• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Vuelta stage 10: Valencia > Castellón 146.6km

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Orbit501 said:
Pharazon said:
Caleb Ewan abandons

Is a good thing.

Save the young lad rather then ruin him.

He's got great experience and a fantastic stage win to boot.

Now all eggs can go in the Chaves basket as well. Sensible move all round.

Sensible move to "lift him" from the race. He's realistically 2 years away minimum from being a viable proposition to finish a GT.

The break can't be happy. Usually in this types of scenarios they will try to convince the guy high on GC to leave, but I doubt Sky are keen on being the only team without a rider up front, and therefore having to chase. That said, not cool having sent Henao.

Re:

BigMac said:
The break can't be happy. Usually in this types of scenarios they will try to convince the guy high on GC to leave, but I doubt Sky are keen on being the only team without a rider up front, and therefore having to chase. That said, not cool having sent Henao.

They have Puccio and Boswell there too. But even if Henao dropped, there is still Navarro high up in GC.

togo95 said:
BigMac said:

They have Puccio and Boswell there too. But even if Henao dropped, there is still Navarro high up in GC.

My bad, didn't take a proper look at the break.

Re:

BigMac said:

Crappy unwritten rules like this re the reason most gt stages are so boring until the finish.
Why shouldn't he be in the break if Sky feel it benefits them tactically?
Should Navarro also drop back?
What would be a satisfactory amount to be behind in the GC before someone has the temerity to join a break?

Edit. Question kind of answered before I posted.

TommyPlus said:
BigMac said:

Crappy unwritten rules like this re the reason most gt stages are so boring until the finish.
What would be a satisfactory amount to be behind in the GC before someone has the temerity to join a brea?
Well not 1 *** minute, thats for sure. He singlehandidly dooms a 40 man break.

TommyPlus said:
BigMac said:

What would be a satisfactory amount to be behind in the GC before someone has the temerity to join a break?

Thing is by putting someone high placed on GC in the break, they may end ruining their own chances as well. Their's and everyone's. Not saying I agree, saying I can understand.

Plus what mano said above.

classicomano said:
TommyPlus said:
BigMac said:

What would be a satisfactory amount to be behind in the GC before someone has the temerity to join a brea?
Well not 1 **** minute, thats for sure. He singlehandidly dooms a 40 man break.

Who is at 1 **** minute?

classicomano said:
TommyPlus said:
BigMac said:

Well not 1 **** minute, thats for sure. He singlehandidly dooms a 40 man break.

He was 3 minutes, not 1, and Navarro is only 5 minutes as well.

Different if it's a break of less than a dozen good breakaway riders all working well together, but I'm sorry, a 40 man group is fair game for anyone to go with.

BigMac said:
TommyPlus said:
BigMac said:

Thing is by putting someone high placed on GC in the break, they may end ruining their own chances as well. Their's and everyone's. Not saying I agree, saying I can understand.

Plus what mano said above.
I agree if it's the teams best placed GC rider but not in this instance

While I understand the usual break suspects, then if riders (read Henao, Navarro, Elisonde, etc) want to improve some GC positions, they can only try at the end of the stage?
What if Sky is preparing a counterattack (Froome, Nieve, Roche) in the last KOM? They want to make sure the rivals are tired.

Deal with what you have, best case for these guys is save energies and break from a smaller group closer to the end of the stage.

TRENDING THREADS