• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Dwars door het Hageland Fri 5th Aug 1.1

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
What happened to Tommeke?

Hopefully this race will grow in status and give the hard men some proper races in the summer/fall.

At 70k from the finish there was a short steep hill. Boonen tried to follow Van Aert who was trying to jump to the first group which was 10" in front. Tom couldn't follow him.

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Did Terpstra say that the organizers included too many gravels sections? Also one of the commentators was saying that it is too much.
I found that extremely interesting.

Re:

TMP402 said:
Terpstra with a weird interview. He practically said the parcours was too challenging and race organisers are trying to make their race as hard as possible to out-do other races.

That's not really what I made of his words. More like that this parcours was fine but it shouldn't be a weekly event.

Re:

TMP402 said:
Terpstra with a weird interview. He practically said the parcours was too challenging and race organisers are trying to make their race as hard as possible to out-do other races.

But he has won the two races this season that did that, Samyn and this :Question:

Well-deserved win by him! Senechal and Wallays are guys to watch for next year's Paris-Roubaix I think. Baptiste crashing in the last corner, must have felt really stupid :D

With the last climb this is perfect race for Sagan to start his fall season. He would not be probably in good shape as he should peak in Canada, but this race parkour is amazing. At least what I could see. I would definitely love him to race Eneco Tour and then Canadian races :)

Re: Re:

lemon cheese cake said:
robin440 said:
Did Terpstra say that the organizers included too many gravels sections? Also one of the commentators was saying that it is too much.
The eurosport uk commentary team said having this in every race would be too much.

Of course it would. Just as it would be too much if every race was like Paris-Roubaix, or like the Andorra stage in last year's Vuelta. It would also - in a roundabout way - be boring; having it in every race would mean that this particular race wouldn't be unique.

Anyway, I like this race! I also liked the weather, though I have a suspicion the riders probably didn't agree with me. Well, that's not my problem, is it? :twisted:

Re:

Billie said:
Boonen in Pozzato's wheel. 2009 reverse :p

2qw3f61.png

:D

Re: Re:

RedheadDane said:
lemon cheese cake said:
robin440 said:
The eurosport uk commentary team said having this in every race would be too much.

Of course it would. Just as it would be too much if every race was like Paris-Roubaix, or like the Andorra stage in last year's Vuelta. It would also - in a roundabout way - be boring; having it in every race would mean that this particular race wouldn't be unique.

Anyway, I like this race! I also liked the weather, though I have a suspicion the riders probably didn't agree with me. Well, that's not my problem, is it? :twisted:
Yep. Its obvious one type of racing everyday does get boring. This type of race is exciting, as is a mountain stage, crosswind stage or the finale of a sprint stage can all be exciting, however a 'sprinkling' of everything us good to watch.

Re:

Flamin said:
Now that the race is over, it's fair to say this is a great addition to the cycling calendar. Great parcours, great organization, great camera work,... Kudos to Nuyens, Albert and co.

Yeah great work by them. The spring riders finally get some action during the end season. Great!

Also happy to see Terpstra win. Van Aert looked great as well.

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
What about you guys? I wouldn't mind if there would be 2 or 3 three more races like this, Tro bro leon is pretty cool and this one as well! Surely not every week but a few more would be exiting.

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Re:

scurrrr said:
What about you guys? I wouldn't mind if there would be 2 or 3 three more races like this, Tro bro leon is pretty cool and this one as well! Surely not every week but a few more would be exiting.

Defintley! 2 or 3 more should be alright! I mean why not it was pretty exiting!

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Well Strade Bianchi is basically the same thing and it has already managed to become an established race. It would be nice if Tro Bo Leon and Dwars door het Hageland become more established races too. In a couple of days there is a 1.2 race in the Netherlands that also uses unpaved roads; i.e. Slag om Norg. It already had a few editions, but this year will be its first as a 1.2 race. Schaal Sels is another Belgian 1.1 race in Autumn, which used unpaved roads last year and also some cobbled sections. Of course we have more established classics in autumn like Paris-Brussels and Paris-Tours, which have more conventional routes but can deliver great racing too.

I think 3 or 4 (important) oneday races with dirt roads are enough tbh. It needs to keep its uniqueness. Just make these races (Tro Bro Leon & DDHH) a bit more important (not WT, but HC would be great) to attract better riders. Tro Bro Leon, DDHH, Strade Bianche and maybe one (there is Schaal Sels but that was a mess last year) more should be enough.

There need to be more GT stages with sterrato/dirt roads though.

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
Well yes they should keep their uniqueness but 2 or 3 more would not change that i think. There are also a lot of races with some cobble stones apart from roubaix and still roubaix is really unqiue. I would rather watch a race with a few cobbles and gravel or dirt sections than a boring 200 km flat race.

TRENDING THREADS