• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Tour de France: Stage 2: Utrecht › Neeltje Jans (166k)

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re:

JRanton said:
It was clearly Renshaw's mistake that they went too early but the Cav hate blinds people.

Renshaw made mistake? Impossible, isn't he THE best leadout man in pro peloton? :cool:

Bottom line, Cav lost the sprint fair and square and when he realized that he was beaten, he sat up ... because after all his win is all that counts and some stupid yellow jersey for his teammate does not mean anything to him.

I think it is clear that Cav needs to leave this team. I cant even imagine that anyone would continue doing any more work for this selfish ***.

Re: Re:

Kwibus said:
Pricey_sky said:
ChewbaccaDefense said:
The thing I'll give Cav is this, in that situation (and lets face it, if you've watched cycling for more than a day, you've see that situation hundreds of times), when the guy in front knows he's beaten, he almost always does exactly what Cav did. True that in this instance, he should have been thinking that he needed to place top 3 for his team, but his reaction is the most common reaction for anyone in that situation.

This is true and a good post. Looking at the final again Cav looks and spots Greipel and Sagan go past him then sits up, he doesn't see Fabian until the finish line. He doesn't do himself any favours with his Twitter rants but that's just him.

Don't be rational guys. We don't want that here on the CN forum!

Obviously you are right, but foxxxy prefers to makes things alot worse then they are like plenty here.
Cav is selfish and can be a huge a**hole, but if he knew he was throwing away Martin yellow jersey at that time Im sure he wouldnt let it go. I have no doubt in my mind that Cav truly respects and likes Martin for all he did for him and as his teammate.
He is an emotional guy though, bit of a loony at times.
But at least be humble about it, because a mistake is a mistake. And that was a mistake for not being focused enough.

Re:

ChewbaccaDefense said:
The thing I'll give Cav is this, in that situation (and lets face it, if you've watched cycling for more than a day, you've see that situation hundreds of times), when the guy in front knows he's beaten, he almost always does exactly what Cav did. True that in this instance, he should have been thinking that he needed to place top 3 for his team, but his reaction is the most common reaction for anyone in that situation.

The essence of professionalism is to prioritise what is necessary above what would otherwise be ordinary practice or normal reaction.

Cavendish was incredibly unprofessional.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site

Jancouver said:
JRanton said:
It was clearly Renshaw's mistake that they went too early but the Cav hate blinds people.

Renshaw made mistake? Impossible, isn't he THE best leadout man in pro peloton? :cool:

Bottom line, Cav lost the sprint fair and square and when he realized that he was beaten, he sat up ... because after all his win is all that counts and some stupid yellow jersey for his teammate does not mean anything to him.

I think it is clear that Cav needs to leave this team. I cant even imagine that anyone would continue doing any more work for this selfish ***.

Word for word... perfect summary.

I guess he will ask for a I-am-No-1-of-the-universe-sprinter-contract... Well, nobody is able or willing to throw that amount after him... but Sky. The perfect fit for him. Let him go there again.

Walkman said:
DJ Sprtsch said:
With all these posts blaming Cavendish, why on earth wasn't Martin on Cancellara's wheel? Would probably not have been able to pass him, but still.

Maybe because he was driving the pack, maybe. Did you even watch the stage?

Yes, of course I did. I still think he could have at least held on the the sprinter that is Cancellara's wheel.
Since everybody's blaming Cavendish for not charging to the finish line. See?

Re:

Kwibus said:
Replay shows Cav stops giving all with maybe 5 mtrs to go. Canc was allready passing him.
Still he went too early obviously and shouldnt blame his mates who were just freaking awesome.

Yea, after reading his quote referencing Renshaw, I think it's easy to see why a lot of people will not give him any quarter this time. I still think what he did was just a natural reaction, but I also think that if his mindset would have been "I want to win, but I definitely want to make sure we also get Tony the lead, so I need to push to the line," then not only would the criticism be void, but he wouldn't seem like such an incredible douche...but I think whoever wrote that Canc was closing anyway is probably right. It would just have been nice to see the effort to do something more than just win for himself. But I can't say for certain that I'd have done anything differently if I knew I'd already lost 10 meters from the line either.

Re:

DJ Sprtsch said:
With all these posts blaming Cavendish, why on earth wasn't Martin on Cancellara's wheel? Would probably not have been able to pass him, but still.

