• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 10 Campi Bisenzio - Sestola 219km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: 2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 10 Campi Bisenzio - Sestola 2

Fuglsang to attack on the penultimate climb, and Nibali catching up on the descent. Winner from the the break, and Astana gaining 20 secs on the GC guys.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

Here's how the rest of the Giro might play out.

Nibali and Valverde attempting to gap Landa on stages like this one, without much success.

Then Landani going full genius in the very hard mountain stages.

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site

rune1107 said:
Fuglsang to attack on the penultimate climb, and Nibali catching up on the descent. Winner from the the break, and Astana gaining 20 secs on the GC guys.

That is the most plausible Astana tactic to me as well.
But Fuglsang hasn't impressed me in the last two stages. I doubt he will create a gap in the last hard 4 km of pian del Falco, which will be ridden very hard by the group of favourites too.

Ataraxus said:
rune1107 said:

But Fuglsang hasn't impressed me in the last two stages. I doubt he will create a gap in the last hard 4 km of pian del Falco, which will be ridden very hard by the group of favourites too.

He did have a problem with his gears tho. The most plausible outcome would have been him finishing with the favourites group considering he just got up, then had the problem but managed to get up again before Valverde upping the pace once more.
And his TT's have been mediocre the last many years, so I wouldn't put too much stock into that. Lets see tomorrow.

Ataraxus said:
rune1107 said:

Then it's up to il capitano, may the legs be with him.

rune1107 said:
That is a very likely Astana tactic, especially now that Fuglsang has lost a little ground in GC, the other favourites will allow him to make a such move. However, it's still up to Nibali to actually get a reasonable gap to the others, which could be difficult on the del Falco descent when it's a quite short distance.

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Laplaz said:
The stage lasts 6 hours probably, quite long, after a rest day there could be carnage.

Ktujswijk and Amador will smell pink. Valeverde will smell stage win at least. May the force be with the NL Jumbo and Movistar domestiques for the fast pace before the climb.

Nibali's descending is overrated.

Nibali descends very well for a lighter GC rider but no better than someone like Valverde. In a stage like this the only way he could get away from a group of GC riders on a descent would be by taking huge risks - which he will never do when he can back himself to win without taking risks.

The Barb said:

Nibali descends very well for a lighter GC rider but no better than someone like Valverde. In a stage like this the only way he could get away from a group of GC riders on a descent would be by taking huge risks - which he will never do when he can back himself to win without taking risks.

For someone who won a monument by attacking and distancing everybody including Valverde on the descent, I wouldn't say he's overrated. But indeed, in a stage race when it is not decisive there is no point of going at the limit. With his experience I'm sure he'll take the right decision.

Rollthedice said:
The Barb said:

For someone who won a monument by attacking and distancing everybody including Valverde on the descent, I wouldn't say he's overrated. But indeed, in a stage race when it is not decisive there is no point of going at the limit. With his experience I'm sure he'll take the right decision.

You make a fair correction. I should have clarified with reference to Grand Tours.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Valverde could pull similar ride like in stage 8, he likes that penultimate climb and descent and he's usually very good after the rest day. Landa will be the main target this time.

Re:

Rollthedice said:
It will be the continuation of a beautiful friendship between Movistar and Astana which started with the elimination of Dumoulin. The next target is Landa and this time Astana will send somebody up the road followed by the attacks.
And in the end Kruijswijk is the laughing third without a team.

(wishful thinking, but who cares) :D