hincapies, Jelly Belly, Optum and Smartstop. From abroad comes the usual suspect, Drapac straight from Down Under; MTN-Q, Bardiani, Budget Forklifts and Team Colombia. Garmin, Trek and BMC are the only World Tour teams this year – gutted there’s no Giant taking Lampre’s spot, whom besides having Horner with them last year have no business whatsoever in these parts. But when you look at it, we’re down from 6 to 3 WT teams. Hopefully, though, that will mean nothing.

You will be able to watch the race via the official Tour Tracker app and FOXSports 1 (Thanks Carols).
Startlist: http://www.procyclingstats.com/race.php?id=151273&c=3 (being updated)
Click on ''Map'' hyperlink to see KOM's and Sprints.

note: stages' 4 - 7 overview are copy-paste from the official website.

Stage 1, Logan - Logan: 213km Map
9pDrGeY.gif

Riders leave Logan and head east taking the scenic Hwy 89 up their first uphill effort leading to Bear Lake, a path they will use when returning. However, from this side it’s a much gentler climb - more of a false flat with a max. 4% slope, hence it’s a cat.3. Once on the plateau the lake is in, the flat high grounds on the profile, they take a long ride around it, going as far north as St. Charles already in Idaho, turning back on tight and exposed roads. Wind may be a factor. On the border between the two states is the first intermediate sprint, the second one’s already in Utah before the last climb, which was tackled on the opposite direction. This time quite a big deal: 9 km’s averaging 6% with gradients up to 11%. Only a cat.2, though. Fast downhill back to Logan, where a sprinter is expected to win in similar fashion to Hofland.

Stage 2, Tremonton - Ogden: 162km Map
ljKCbrX.gif

Not much to say, peloton finish most likely. That last climb could have been better used, but because of a 3 lap circuit in Ogden it stays too far from the line to have any real impact. The North Ogden divide, a 3rd category climb averaging 10%. Before that, riders go through the Pineview Reservoir which will do for some nice scenery.

Stage 3, Antelope Island - Bountiful: 177km Map
Yq1DZoZ.gif

Should be a great stage. Starts in the Antelope Island which should give a clear a broad view of the Great Salt Lake. Riders reach mainland through the Antelope Island Rd. -which makes it not look like an Island at all-, head north to Ogden and turn back south all the way to Bountiful with all it’s pleasing American suburban neighborhoods. In between, a rather hard parcours with 4 categorized climbs. The first one used the day before, only this time a second category, since it’s ridden from the most difficult side. Next comes the Trappers Loop, 6km’s averaging above 7% - a cat.3. Riders hit the last climb, which is ridden twice going around the town and finishing on the Main St, a 3rd cat as well.

Stage 4, Soldier Hollow - Soldier Hollow: 205km Map
idYAuAY.gif

Soldier Hollow is perhaps best known as a venue for several events in the 2002 Winter Olympic Games. It’s also a new venue for one of the most difficult stages in the 2015 Tour of Utah. The first obstacle after leaving Soldier Hollow is Daniels Canyon, with a KOM at Daniels Summit. The next section features heavy crosswinds as riders move past Strawberry Reservoir and into Duchesne County, home to a large stretch of the Uinta National Forest. There, riders will face a daunting 10-mile, Category 2 climb up to Wolf Creek Pass. Once they crest the 9300-foot summit, riders will then quickly descend through the town of Woodland and back toward Wasatch County and Soldier Hollow. The challenges will continue as riders endure a long, slightly uphill sprint before crossing the elevated finish line—one that lets fans get a full view of the finish.

Stage 5, Salt Lake City - Salt Lake City: 89km (13x7) Map
M0IPusU.gif

One of the staples of the Tour of Utah is the Salt Lake City Circuit, a loop familiar to fans and riders alike. This year, however, the Circuit will feature a bit of a twist. Initially, the riders will follow the traditional route—passing City Creek Canyon, through the Avenues and the University of Utah before descending South Temple toward Downtown and State Street. At this point, riders will depart from tradition and turn right on 600 North, sending them up Wall Street and Zane Avenue—steep streets featuring a 20% grade. The route continues upward through the Capitol Hill Neighborhood to the stage finish at the Utah State Capitol. If a single lap through this route seems challenging, consider the fact that Stage 5 consists of seven laps, making for 55 challenging miles.

Stage 6, Salt Lake City - Snowbird: 178km Map
I0QdvMX.gif

This is it—the most challenging, awe-inducing, jaw-dropping stage in the Tour of Utah. The Queen Stage, as it is known, mostly resembles the version from the 2014 Tour. This time, however, the start location has moved to the Rio Grande Depot in Downtown Salt Lake City. Riders will zoom past the Downtown Farmers Market and up 800 South to Emigration Canyon where they will encounter two KOMs on Little and Big Mountain. The climb doesn’t end there, as rider move upward through Morgan and Summit Counties and into Park City. This last section includes an astonishingly difficult Category 1 climb to Guardsman’s Pass before a fast descent down Big Cottonwood Canyon to Wasatch Boulevard. The day’s route will finish with the traditional HC climb to the Snowbird Ski and Summer Resort, a legendary finish that has been a staple of the Queen Stage for nearly a decade.