Because Martin was the one person there who had a chance for something, and who also did an admirable amount of work for his team. That's what makes his situation so hard to swallow. He did his job, where Canc didn't sniff the wind at any point. That was Canc's job, but your question has an obvious answer.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: 2015 Tour de France: Stage 2: Utrecht › Neeltje Jans (16

Bavarianrider said:
If i were Martin Cavendish would Need a very good Dentist.

If Lefevere had honor he would kick Cavendish out of the Team.

What do you think about cav deflecting the blame? That's the worst part imo.

Brutal stage by ETIXX - QUICK STEP. Miss out on the jersey. Miss out on the stage. Tony Martin sacrificed his chances for the team. Too bad Cav didn't do the same. Looking at the photo posted on Cav's twitter page, The Gorrilla, Sagan and Cancellara are throwing their bikes while Cav not so much. I wonder if Cav knew that he had to keep Cancellara from getting the time bonus. Or was he only concerned with his own results.

Miburo said:
Bavarianrider said:

What do you think about cav deflecting the blame? That's the worst part imo.

Not suprised at all

Once an *** always an ***. The dude is simply the biggest jerk in the peleton. I hope Tony at least refuses to ever work for him again

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site

Bavarianrider said:

1+ ... And I am pretty sure Lefevere went havoc...
Cavendish pruned to what he is; a selfish blame-shifting little basterd. No way Lefevere keeps him once the contract ends.

jaylew said:
Eagle said:
Vaughters says Nibali and Talansky were caught in a crrach

https://twitter.com/Vaughters/status/617722165421457408

Nibali said he himself didn't crash.

“It was a miracle that I didn’t fall myself, but the group broke up after that crash and we were caught behind, niente,” Nibali said afterwards. “We were chasing all day, that’s it.”
I've just re-watched the critical moments for several times, and it wasn't a crash that caught Nibali. At least nothing has been shown.
It was a bad line in a roundabout 48,3 k's from the finish, after which they couldn't accelerate properly. Hansen's crash, that I think Nibali is referring to, held Movistar.
At the 48,1 k's moment camera shifts at the front and behind you can see Tinkoff catching Lotto group, but Astana failing to do so.
Nibali is looking for excuse, it sounds to me.

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
The problem Cavendish faces is that he has never developed the roadcraft that most sprinters learn through their career. He never needed it. He was both the fastest man in the peleton by a considerable distance and had a drilled team deliver him perfectly to the release point when he was with HTC. Most sprinters keep winning into their thirties because the roadcraft they develop makes up for a loss of raw speed. Without that skill - and it's been obvious since 2013, the chance of Cav winning without a perfect delivery is very low. He's just not as fast as Kittel or Kristoff and while he's probably even on pace with Greipel (and maybe Sagan is up there now) he will lose out to their superior race brains,

His attitude really doesn;t help him now. He could, perhaps learn to race better and work his own positions in finishes but I don't see his mind letting him do that. He is the best and has nothing to prove and if he doesn't win it's his teams fault. This is doubly ironic as even with a perfect 150m to go delivery, he isn't actually guaranteed to win these days.

His interview after the British Nationals was telling. The interviewer asked him if he felt he had proved himself capable of a different kind of racing and immediately took it as a personal insult, saying he had "nothing to prove". Well he does. He needs to prove he can win when the delivery isn't perfect, he needs to prove he can win alone in broken up races (more than the couple of times he's done this) and needs to prove he can win sprints without a team. He;s never really proven capable of any of those and that leaves pretty huge questions over his legacy.

Etixx tactics were laughable - they deserved to end up with nothing. They had 6 riders in the group and once the gap was established there was no need for them to commit any more than one rider on the front. Let Sky, Tinkoff and BMC do the work - they've got most to gain - it doesn't matter for anyone else whether it's a 0:30 gap or a 1:30 gap. Instead Lotto actually outnumbered Etixx in the sprint which was ridiculous considering they had half as many riders in that group

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site

So what happened to TJVG? By the lack of mention of his name on this thread or in the story I'm assuming he was well back in the order and out of contention

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
It's going to be interesting to see if the team will work 100% for Cavendish now. Uran in a promising position, support him 100% and tell Cavendish to take a hike.

TRENDING THREADS