• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Tour de France Stage 7: Livarot - Fougeres, 190.5 km

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

goggalor said:
Hugo Koblet said:
franic said:
Hugo Koblet said:
Great sprint today. Cavendish by far the fastest. Epic fail sprint by Kristoff.
Haller waited too long and Guarnieri wasn’t able to launch Kristoff properly
I don't know, it looked to me as if Katusha did a pretty good job today. It was Kristoff who was going backwards when Cavendish, Greipel, Degenkolb and Sagan opened up.
Yeah, they were fine. Kristoff just went a bit late (or Greipel went early) and had to wait to pass Guarnieri to the right, while Cav and the rest were flying by on the left.
No, they weren’t fine. Look at the sprint here.
At 250m to go Haller was still in front of Guarnieri. When Greipel started the sprint, Guarnieri was starting to launch Kristoff who had to pass him on the left of the screen but was passed at double speed by Cav.

I don’t think Kristoff was able to win the stage, but saying Katusha was fine doesn’t make any sense at all.

1436544867-top-20.png

And we haven't reach the Pyrenees yet.

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I think Kristofferson is fast but he takes a long time to wind up and there is no explosion. Therefore it isn't up to him whether he wins sprints, its how knackered everybody else is. If they're knackered and can't accelerate they won't pass him. If not they'll just burn him

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Happy dude said:
I think Kristofferson is fast but he takes a long time to wind up and there is no explosion. Therefore it isn't up to him whether he wins sprints, its how knackered everybody else is. If they're knackered and can't accelerate they won't pass him. If not they'll just burn him

Looks about right.
Leadouts like the one today still aren't doing him any favors though.

Re:

jmdirt said:
AK is a classics sprinter (sorta like TB), not a platoon sprinter (like AG). But, by all means, carry on about how much he sucks.

Yes they overlap, but they are different 'styles' of sprinters.

Nice sprint Cav!

Well he was consistently ahead of people he's now behind, earlier in the year.

In Qatar he beat Sagan several times. In De Panne he beat Greipel. Now he's obviously in much worse shape than either of them, and Cavendish and Degenkolb. I don't think you can only say he's a different type of rider, he clearly put more into his spring than his rivals did.

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site

King Boonen said:
jmdirt said:
AK is a classics sprinter (sorta like TB), not a platoon sprinter (like AG). But, by all means, carry on about how much he sucks.

Nice sprint Cav!

Who said Kristoff sucks?
He doesn't suck, he's won the most races this season, he just isn't as explosive as the others. He may well actually be the fastest, and he can sprint for a long time, but his acceleration is woeful.

Happy dude said:
King Boonen said:
jmdirt said:

Nice sprint Cav!

Who said Kristoff sucks?
He doesn't suck, he's won the most races this season, he just isn't as explosive as the others. He may well actually be the fastest, and he can sprint for a long time, but his acceleration is woeful.

jmdirt has said someone said he sucks, I just asked who.

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
If you want to see how sprints should be done, just watch Mario Cipollini at 2002 UCI World Champs.
Petacchi played the role of Haller today: he took the lead at about 1km to go at high speed to avoid being passed by other teams. At about 350-400m to go left the stage to Lombardi who piloted to the 200m mark.
Katusha is the only team with a train for his sprinter, but they should learn how to use it.

TMP402 said:
jmdirt said:

Nice sprint Cav!

In Qatar he beat Sagan several times. In De Panne he beat Greipel. Now he's obviously in much worse shape than either of them, and Cavendish and Degenkolb. I don't think you can only say he's a different type of rider, he clearly put more into his spring than his rivals did.

This. AK in good form has no problems in traditional sprints against the top guys. After all, we're talking about a guy with 18 wins this year and a couple in the Tour last year.

jaylew said:
TMP402 said:
jmdirt said:

Nice sprint Cav!

This. AK in good form has no problems in traditional sprints against the top guys. After all, we're talking about a guy with 18 wins this year and a couple in the Tour last year.

When no-one else is on form and he is he can win ok in flat bunch sprints, but at the Tour, nope. Only with luck. Hardly a bad thing though.

TMP402 said:
jmdirt said:

Nice sprint Cav!

Exactly!

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site

King Boonen said:
Happy dude said:
King Boonen said:
jmdirt said:

Nice sprint Cav!

Who said Kristoff sucks?

Yeah I know sorry, I couldn't be bothered to find the original post and I'm not an expert at post modifying :)

Happy dude said:
King Boonen said:
Happy dude said:
King Boonen said:
jmdirt said:

Nice sprint Cav!

Who said Kristoff sucks?

Yeah I know sorry, I couldn't be bothered to find the original post and I'm not an expert at post modifying :)

The new quote system is a bit of a pain isn't it!

jmdirt said:
King Boonen said:
jmdirt said:

Nice sprint Cav!

Who said Kristoff sucks?

Read above. While no one actually used the word "sucks" it was implied many times.

I don't see anyone implying he sucks. I see people saying he can't win a flat, fast sprint against the top sprinters at the Tour, but that's something entirely different.

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

King Boonen said:
jaylew said:
TMP402 said:
jmdirt said:

Nice sprint Cav!

When no-one else is on form and he is he can win ok in flat bunch sprints, but at the Tour, nope. Only with luck. Hardly a bad thing though.
This is ridiculous. Do you remember stage 15 last year? He beat Haussler, Sagan, Greipel, Renshaw, Coquard in a deadly flat arrive.

https://youtu.be/XsSk9MfuHOM?t=5667

TRENDING THREADS