2015 Tour Down Under, Jan 18-25 (2.uwt)

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Bye Bye Bicycle said:
You do realize that there are seven-man teams at this race?

Craddock led the field throughout the day and dropped back early (and finished last with over 10 minutes behind Bobridge). Geschke and Dumoulin were focusing on their GC prospects. That leaves Haga, Timmer and de Kort, with the latter needed for his leadout duties. Hard to control a break of TT machines like Westra and Durbridge with such a small team.
Indeed, they do rely on other teams bringing it back a lot though. Most of the time it works for them, other teams always do it for them. Etixx almost did it today as well.

Jun 24, 2013
Bye Bye Bicycle said:

Craddock led the field throughout the day and dropped back early (and finished last with over 10 minutes behind Bobridge). Geschke and Dumoulin were focusing on their GC prospects. That leaves Haga, Timmer and de Kort, with the latter needed for his leadout duties. Hard to control a break of TT machines like Westra and Durbridge with such a small team.
I did not, that clarifies a bit. Still, they also do this in races with 9 man teams. They did apparently control a bit in the beginning but I didn't watch then so I have no idea which riders were leading the peloton.

Most of the time they can rely on Quickstep but they use their normal "sprint finish team" in San Luis I guess. Also, really strong TTers in the break make it harder to take them back.

May 24, 2014
De Snelle Duif said:
I did not, that clarifies a bit. Still, they also do this in races with 9 man teams. They did apparently control a bit in the beginning but I didn't watch then so I have no idea which riders were leading the peloton.

Most of the time they can rely on Quickstep but they use their normal "sprint finish team" in San Luis I guess. Also, really strong TTers in the break make it harder to take them back.
Didn't they have that one Chinese guy who was pretty strong at bringing back breaks?

May 24, 2014
trevim said:
Yeah they have a Chinese guy who is pretty decent and who was severely hyped but he's not in this race :)
No, I know he isn't in the race :)
I was more talking about their general riding at the front power.

Feb 19, 2014
Ji Cheng, "The Breakaway Killer", first Chinese rider to compete in a GT,think he's done all three now. Not hyped as such, works tirelessly for the team.

Mar 14, 2009
Bye Bye Bicycle said:

How I wish every race was restricted to 7 or rather just 6 man teams. Plus take away the radios and we will have some exciting bike racing. :eek:

Perhaps TDU should be the guinea pig for testing some rule changes etc. That could make this race a little more exciting :cool:

ASK THE COMMUNITY