• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Vuelta stage 19: Medina del Campo > Ávila 185.8km

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
IMO the thing Astana has to do is to not work...
Seriously, You can't drop someone who is as strong as you by just attacking him over and over again. However Movistar will attack, Tinkoff will attack (or they will just lead Dumoulin up all the climbs because Majka thinks that defending his fourth place is worth more than trying to get a podium), even Katusha might attack (Purito has enough podiums. We saw yesterday that he isnt satisfied). Giant is extremely weak, and if Dumoulin suddenly has to close a huge gap to Purito, Majka and/or Quintana, on his own, I don't think he can follow an Aru attack on Cotos.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Gigs_98 said:
IMO the thing Astana has to do is to not work...
Seriously, You can't drop someone who is as strong as you by just attacking him over and over again. However Movistar will attack, Tinkoff will attack (or they will just lead Dumoulin up all the climbs because Majka thinks that defending his fourth place is worth more than trying to get a podium), even Katusha might attack (Purito has enough podiums. We saw yesterday that he isnt satisfied). Giant is extremely weak, and if Dumoulin suddenly has to close a huge gap to Purito, Majka and/or Quintana, on his own, I don't think he can follow an Aru attack on Cotos.

Aru and Astana will do that for him, they will not gamble with Purito up the road. He only needs to look Aru

Lulu giving Aru a handsling?

COox5VEWUAAJOZc.jpg

3f1d85c8b6.jpg

Re: Re:

victorschipolrijk said:
DFA123 said:
Good news for the race is that Aru looked really strong closing down the gap at the end, with almost no help from his team. Doesn't seem too affected by the crash and should attack loads tomorrow if that is the case.
Pozzovivo gave him a hand, without him he woulda lost 4" more.
And? For Aru to put in such a decent effort on a climb that doesn't suit him at all - dropping nearly all of the other GC riders clearly shows he is feeling pretty good. :rolleyes:

seldon71 said:
DFA123 said:
I think in hindsight it was wasted effort by Dumoulin. He's gained a few seconds that won't help him if he's dropped in the mountains. Would have been better to save all his strength and just stick to Aru like glue tomorrow. He's probably burnt two or three matches from that late push; two or three that he won't have available tomorrow now.

In a hindsight, I would say that Aru appeared to burn more matched than Tom in his desperate chase...
That's right.

Apparently some folks think that TD made a huge effort but the rest of the field crossed the finish line riding a cab.

Everyone made a big effort.

The psychological effect of losing time to his main foe, can take its toll.

Anyways, between the end of today's stage and the beginning of tomorrow's, there is a night, and I am sure both of them will be a little bit restless, but Aru more, he knows that out of 3 bullets, he already squandered 2, only one left.

Landa will be fresh, he lost some more time today to save energy for tomorrow. He certainly be ready to drop TD, and he probably will and in the process Aru too.

I don't know what is going to happen tomorrow, who is going to win, but I am pretty confident that Aru won't be able to drop TD.

Dazed and Confused said:
StannisBaratheon said:
classicomano said:
Lulu giving Aru a handsling?

COox5VEWUAAJOZc.jpg

3f1d85c8b6.jpg
He should be banned and all his results should be nullified, just like Armstrong

Well, there gotta be a penalty for this.

10-25s seems right.

I can't imagine Aru getting away with this.

It would be 10 seconds according to the UCI rulebook. Looks just about inconclusive enough for the organisers to look the other way though unless there is another angle somewhere.

Re:

screaming fist said:
In the overhead from the TV pictures they are hidden by the tree. However, the jury might still have access to other footage and surely will be able to view it frame by frame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oOYuvaPEkE&feature=youtu.be&t=11m8s
The helicopter view switches off before the actual event and they were in clear view so they definetly got it on camera, if it happened.