• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Tour de San Luis, January 19-25th (2.1)

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Nice riding by Diaz. Hopefully we wont see his own thread at the clinic section anytime soon.

As per the stream, the Heli camera person was moving the camera so quickly that even my dog got all confused from the speed of his hands. :eek:

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
1. Dani Díaz (Funvic) 3:29:25
2. Alex Diniz (Funvic) a 52
3. Rodolfo Torres (Colombia) a 54
4. Nairo Quintana (Movistar Team) a 56
5. Eduardo Sepúlveda (Bretagne) a 1:19
6. Rodrigo Contreras (Sel. Colombia) a 1:57
7. Leando Messineo (San Luis Somos Todos) a 2:10
8. Dani Moreno (Katusha) m.t.
9. Miguel Ángel Rubiano (Colombia) a 2:36
10. Ilnur Zakarin (Katusha) a 2:47

Those gaps :eek:
I'd like to know how many W/kg Diaz did.

Jancouver said:
Nice riding by Diaz. Hopefully we wont see his own thread at the clinic section anytime soon.

As per the stream, the Heli camera person was moving the camera so quickly that even my dog got all confused from the speed of his hands. :eek:

He won this in 2013 beating Contador and is crushing yet another GT winner with ease this time around - it was like watching Wacky Races up that climb there. Why has he not wangled a gig with the teams willing to give South American talent a chance?

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Diaz's bio says he rode for Servetto-Fuji as a stagiaire in 2010 and then in 2011 La Pomme Marseille but then returned home to South America in 2012.He's well paid by Funvic according to Ryo and comes from Salta which is a city of astounding beauty a bit like an Andalucian city,maybe prefers it closer to home.Just guessing.

Surely a large bag of money from Tinkoff would bring him back to Europe.

Ammattipyoraily says Diaz was 1 minute faster than Quintana last year.
Quintana said he gave his all (one of my fastest climbs in my whole life) and that "here they could be losing potential TdF winners".. not sure if it was a praise.

De Snelle Duif said:
Considering Diaz probably sucks quite hard at TT's, how much time will he lose to Sepulveda? Probably not more than a minute I guess?

Not too much data, ITT in 2013 was identical to 2014 (same route and distance)
Tuft won in 2013 with 22:14, Diaz was 22nd at 1:18, Diniz 23rd at 1:20
Malori won in 2014 with 22:11, Quintana was 16th at 1:18, Sepulveda 17th at 1:21 (and Diaz lost over 4 mins but he was working for Godoy and Moyano)

So we can suppose they have similar ITT skills... Torres is a bit unknown, This may be the first time he tackles an ITT for GC placing.

This time the ITT is 2Km shorter

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
De Snelle Duif said:
Considering Diaz probably sucks quite hard at TT's, how much time will he lose to Sepulveda? Probably not more than a minute I guess?

diaz itt is more than fine. I think he will top 5 easily. he was 2nd last year at argentine national itt just behind messineo. he worked a lot on his itt and at funvic they are true itt masters with very good equipment.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
slosada said:
Ammattipyoraily says Diaz was 1 minute faster than Quintana last year.
Quintana said he gave his all (one of my fastest climbs in my whole life) and that "here they could be losing potential TdF winners".. not sure if it was a praise.

hard to say about diaz. can't say I trust him completely now. at san luis I'm pretty sure he was clean considering in local races their team often got beaten by known dopers like dotti in the mountains. also a reason I think why argentine fed never sent any of those riders to san luis. though in recent times they cleaned up especially in youth.

funvic is a team I would normally trust. brazil used to be the biggest dopinghorde in the world. worse than portugal but they changed a lot after 2007 already working towards rio maybe. I don't have direct sources for brazilian cycling but I think it's pretty clean right now. still diaz performance is incredible. funvic is a very good team though with trainers and modern techniques. better than san luis I'm sure. a lot more money too

also diaz natural talent is unmistakable considering he rode in spain as a very young rider and he tore up the scene being the sensation there and being offered a wt contract by geox. when geox fell through he lost all motivation and barely showed anything at la pomme.

personally I think we will never see him in europe unless he still has very strong ambitions there. similar to brazilians who we will never see. there is only 1 race they know and that is the tour and they could never win it so it's better to ride locally and be a star there for a lot more money than wt teams would offer them

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
slosada said:
Not too much data, ITT in 2013 was identical to 2014 (same route and distance)
Tuft won in 2013 with 22:14, Diaz was 22nd at 1:18, Diniz 23rd at 1:20
Malori won in 2014 with 22:11, Quintana was 16th at 1:18, Sepulveda 17th at 1:21 (and Diaz lost over 4 mins but he was working for Godoy and Moyano)

So we can suppose they have similar ITT skills... Torres is a bit unknown, This may be the first time he tackles an ITT for GC placing.

