• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Larry H. Miller Tour of Utah, August 3 to 9

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
BigMac said:
No_Balls said:
Still better then Tour de France.

Aye.

Now the next be thing is Québec and Montréal.

Already on count down. :p

Arctic Race of Norway, anyone?

Dont hope you are serious tho, this Vuelta will be a definite blast.

Arctic Race will be cool. I'm not sure about the Vuelta. I always go with high expectations but they never seem to be fullfilled. Anyway, Colorado in a week too, hopefully it delivers. And also Alberta where Bobby G will start his Canadian domination. Was curious to check the GP of Portland but it has been postponed due to lack of funding. :( Avenir on the way too (is that ever broadcasted?). That said, the Vuelta will only get my attention if we see a crazy match up between Valverde and Rodriguez destroying everyone but one another on the muritos and alejandritos and climbs and what not only to arrive in Madrid with nearly the same time.

I think there are some positive signs which could make up for an intriguing Vuelta. It is sort of balanced and leaves room for racing. It is the best route for years with one or two stages that is having potential to become legendary if raced right (which is higher probability then in France). A very strong lineup which could very well end up in internal turmoil depending on strategies and teamorders. And we are still waiting for confirmation from Froome, i doubt it but still.

No_Balls said:
I think there are some positive signs which could make up for an intriguing Vuelta. It is sort of balanced and leaves room for racing. It is the best route for years with one or two stages that is having potential to become legendary if raced right (which is higher probability then in France). A very strong lineup which could very well end up in internal turmoil depending on strategies and teamorders. And we are still waiting for confirmation from Froome, i doubt it but still.

Good points. For the race's sake though, I hope for no Froome.

Re:

greenedge said:
Martinez will have to ride for Seb Henao though. I find that new rule that WT riders (under 23) can compete in it to be bogus as it distorts from the competition and gives the WT riders a huge advantage.
Not a criticism of you, but I feel the need to make clear that WT U23 riders have been allowed to compete in Nations Cup races since at least 2008 (that's the earliest rulebook I could find).
It's just that until now, no WT pro has bothered to do it - but they've always been allowed to.

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site

Jagartrott said:
Moose McKnuckles said:
Another view of the crash yesterday.
That car may have actually saved Brammeier's life. He was headed toward rocks and trees.

Two more crashes right after that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=21&v=hRM3bFXlyNk
The two crashes after that again caused by a motorbike. Seriously, what are they all doing there?

Can't imagine how he thought it was a good idea to park himself there. Afterwards he just drives away so unfazed, insane!

Did Brammeiers brakes fail or something?

Honestly, it just pisses me off. After a race like Utah where we see the GC on 1 stage out of 7 in a state thats basically just mountains, its still better than Tour de France and the Vuelta sucks anyways. Had this been the Tour, there would have been a public outcry about the disastrous route and the pussy contenders. I mean, are you guys just writing that *** due to it being cool to thrashtalk the GT's and consensus amoung cycling hipsters (apart from the Giro, which apparently is the GT sent down by god, while the other 2 sucks regardless..)? There is simply just no way you would feel that. Through July, you guys who are stating that are as much glued to the tele as every other cycling fan, while pretty much all the best riders in the world minus Contador on some interesting and well designed mountainous parcours in Spain somehow is overshadowed by some shitty races in Canada that got sweeped by frickin Simon Gerrans last year.

Sorry for my rant, but that's just how I feel about that.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Honestly, it just pisses me off. After a race like Utah where we see the GC on 1 stage out of 7 in a state thats basically just mountains, its still better than Tour de France and the Vuelta sucks anyways. Had this been the Tour, there would have been a public outcry about the disastrous route and the pussy contenders. I mean, are you guys just writing that *** due to it being cool to thrashtalk the GT's and consensus amoung cycling hipsters (apart from the Giro, which apparently is the GT sent down by god, while the other 2 sucks regardless..)? There is simply just no way you would feel that. Through July, you guys who are stating that are as much glued to the tele as every other cycling fan, while pretty much all the best riders in the world minus Contador on some interesting and well designed mountainous parcours in Spain somehow is overshadowed by some shitty races in Canada that got sweeped by frickin Simon Gerrans last year.

Sorry for my rant, but that's just how I feel about that.

I certainly don't think the Giro is the GT sent by God, I stopped watching it before the third week started. The Tour, I think, after stage 10 or 11. The Vuelta I most likely won't, too, because of holidays and because I find it extremely unpleasant to see riders crawl their way trough arid landscape under scorching heat whilst I, myself, melt in the couch (with due respect for them!). Races like the Tour of Utah, I think, can be excused. They're shorter and it doesn't feel that obnoxious as one doesn't get tired so fast. Moreover, I think the number of attacks we've seen here is incomparable with the trend of any GT's, there were plenty here. Hectic finales full of attacking and countering. Another thing that made it more enjoyable is the fact that there were no robotic trains leading the peloton over climbs and chasing breaks like mad - often breaks got caught not because of an organized team effort but because of countering and individuals from the main group trying to bridge. No proper sprint trains, either, Jure Kocjan's win staged by his mate Travis McCabe was the perfect example.

Plus no Paulo Martins and Luís Piçarra for me, Carlton Kirby, Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen for others - that's got to be a nice thing, right? I love Tim Johnson's and Frankie Andreu's commentary and insight.

Opinions, though.
Cheers. :)

PS: I totally understand where you're coming from.

Re:

greenedge said:
Martinez will have to ride for Seb Henao though. I find that new rule that WT riders (under 23) can compete in it to be bogus as it distorts from the competition and gives the WT riders a huge advantage.

Henao should have no problem winning the overall and the other Colombians will probably be able to ride a bit for themselves also.

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Joe Dombrowski

Just won the Tour of Utah. I have been following him for a few years. I believe he is clean, even though he rode for Sky for a couple of years. I base this on him being really young, always having been really lean and a good climber. He has posted many rides and many of his stats on Strava. From what I can tell, his winning climb to Snowbird was unremarkable compared to TDF climbers. That being said, I am well aware that my reasoning is weak and could quite easily be based on me just hoping that he is clean. I am a big fan of the young man and hope he does well in the upcoming Vuelta, his first GT. Discuss.

Re: Joe Dombrowski

Energy Starr said:
Just won the Tour of Utah. I have been following him for a few years. I believe he is clean, even though he rode for Sky for a couple of years. I base this on him being really young, always having been really lean and a good climber. He has posted many rides and many of his stats on Strava. From what I can tell, his winning climb to Snowbird was unremarkable compared to TDF climbers. That being said, I am well aware that my reasoning is weak and could quite easily be based on me just hoping that he is clean. I am a big fan of the young man and hope he does well in the upcoming Vuelta, his first GT. Discuss.
ooh, you mentioned Sky... you'll go straight to hell for that one

As you say, unremarkable climb - he beat Frank Schleck ;)

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site

Archibald said:
Energy Starr said:

Lol. Yeah. I know. I was basing that on Strava numbers. I can't remember exactly but according to Strava he did the climb at 279 watts (or something). I'll have to look it up again to get the exact number.

Energy Starr said:
Archibald said:
Energy Starr said:

Lol. Yeah. I know. I was basing that on Strava numbers. I can't remember exactly but according to Strava he did the climb at 279 watts (or something). I'll have to look it up again to get the exact number.

He already said that his power meter was fucced that day
He did around 5,8-5,9 w/kg at very high altitude. He's not already at the level of his rival from childhood, fabio aru but he might get there next year maybe...

TRENDING THREADS