• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Tour Down Under, Jan 18-25 (2.uwt)

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Bye Bye Bicycle said:
You do realize that there are seven-man teams at this race?

Craddock led the field throughout the day and dropped back early (and finished last with over 10 minutes behind Bobridge). Geschke and Dumoulin were focusing on their GC prospects. That leaves Haga, Timmer and de Kort, with the latter needed for his leadout duties. Hard to control a break of TT machines like Westra and Durbridge with such a small team.

Indeed, they do rely on other teams bringing it back a lot though. Most of the time it works for them, other teams always do it for them. Etixx almost did it today as well.

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Bye Bye Bicycle said:

Craddock led the field throughout the day and dropped back early (and finished last with over 10 minutes behind Bobridge). Geschke and Dumoulin were focusing on their GC prospects. That leaves Haga, Timmer and de Kort, with the latter needed for his leadout duties. Hard to control a break of TT machines like Westra and Durbridge with such a small team.

I did not, that clarifies a bit. Still, they also do this in races with 9 man teams. They did apparently control a bit in the beginning but I didn't watch then so I have no idea which riders were leading the peloton.

Most of the time they can rely on Quickstep but they use their normal "sprint finish team" in San Luis I guess. Also, really strong TTers in the break make it harder to take them back.

De Snelle Duif said:
I did not, that clarifies a bit. Still, they also do this in races with 9 man teams. They did apparently control a bit in the beginning but I didn't watch then so I have no idea which riders were leading the peloton.

Most of the time they can rely on Quickstep but they use their normal "sprint finish team" in San Luis I guess. Also, really strong TTers in the break make it harder to take them back.

Didn't they have that one Chinese guy who was pretty strong at bringing back breaks?

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Ji Cheng, "The Breakaway Killer", first Chinese rider to compete in a GT,think he's done all three now. Not hyped as such, works tirelessly for the team.

Stage 1 winner:

320-PIC516689576.jpg

More pics: http://www.steephill.tv/2015/tour-down-under/photos/stage-01/

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Bye Bye Bicycle said:

How I wish every race was restricted to 7 or rather just 6 man teams. Plus take away the radios and we will have some exciting bike racing. :eek:

Perhaps TDU should be the guinea pig for testing some rule changes etc. That could make this race a little more exciting :cool:

TRENDING THREADS