• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Tour de France: Stage 1, Utrecht-Utrecht

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Most overrated race in the world: Stage 1, Utrecht-Utrec

Beech Mtn said:
Zam_Olyas said:
Will we have FiFi sighting on Tv. Who wants an avatar bet?

Yes, she will be at the 3m Pythagorean Theorem timecheck running alongside Froome waving a giant eggbeater in his face. (Or possibly only standing at the side of the road holding a large "I Love You Alberto" banner.)
with a wet t- shirt

There's a lot of guys who can win this based on current form.

My tips to do well in loose order are:

Dumoulin
Cance
Martin
Kelderman
Dowsett
Sagan
Boom
Dennis
Malori
Matthews
Brandle
Froome
Durbridge
Castroviejo
Valverde

Contador, Nibali and Quintana should all finish in the top 20-25 as well but this is short enough and technical enough that there could be a surprise winner.

it's not all that technical fwiw.

big engines like tony martin and tom dumoulin will battle for the win. sprinters who might do well on a more technical, explosive course will not do as good.

i also expect a decent time by Lars Boom here though. for the dutch crowd i think he will also want to do a good time trial.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Boom wont even top 10. Hasnt done a podium for a few years. Maybe he has prepared specifically for this. If he has then he might be fine but lately no way will he challenge.

This suits Cancellara.

Re: Re:

Velolover2 said:
Jagartrott said:
Velolover2 said:
But, my guess would be something like this:
Tony Martin, 9th, for real?
I don't think he will win it. It's too short and technical enough to slow him down.
It's definitely not too short. Martin is more than fine on a ITT with this distance. It would have to be sub 7'ish km's for Tony to be at a disadvantage.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Dazed and Confused said:
Pretty technical:
thumb_uc_207801_506_Streckenverlauf_Tour_de_France_2015_-_Etappe_1.jpg

Boom, Jungels or perhaps EBH.

Nah, going with Cancellara or Sagan here.
it's not technical at all

Re: Re:

Djamolidine said:
He won a time trial at the Tour de Romandie over a similar distance against a reasonable field fwiw. :cool:

1. Mark Cavendish (GB), High Road, 1.9km in 2:07:60
2. Daniele Bennati (I), Liquigas, at 0:00
3. Michael Albasini (Swi), Liquigas, at 0:01
4. Björn Schröder (G), Team Milram, at 0:01
5. Bradley Wiggins (GB), High Road, at 0:01
6. Roman Kreuziger (Cze), Liquigas, at 0:01
7. Nick Nuyens (B), Cofidis, at 0:02
8. Martin Elmiger (Swi), Ag2r-La Mondiale, at 0:02
9. Thomas Dekker (Ned), Rabobank, at 0:02
10. Martin Kohler (Swi), BMC Racing Team, at 0:02

It was 7 times shorter than Saturday's stage, so not that similar...

Anyway, Dumoulin won't win this; don't really understand how he's now considered in the top class, other than Canc being crap and Wiggins retiring leaving a vacancy. Most of his impressive results (last year's Tour, worlds) involved finishing less than 10 seconds in front of riders that no one things are amazing (Barta & Kyrienka respectively) and nowhere near Tony.