• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Tour de France: Stage 1, Utrecht-Utrecht

Page 47 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

Gigs_98 said:
classicomano said:
Miburo said:
Kelderman? stop it LMAO
Ryo Hazuki said:
I will bet my ballsack kelderman won't top ten here. still hilarious though how you overrate the dutch :tranen:
jB0QYM5.gif
I wouldn't blame Miburo, at least he didnt do a houdini.
btw, where is ryo :D

Doing something with his ballsack I guess... Who knows? :confused:

Re:

rhubroma said:
Even though this hasn't come up, or at least I haven't seen it: the guy who put in the most astonishing performance of the GT candidates was T. Pinot! Faster than Froome, faster than Contador, faster than Nibili! I mean its freekin T. Pinot, they guy who got crushed in the Tour de Swiss's last TT. What a a ride, no?

Then TJ also rode superbly. What this seems to indicate is that Contador certainly is not at the level one would have expected for one who is trying to win the race, but even Froome underperformed today.
What about Mollema..nr 143747347 in lasts year final TT...

FCKAC said:
rhubroma said:
Even though this hasn't come up, or at least I haven't seen it: the guy who put in the most astonishing performance of the GT candidates was T. Pinot! Faster than Froome, faster than Contador, faster than Nibili! I mean its freekin T. Pinot, they guy who got crushed in the Tour de Swiss's last TT. What a a ride, no?

Then TJ also rode superbly. What this seems to indicate is that Contador certainly is not at the level one would have expected for one who is trying to win the race, but even Froome underperformed today.

Froom is not the same Froom we saw a couple of years ago. As to AC, we all know age is catching up with him very quickly.

It is? Maybe you believe this but I haven't seen a whole heap of evidence. Indeed, he's won two GTs in less than, what nine months?, including one against his biggest rival, and another largely alone against a hugely dominant team raced very fast. Alberto really is held to some absurd standards compared to his rivals.

SeriousSam said:
rhubroma said:

Isn't Pinot's and Quintana's ride a product of the conditions?

I don't think so, since I'd have expected Pinot to have been slower than Quintana.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
rhubroma said:

What about Mollema..nr 143747347 in lasts year final TT...

So much hassle about Mollema's crappy TT last year.
He was completely empty by the time that TT came and it was the first time he rode on that TT bike. Everything just went wrong, that's all. He has done plenty good TT's in the past. The Tour he finished 7th he rode a long flat TT in the top 10-15 or something.

Re:

rhubroma said:

I suppose Uran is not considered a GC candidate for this TdF - finished ahead of Pinot? Agree with the rest and I too was surprised by Contador although it is probably premature to write him off.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
phanatic said:
auscyclefan94 said:
I think Dennis is a real dark horse for this course today. Although the early start will influence the way he looks at the race, his time trialling and hour record training should hold him in good stead.

Nice to see you come out of retirement and pick the winner. :cool:

Like a boss!

Well certainly an odd result. I put this to changing wind direction/speed, temperature/humidity, acclimatisation, route familiarization and finally form.
The big 3 of TTs Martin, Cance, Domoulin certainly finished close to each other as they started close to each other. Denis probably benefited from some wind as well as familiarization otherwise he would not have beaten the above purely based on power as seen from the hour record and also not clocked 55.4 kph.
Nibali benefited more from the training with a ice cooled vest. Contador was already sweating considerably during warmup which couldnot have been good. The performance of the dutch guys can be down to familiarization with the route.
All in all it is not possible to put too much faith into this performance. I believe that the natural order of things would be interested in the mountains.

Re:

IndianCyclist said:
Well certainly an odd result. I put this to changing wind direction/speed, temperature/humidity, acclimatisation, route familiarization and finally form.
The big 3 of TTs Martin, Cance, Domoulin certainly finished close to each other as they started close to each other. Denis probably benefited from some wind as well as familiarization otherwise he would not have beaten the above purely based on power as seen from the hour record and also not clocked 55.4 kph.
Nibali benefited more from the training with a ice cooled vest. Contador was already sweating considerably during warmup which couldnot have been good. The performance of the dutch guys can be down to familiarization with the route.
All in all it is not possible to put too much faith into this performance. I believe that the natural order of things would be interested in the mountains.

The previous hour record holder was not considered one of the favourites ? The wind may have shifted a little but I saw nothing too surprising. Martin and Cancellara also said they were effected by the heat. Dennis is a quality ITT rider and is probably the heir to the other two. He trained specifically for this one stage. The rest of the race he will be supporting TJVG.

movingtarget said:
IndianCyclist said:

The previous hour record holder was not considered one of the favourites ? The wind may have shifted a little but I saw nothing too surprising. Martin and Cancellara also said they were effected by the heat. Dennis is a quality ITT rider and is probably the heir to the other two. He trained specifically for this one stage. The rest of the race he will be supporting TJVG.

Agree, it was a strong and prepared performance by Dennis. Probably a near perfect route for him as well.

015-PIC544667707.jpg

Pleasure to watch the guy on the bike.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Congrats to Dennis, he was incredible!Great ride by Pinot too, Alberto did pretty meh, but today it could be even more important stage.

tbh I almost *** my pants when I saw Nibali's time :eek:

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site

movingtarget said:
IndianCyclist said:

I was standing at the parcours yesterday. When Dennis was riding there was basically no wind at all. When Martin and Cancellara were riding, the wind had picked up a lot. At least on the street where I was standing. Which made it quite pleasant for me, but I can imagine it causing a couple seconds difference.

I was really surprised Cancellara didn't win btw, based on how he came flying by. He sure seemed to be going the fastest of everyone at that point.

TRENDING THREADS