Stage 7, Park City - Park City, 126km Map
U76ZHA0.gif

If the Queen Stage didn’t do it, Stage 7 might just defeat those who dare to face the Tour of Utah. At the very least, it will be one of the toughest final stages the riders might face all year. Starting on Park City’s Historic Main Street, Stage 7 moves through the rich farmlands of Summit and Wasatch Counties to a KOM at Wolf Creek Ranches. This is a short but steep climb that offers just a tiny taste of what is to come. Empire Pass is a legend, a name spoken in hushed whispers throughout the cycling world. This 10-kilometer climb averages a 10% grade, with several pitches over 20%. Once conquered, riders will blast downhill at speeds of over 60 mph while maneuvering to cross the finish line on Main Street.

Feel free to post additional info, you will be credited in the OP.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Great OP BigMac!

I really love this race. I love this time of the year really. With Utah, Portugal (best race period), Poland, Burgos and CSB. Real racing!

Really expecting a lot from Cano, and of course Pappy Horner. He will smash the field.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Great OP!
Tommy D vs Cano vs Horner and I still have a little bit off hope when it comes to Dombrowski, him getting beack on track would be great.

Actually a slightly disappointing parcours for this, but it's almost invariably the best US stage race (by quite some distance) so no fear just yet. The Soldier Hollow finish looks possibly too punchy to be a true sprint (maybe more for the likes of Felline out of the teams going, no idea which riders they're taking though). Remains to be seen re the SLC stage, would perhaps have preferred it as a short TT.

I need to get down there roadside again one of these years! RE: Horner, he isn't looking fantastic at Cascade, but he knows how to plan his form. I think that Hincapie and Jelly Belly will be the most aggressive domestic teams. I wonder how Gaimon is going for Optum? I'd like to see Joe Dom climbing at the front. We'll see who the three Pro Tour teams bring (Frank S. for Trek?).

Re:

irondan said:
I love this race and can't wait for it to start. I'm still considering going with a buddy that's definitely going. Hopefully I can report from one of the climbs, we'll see. :D

Team up with mr. tibbs and maybe Moose McKnuckles whom I trust will set up the CNF Go Papi Horner banners and road tags atop the Empire Pass. :p

Have fun if you do go.

Re:

Arredondo said:
Great OP BigMac!

I really love this race. I love this time of the year really. With Utah, Portugal (best race period), Poland, Burgos and CSB. Real racing!

Really expecting a lot from Cano, and of course Pappy Horner. He will smash the field.

Thanks! I too am so excited. Got dem chills. Really nice that you like the Volta. :)

Mayomaniac said:
Great OP!
Tommy D vs Cano vs Horner and I still have a little bit off hope when it comes to Dombrowski, him getting beack on track would be great.

Thanks.

jmdirt said:
I need to get down there roadside again one of these years! RE: Horner, he isn't looking fantastic at Cascade, but he knows how to plan his form. I think that Hincapie and Jelly Belly will be the most aggressive domestic teams. I wonder how Gaimon is going for Optum? I'd like to see Joe Dom climbing at the front. We'll see who the three Pro Tour teams bring (Frank S. for Trek?).

He's actually showing some form. Cascade is all about attacks and more attacks so sometimes there are surprise winners. He was pulling the most in yesterday's break he was in.

Re: Re:

BigMac said:
irondan said:
I love this race and can't wait for it to start. I'm still considering going with a buddy that's definitely going. Hopefully I can report from one of the climbs, we'll see. :D

Team up with mr. tibbs and maybe Moose McKnuckles whom I trust will set up the CNF Go Papi Horner banners and road tags atop the Empire Pass. :p

Have fun if you do go.
If I can make it I'll contact them so we can get together and properly represent CNF! :D

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

BigMac said:
Arredondo said:
Great OP BigMac!

Thanks! I too am so excited. Got dem chills. Really nice that you like the Volta. :)

I'm in love of that race for some years now. I really like the mixture of old Portugese champions, young talents, some old well known Spaniards, explosive Colombians (only Parra this year) and some boss sprinters (Cardoso, Zanotti)!

Are you planning to make an OP?

Re:

@Escarabajo cheers, I think too.

Jspear said:
Is Horner still struggling with his health?

Finished the Cascade 12th overall. He was in one of the winning breaks and was the one who pulled to most. Also started another move two days later and again drilled it mostly alone for km's. I think he's good. Spent the last 5 weeks training over there in Bend near home, Utah is his big goal.

Carols said:
Wow Phinney and Stetina are riding! It will be good to see how they have come out of rehabs. Especially Phinney, he's been out for over a year.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/phinney-stetina-to-return-to-racing-in-tour-of-utah

BTW live coverage daily on FOXSports 1. Hopefully better coverage than the drivel from ROOT in the last few years.

Thanks for the streaming info Carols, updated the OP.

And it will be imense to see Phinney back on the bike, and Stetina too. They'll have lots of support there, best race for them to come back.

TRENDING THREADS