• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Critérium du Dauphiné, 2.UWT, June 5-12

Page 117 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

CheckMyPecs said:
Hakkapelit said:
CheckMyPecs said:
PremierAndrew said:
But Nibali and Froome have faced each other several times and Nibali's only ever beaten Froome at 2013 TA (well and 2014 Dauphine I guess), and that was due to his superior descending in the wet, along with good tactics. But it's not like rain is usually a factor in the Dauphine
And 2014 Tour. Being able to stay on one's bike is also an important part of cycling, it's not just about climbing.
You can only beat those in the race though...
If you manage to finish the race while they didn't, you already beat them.
Nah, in my book it just means you finished a race that somebody other didn´t.

CheckMyPecs said:
Hakkapelit said:
CheckMyPecs said:
PremierAndrew said:
But Nibali and Froome have faced each other several times and Nibali's only ever beaten Froome at 2013 TA (well and 2014 Dauphine I guess), and that was due to his superior descending in the wet, along with good tactics. But it's not like rain is usually a factor in the Dauphine
And 2014 Tour. Being able to stay on one's bike is also an important part of cycling, it's not just about climbing.
You can only beat those in the race though...
If you manage to finish the race while they didn't, you already beat them.
Great logic. If we use this definition, Pozzovivo has beaten Kittel in a sprint, Guardini has beaten Quintana in a GT and Pello Bilbao has beaten Cancellara in RVV.

The problem is that saying that anyone has beaten anyone becomes completely and utterly meaningless, but go ahead.

Here ya go, Yaco, from Ride Media's Q&A with Richie, puts it straigher than my crappy memory could recall!!!
http://www.ridemedia.com.au/interviews/richie-porte-qa-leader-of-the-worldtour/

===============================================================
From RIDE media's Q&A with Richie:

We saw you have a little chat with Alberto when the two of you were away. What’s being discussed then? It’s an obvious question but what language are you speaking and what have you got to say to one another?

“I use English.

“To be honest with you, I didn’t really want to attack ‘G’. I said that to G – that I wouldn’t attack him first… but then I also wanted to be on the podium and although G is one of my good mates, it’s a race. I didn’t really want to cooperate too much with Alberto but when we got away, it was to go for the podium for myself and try to get rid of [Ilnur] Zakarin (the stage winner on the Saturday, and third on GC going into the final stage just one second ahead of Porte).

“I guess we both had interests and I think it worked out quite well in the end, to move up into third position on the last day was quite a nice feeling.”
====================================================================

Sorry Richie, but here are my thoughts. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for not countering Contador's attack, because maybe he was at the limit. OK, once Froome came to the front, it seemed to slow down. The top 3 were up front with Contador and Martin. You could argue that LRP should have pushed the pace to distance Martin who was an obvious threat to LRP's podium position, but I'll even give him the benefit of the doubt here. Martin probably would have got back on and/or one of Bardet or Contador could have countered.

However, on the final climb LRP was tactically a complete waste of space. As a team leader, his goal is to get the highest GC position possible. OK, it's clear that Froome was stronger, so LRP should be racing against Bardet and Martin. So what does he do? Surround himself with Sky riders rather than marking Martin, who due to his skills and the GC position clearly would make an attack (just a time bonus was not enough to overtake LRP). As a result, Martin skips away. You can forgive him for not being able to beat Bardet and Martin in a sprint, because he can't pedal fast enough, but he completely lost the plot.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Laplaz said:
Happy with Meintjes performance this week
He was already great on 2 mountain stages last year, but this year he was really consistent, hopefully he'll have a great Tour.
Really impressed by Rosa, Astana already wanted to have him as the team leader in a few one week races at the start of the season, but he had some health problems. Now he finished in the top 10 in a hard one week race (his first Dauphine) against a strong field, great news. :)

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

dusty red roads said:
Here ya go, Yaco, from Ride Media's Q&A with Richie, puts it straigher than my crappy memory could recall!!!
http://www.ridemedia.com.au/interviews/richie-porte-qa-leader-of-the-worldtour/

===============================================================
From RIDE media's Q&A with Richie:

We saw you have a little chat with Alberto when the two of you were away. What’s being discussed then? It’s an obvious question but what language are you speaking and what have you got to say to one another?

“I use English.

“To be honest with you, I didn’t really want to attack ‘G’. I said that to G – that I wouldn’t attack him first… but then I also wanted to be on the podium and although G is one of my good mates, it’s a race. I didn’t really want to cooperate too much with Alberto but when we got away, it was to go for the podium for myself and try to get rid of [Ilnur] Zakarin (the stage winner on the Saturday, and third on GC going into the final stage just one second ahead of Porte).

“I guess we both had interests and I think it worked out quite well in the end, to move up into third position on the last day was quite a nice feeling.”
====================================================================
Ohhh god,that guy is even more stupid than I thought,its no wonder he had his best results while riding for Sky

Thanks for the post

Who are we to say that Bardet didn't deserve his 2nd place? He just about pulled a Talansky. So what? It's racing. He's not the best stage racer in the world, or even in France ;) , but he's really entertaining.

