• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Vuelta stage 19: Medina del Campo > Ávila 185.8km

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Taxus4a said:
Today Saxo did what the have to do, but they remermered me that I dont like that team.

Good Tom as expected he tooks some second today, but Aru was again really strong and tomorrow there are climbs to drop Tom in some moment.

Good Movistar to try, although they were wrong.

Impressive Cougeard, he looks very good for the future.
I think in hindsight it was wasted effort by Dumoulin. He's gained a few seconds that won't help him if he's dropped in the mountains. Would have been better to save all his strength and just stick to Aru like glue tomorrow. He's probably burnt two or three matches from that late push; two or three that he won't have available tomorrow now.

Nice domestique work by Pozzovivo for Aru at the end there, probably saved him a couple of seconds. Couldn't he have at least tried to hide it by not looking over his shoulder so much?

After all of the talk about a Dutch alliance, it looks like the Italians are working together.

Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
I think in hindsight it was wasted effort by Dumoulin. He's gained a few seconds that won't help him if he's dropped in the mountains. Would have been better to save all his strength and just stick to Aru like glue tomorrow. He's probably burnt two or three matches from that late push; two or three that he won't have available tomorrow now.

In a hindsight, I would say that Aru appeared to burn more matched than Tom in his desperate chase...

Re:

shalgo said:
Nice domestique work by Pozzovivo for Aru at the end there, probably saved him a couple of seconds. Couldn't he have at least tried to hide it by not looking over his shoulder so much?

After all of the talk about a Dutch alliance, it looks like the Italians are working together.
Just looked like how any two riders would normally co-operate to me. He hardly pulled him all the way. He followed Aru's wheel for the vast majority of the climb and only went to the front in the last 100m when Aru's power was fading.

DFA123 said:
Taxus4a said:
Today Saxo did what the have to do, but they remermered me that I dont like that team.

Good Tom as expected he tooks some second today, but Aru was again really strong and tomorrow there are climbs to drop Tom in some moment.

Good Movistar to try, although they were wrong.

Impressive Cougeard, he looks very good for the future.

Aru didn't exactly get a free ride there either.

If TD was feeling good, it was the right thing to do. There are bonus seconds up for grabs and 6 secs is better than 3 if they all end up together tomorrow.

DFA123 said:
shalgo said:

Just looked like how any two riders would normally co-operate to me. He hardly pulled him all the way. He followed Aru's wheel for the vast majority of the climb and only went to the front in the last 100m when Aru's power was fading.

Yep. Aru did almost all of the work there.

seldon71 said:
DFA123 said:

In a hindsight, I would say that Aru appeared to burn more matched than Tom in his desperate chase...
Possibly, but Dumoulin is in the driving seat; it's better for him to keep all his matches ready to follow whatever Aru does tomorrow. He's lost time on all the big mountain stages already to Aru, so it may have been wise to save all the strength possible.

DFA123 said:
shalgo said:

Including looking over his shoulder twice to make sure that Aru wasn't gapped? He followed Aru until Aru was cooked and then took over and pulled him to the line.

Hugo Koblet said:
Cramps said:
Supposing tomorrow Aru comes 1st, TD comes third but in the same group. Aru and TD would have same time counting bonuses. How is tie resolved?
1/100th from the ITT (I think that Dumoulin will win in that case).

Would be awesome to have a GT decided by 1/100's of a second

The timings would be disputed until doomsday though

shalgo said:
DFA123 said:
shalgo said:

Including looking over his shoulder twice to make sure that Aru wasn't gapped? He followed Aru until Aru was cooked and then took over and pulled him to the line.
I think if he was really doing domestique work, he'd have buried himself at the front to close the gap on Dumoulin much earlier in the climb. All he did was go to the front when Aru started to fade; in that situation, having wheelsucked for several hundred metres, it wouldn't have made him many friends in the peloton if he then sprinted off.

DFA123 said:
I think if he was really doing domestique work, he'd have buried himself at the front to close the gap on Dumoulin much earlier in the climb. All he did was go to the front when Aru started to fade; in that situation, having wheelsucked for several hundred metres, it wouldn't have made him many friends in the peloton if he then sprinted off.
I think the natural thing to do in that situation would have been to just stay behind Aru. Going in front, pulling at a steady pace, and checking for Aru over your shoulder seems like an unnatural thing for a rival to do. I'm not saying he rode the entire finale as a dom; just that he decided to give Aru a little help right at the end.

