• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Tour de France Stage 5: Arras-Amiens 189.5km

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2015
Visit site
On a stage like this Etix and Lotto will work for a mass sprint. If both teams have someone on the break, then the break wins it, because during the last few years Shimano proved (yesterday again) how a bunch of cowards they are, and only come to the front on the last few meters.

If there's a mass sprint and Sagan doesn't have to babysit Alberto, he will smoke them all, regardless of how the finish is.

If there's echelons, Sagan will work a lot for Alberto, and Greipel takes it again.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

SafeBet said:
Pantani Attacks said:
LaFlorecita said:
I have a feeling Alberto will be 1st of the Big 4 on GC after today.

How?
He's already second. He just needs to gain 40 seconds on Froome. Echelons could do the trick, although Sky has looked good so far.

Remember the stage on the mur, astana took sky by surprise with an echelon :D

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
yeah, could see a Tinkoff-Saxo break using the crosswinds to make it happen, and Movistar/Quintana have certainly looked everything but comfortable in crosswinds (see Stage 2), and if they catches Froome on the wrong spot they should be able to pull it off doing an extra TTT stage pulling Contador as far ahead as possible and letting Sagan grab the win

Then again, given that its somewhat expected they might just as well play the scene forcing Sky/Froome to use a lot of juice to keep them leashed

Looks interesting to me. Crosswinds most of the day. Headwind finish though.

Question is if Astana/Saxo are gonna come out to play. After all it is kinda risky, as you could puncture yourself. Wouldn't be the first time I saw a team light it up, only to have their captain have a mech shortly after. Also Etixx not as likely to assist now with the MJ on Tony.

So, I decided to expect a somewhat normal sprint stage.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Carstenbf said:

Question is if Astana/Saxo are gonna come out to play. After all it is kinda risky, as you could puncture yourself. Wouldn't be the first time I saw a team light it up, only to have their captain have a mech shortly after. Also Etixx not as likely to assist now with the MJ on Tony.

Etixx will definitely go for crosswinds, it's their nature.

Today we will definitely see some gaps - be it for the wind or the crashes in the rain. The problem is that the teams will be much more relaxed, because they have successfully managed the "three tough stages". I just saw interview with Portal (Sky DS) who basically said that the hard days are behind them and all is fine. But ussually s**t happens where you are least expecting it to happen. Yesterday everyone knew it was dangerous and they were all at the front and attentive. That might not be the case today...

Re:

Carstenbf said:

With crosswinds the best defense of offense.
Echelons is most of all about positioning. So pulling at the front is pretty much the safest option.

Re:

bajbar said:
Today we will definitely see some gaps - be it for the wind or the crashes in the rain. The problem is that the teams will be much more relaxed, because they have successfully managed the "three tough stages". I just saw interview with Portal (Sky DS) who basically said that the hard days are behind them and all is fine. But ussually s**t happens where you are least expecting it to happen. Yesterday everyone knew it was dangerous and they were all at the front and attentive. That might not be the case today...

I hope Sky think the hard days are over :)
Nothing against Froome, but he looks like the strongest so far and he is allready leading so I'd rather have him lose some time to keep things interesting.

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Miburo said:
Carstenbf said:

Etixx will definitely go for crosswinds, it's their nature.

If they have a gap to one or more of Greipel, Kristoff or Degenkolb with Cav they should and will go for it. BMC was a bit reluctant to pull on stage 2 because of Dennis. That should not be an issue today. Good chance of fireworks again today.