The bigger picture is that Froome has a slight edge over Contador. Porte had bad luck (again). Alaphilippe is a serious customer: he proved it against world-class opposition. Pinot is not at his best, Aru faded big time...I'm not sure that we have more answers than before the start of the CdD. But it was a nice race.

Tonton said:
Who are we to say that Bardet didn't deserve his 2nd place? He just about pulled a Talansky. So what? It's racing. He's not the best stage racer in the world, or even in France ;) , but he's really entertaining.

The bigger picture is that Froome has a slight edge over Contador. Porte had bad luck (again). Alaphilippe is a serious customer: he proved it against world-class opposition. Pinot is not at his best, Aru faded big time...I'm not sure that we have more answers than before the start of the CdD. But it was a nice race.

The fact that he was never dropped today despite his ride yesterday is a very very good sign.

Re:

Red Rick said:
I kinda doubt Bardet will be able to improve towards the Tour. He might actually be too good for his own good right now.
I tend to agree, but it will be great for the spectacle. Fireworks! Maybe go to the TdF with a post-ban Virenque agenda: get in breaks, get the points, win a stage, get the KOM. He was close last year.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re:

webvan said:
Mind boggling...why would he tell G. Thomas he wouldn't attack him? No reason to think it was any different at the Dauphiné with Froome. BMC need to sit him down earlier rather than later.
It's surprising to say the least.

Tonton said:

In what sense did Porte have bad luck? Froome was stronger. Bardet and Martin beat him, since Porte was busy chewing the cud with Froomey.

I will never understand how any experienced professional bike rider can come to an uphill last km in the company of Martin and somehow not seem to expect that he will attack. What did Porte think was going to happen exactly? That Martin was just going to trundle home casually in the group and not bother with trying to leapfrog the men on the lower steps of podium?

If Porte wasn't going to attack himself to try to gain time on Bardet he should have been nailed to Martin's rear end. Either option would have been rational. Sitting at the back having a relaxing chat with Froome was complete stupidity.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Porte once again proves he is either a dunce. Or a complete @55.

I believe the later. When AC is attacking on the penultimate climb. Porte rides Froomes wheel. Froome bridges and Porte just sits there! Letting Martin ride back into the group! Bardet tried to attack! Porte sits there! He gets a free ride on the descent!

And then once the SKY Doms ride back on. He has a chat with FROOME.

BMC should remind this clown. He was signed to give them early season wins!

Porte did not ride this race to win.

Re:

thehook said:
Porte once again proves he is either a dunce. Or a complete @55.

I believe the later. When AC is attacking on the penultimate climb. Porte rides Froomes wheel. Froome bridges and Porte just sits there! Letting Martin ride back into the group! Bardet tried to attack! Porte sits there! He gets a free ride on the descent!

And then once the SKY Doms ride back on. He has a chat with FROOME.

BMC should remind this clown. He was signed to give them early season wins!

Porte did not ride this race to win.

This was one of those occasions where a rider's approach doesn't seem so much ill advised as simply inexplicable. He didn't try to attack those ahead of him and he didn't try to defend against those behind him. I would be genuinely interested in hearing what he had to say at the end of the race. I'm sure the BMC DS had a few questions too.

You'd think the Dauphine organizers would be a little put off by so many of the big name riders calling their race 'good training'. We understand that when you're targeting the TDF that everything you do prior, is considered a part of your build-up and that you're not at your peak yet etc.. but still, if I'm the race organizer I wouldn't want so many of the riders you've invited to keep saying that they're happy NOT to be contesting for the podium or whatever as long as they get the training they need for the TDF. When I watch the Dauphine I'm not sitting there thinking, "what a great training race this is" but maybe I should be?

Re:

King Of Molehill said:
You'd think the Dauphine organizers would be a little put off by so many of the big name riders calling their race 'good training'. We understand that when you're targeting the TDF that everything you do prior, is considered a part of your build-up and that you're not at your peak yet etc.. but still, if I'm the race organizer I wouldn't want so many of the riders you've invited to keep saying that they're happy NOT to be contesting for the podium or whatever as long as they get the training they need for the TDF. When I watch the Dauphine I'm not sitting there thinking, "what a great training race this is" but maybe I should be?

the Dauphine (organized by ASO) is more than happy to have the Tour stars there. dont worry.

pastronef said:
King Of Molehill said:

the Dauphine (organized by ASO) is more than happy to have the Tour stars there. dont worry.

Exactly, everyone is there talking about the Tour, you also get most of the Tour GC rivals there putting in attacks and finding their form, It's a win-win for ASO.

Don't forget they've also including some stages that are featured a month later in the Tour.

Pricey_sky said:
pastronef said:
King Of Molehill said:

Exactly, everyone is there talking about the Tour, you also get most of the Tour GC rivals there putting in attacks and finding their form, It's a win-win for ASO.

Don't forget they've also including some stages that are featured a month later in the Tour.

I know it´s not very á la mode these days :p but I am an Aso races fan. I never miss the Dauphiné every year. French roads, early summer, Tour contenders. perfect