Re:

Descender said:
Too bad tomorrow's climbs are too soft for Aru to drop Domoulin.

In that case you have to put 10 km more of plane ITT.

They have had hard stages as Andorra or Alba and they couldnt, so...

Tomorrow is a hard day with 4 climbs, and there is a climb as well in the last Km. If Aru with that strong team cant drop Dumoulin, Tom is the well deserved winner. this is a climb for climber, not like today or yesterday, so, no excuses.

Morcuera1.gif

Aru as well deserved, he is maybe not superstrong, but he is the second stronger and always fighting, Today he put time on an explosive climb in the coggles to riders as Purito and all the ret except Pozzo (impresive) and Moreno.

DFA123 said:

Aru will also have burned some matches.

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site

shalgo said:
DFA123 said:
I think the natural thing to do in that situation would have been to just stay behind Aru. Going in front, pulling at a steady pace, and checking for Aru over your shoulder seems like an unnatural thing for a rival to do. I'm not saying he rode the entire finale as a dom; just that he decided to give Aru a little help right at the end.

dai...cycling is team sport. its not forbidden to use other teams riders. thats why you have to be nice in peloton. karma

shalgo said:
DFA123 said:
Yeah, that's probably fair. Pozzovivo gained a bit of time as well by riding it like that though and he's still in with a shout for the top 10, so I guess it was a mutually beneficial exchange. Probably didn't want to drop Aru at the end - might have led to some awkward conversations in the US later this month!

BigMac said:
Hugo Koblet said:
woodburn said:
Turning out to be nice Vuelta for next generation of Americans ... Craddock, Boswell, Warbasse and Dombrowski.
Honestly, the only one I've seen of these is Boswell :D

Larry has been here and there too. Craddock has been imense since week one doing 90% of the team work for Dumoulin.

Immense and immense... I have seen numerous 30 man group only with Dumoulin present from Giant. But he has without a doubt been the best dom, but on the other hand, that doesnt say super much imo.

I had expected more from Dombro after his good showing in Utah (?). I havent noticed Warbasse apart from him being a horrendous descender. Boswell on the other hand has shown he is a good climber with a lot of promise, but we kinda already knew that.

Aapjes said:
DFA123 said:

Aru will also have burned some matches.
Indeed, but Aru is in a situation where he probably has to take risks to win. He is in a better position if both him and Dumoulin are down to their last matches tomorrow than Dumoulin is. For Dumoulin, who only has to follow, the fresher the better.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
I really hope that Aru wont be bothered by his crash tomorrow.I am so looking forward to the fight!

I wonder if it would be a good idea for Aru to eat only beans tonight.... :D

Re:

SafeBet said:
Mikel Landa 146th at 26'11".

I'm sensing big things for tomorrow.
Landa could be the key for tomorrow, but I hope he just do a normal work, not that performance to drop Dumoulin in Morcuera.

If Aru attack alone is a problem, we show that last year with Froome and Contador, but Last year if Froome just have to follow Landa working maybe at the end could drop Contador. Other way is Contador who droped finally him. and tomorrow if Landa put a hard pace that Aru can follow in Morcuera, maybe a final attack from Aru could drop Tom.

I hope no, Astana didnt helped him to win the Giro, and although he didnt help Aru in Andorra, maybe is not enough. Just a normal work, not superwork, but tomorrow is a good day for Landa, today and yesterday wanst.

The problem for Tom is although maybe in the flat after Cotos and in the descent he could recover some seconds to Aru, if he drop just 2 meters in Morcuera he is likely to lost la Vuelta...

Movistar maybe is goint to atack form the first climb, the hardest of the day, but that is maybe more problem for Saxo.

if Domoulin can handle a difficul stage and situation as tomorrow, we have a champion to face Froome in le Tour for the next years.

I expect tomorrow Movitar in the attack, at the begining, maybe no Alejandro and Quintana, but who knows, and later Astana giving everything, with Landa very strong in Morcuera.

It will be a very exciting stage for sure