This time the ITT is 2Km shorter

rodolo torres has done countless itt's for gc and he's very good at them for a colombian. he's always been a good itt rider there. it's prove that when colombians don't have to train in freezeing temoeratures in cold they do a lot better. diaz, torres and rubiano are doing pretty good now and torres has a lot of talent. I just hope they also let cano train in colombia until march

Ryo Hazuki said:
rodolo torres has done countless itt's for gc and he's very good at them for a colombian. he's always been a good itt rider there. it's prove that when colombians don't have to train in freezeing temoeratures in cold they do a lot better. diaz, torres and rubiano are doing pretty good now and torres has a lot of talent. I just hope they also let cano train in colombia until march

Cano will do the nationals (8 feb I believe) but after that he goes to Europe as he will ride Andalucia which starts 18 feb

I think Diaz always had the desire to still compete in Europe, I remember an interview of last year before the Tour de San Luis where he said he hoped to perform so that he could ride himself in the picture for some European teams. That didnt work out last year though.

Stage 5, the ITT:

thumb_uc_205305_506_Hoehenprofil_Tour_de_San_Luis_2015_-_Etappe_5.jpg

A few corners:

thumb_uc_205318_506_Streckenverlauf_Tour_de_San_Luis_2015_-_Etappe_5.jpg

Can Kwia mingle with the locals? Not sure about his form.

Starts 19:25 (CET)

Ryo Hazuki said:
Would you mind bringing a few flat ITT performances where Torres was riding for GC?

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
All the Colombians are good in this race, expect Betancur.

Also good riding by Jaramillo. Not the super guy, but steadily improving.

Roldan is also climbing well this week. He was known as a decent sprinter right?

Ruudz0r said:
I think Diaz always had the desire to still compete in Europe, I remember an interview of last year before the Tour de San Luis where he said he hoped to perform so that he could ride himself in the picture for some European teams. That didnt work out last year though.
Of course. That is everybody's dream. Even the crazy Rujano and the fat cat. Otherwise there is no sense in being a cyclist anymore. If it is to compete against the best.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I was watching some clips from the Tour do Brasil from last year, because of the dominance of Funvic. But then i saw the great Joao Gaspar fighting and dominating the field together with the Funvic boys in that race. I almost forgot him.

I was wondering what he could do this year with Team Equador where he now has a contract for 2015. Ryo perhaps?

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
slosada said:
Would you mind bringing a few flat ITT performances where Torres was riding for GC?

clasica meta 2007, finished 2nd gc:

http://www.dewielersite.net/db2/wielersite/ritfiche.php?ritid=92154&wedstrijdvoorloopid=3936

vuelta costa rica 2011 finished 6th in gc

http://www.dewielersite.net/db2/wielersite/ritfiche.php?ritid=185088&wedstrijdvoorloopid=13608#ucira

vuelta boyaca 2012, 3rd in gc:

http://www.dewielersite.net/db2/wielersite/ritfiche.php?ritid=195972&wedstrijdvoorloopid=14206#ucira

vuelta santander 2013, 3rd in gc

http://www.dewielersite.net/db2/wielersite/ritfiche.php?ritid=223657&wedstrijdvoorloopid=16908#ucira

also he was a track rider nationally as a junior

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Arredondo said:
I was watching some clips from the Tour do Brasil from last year, because of the dominance of Funvic. But then i saw the great Joao Gaspar fighting and dominating the field together with the Funvic boys in that race. I almost forgot him.

I was wondering what he could do this year with Team Equador where he now has a contract for 2015. Ryo perhaps?

don't know. he didn't do too well imo in uci team. brazilian needs a lot of adaptation towards european cycling mostly so they should come over young. manarelli, monteiro and andriato did at young age well in italy