• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 13, Palmanova - Cividale 170 km

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nothing unexpected today regarding the GC. Tomorrow will be different is my bet. The differences ain't big high up in the GC so besides some short "I'll make a little dig and see what happens" there wasn't much happening.
They had saturday and sunday on their mind. That's all.

Nibali will eventually drop all of them.

Besides that... Woohoo Nieve! Always good for a great solo in the mountains.

Re: 2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 13, Palmanova - Cividale 170

Didn't see it today but it looks i wasn't missed much except Valverde forgetting to sprint for the bonus seconds :eek:
Nice for Lord Snow to step in and save Sky Giro.

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site

Josh Homme said:
Valverde's footage claiming he had no idea there were only two guys ahead (0.13). Great job by Movistar Team &#128528

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmhxWzBHIKY

- How many guys finished in front?
- Two.
- Just twoo?? So Nibali has finishe...
- Third.
- ****.. had no idea.

smh.

Mystery solved then, because that sure looked more like a leadout than a sprint by Bala.

Praying Mantis said:
Josh Homme said:
Valverde's footage claiming he had no idea there were only two guys ahead (0.13). Great job by Movistar Team &#128528

- Two.
- Third.
- ****.. had no idea.

smh.

Mystery solved then, because that sure looked more like a leadout than a sprint by Bala.

It looked like a lost sprint to me. :cool:

Climbing said:
Praying Mantis said:
Josh Homme said:

- Two.
- Third.
- ****.. had no idea.

smh.

It looked like a lost sprint to me. :cool:
Watch again. If you've watched Bala sprint, it was fairly obvious he wasn't sprinting all out today.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
You have to wonder who was the better domestique, Birdsong or Visconti? :D
WTF is Birdsong doing, protecting his precious top 10 spot? The guy should go to Trek, they would allow him to ride for an anonymous top 10 on gc while simultaneously holding hands with Mollema...

Really nicely designed stage, enjoyed the climbing especially on Matajur but the conclusion seemed a bit meh - big group of GC guys behind Nieve and Visconti was anticlimactic. Nice to see Mikel Nieve taking a victory, bringing back memories of that epic Gardecchia '11 stage.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Mayomaniac said:
WTF is Birdsong doing, protecting his precious top 10 spot? The guy should go to Trek, they would allow him to ride for an anonymous top 10 on gc while simultaneously holding hands with Mollema...
Until now Fuglsang was better of the two and surely more visible, he actually attacked seriously at least once and if not for defects he would be in front of Nibali. Nibali i totally invisible if one doesn't count his cameo attacks which aren't really an attacks and did no harm to anybody.
Also I don't get why are you mad at Fuglsang? Surely he did as DS told him.

Re: Re:

Kokoso said:
Mayomaniac said:
Until now Fuglsang was better of the two and surely more visible, he actually attacked seriously at least once and if not for defects he would be in front of Nibali. Nibali i totally invisible if one doesn't count his cameo attacks which aren't really an attacks and did no harm to anybody.
Sorry but Fugslang is 2:30 behind Nibali in GC. Until Sestola then yes, I agree that he shouldn't work for Nibali but now due to a poor TT and bad luck he is behind. That's cycling. I cannot see Nibali getting dropped. I cannot see him dropping anyone either, by thats not the point. Nibali is not gonna lose 2:30 to Fugslang any time soon, I don't think. Hence, Nibali should be out and out leader and Fugslang should work for Nibali.

Fugslang hasn't been more visible, no way. He made one attack in which he was clearly let go by the peloton. Nibali has followed all the moves by GC guys without fail and attacked on to Roccaroso (pretty crappy attack ngl), Asolo and forced the pace up Pian del Falco, in second wheel. Fugslang has done even less. Mind you, most other contenders have done less. Nibali's attacks may be pretty bad right now but he still twice got the group down considerably, even getting the group to four for a couple of seconds. After Nibali's first attack Fugslang just followed wheels but didn't work for a bit, before finally reaching the front. Having said that, he then worked for the rest. It was clear, however, that IMO he was pretty apprehensive. I don't blame him necessarily, but tomorrow he should be working all out for Nibali.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

Brullnux said:
Kokoso said:
Mayomaniac said:
Sorry but Fugslang is 2:30 behind Nibali in GC. Until Sestola then yes, I agree that he shouldn't work for Nibali but now due to a poor TT and bad luck he is behind. That's cycling. I cannot see Nibali getting dropped. I cannot see him dropping anyone either, by thats not the point. Nibali is not gonna lose 2:30 to Fugslang any time soon, I don't think. Hence, Nibali should be out and out leader and Fugslang should work for Nibali.

Fugslang hasn't been more visible, no way. He made one attack in which he was clearly let go by the peloton. Nibali has followed all the moves by GC guys without fail and attacked on to Roccaroso (pretty crappy attack ngl), Asolo and forced the pace up Pian del Falco, in second wheel. Fugslang has done even less. Mind you, most other contenders have done less. Nibali's attacks may be pretty bad right now but he still twice got the group down considerably, even getting the group to four for a couple of seconds. After Nibali's first attack Fugslang just followed wheels but didn't work for a bit, before finally reaching the front. Having said that, he then worked for the rest. It was clear, however, that IMO he was pretty apprehensive. I don't blame him necessarily, but tomorrow he should be working all out for Nibali.
We all know that Nibali will win this. I don't want to lower his credit but he's pretty unbearable. Holdint team car...and all. He strikes me as real piece of... I don't esteem Fuglsang especially high at the same time, but if I'm to choose...

Edit: Fuglsang lost halt a minute in TT, so he was behind Nibali but surely not poor time trial. Regarding visibility...I didn't notice Nibali's attacks shaving anobody of the groups. Just theatre.
" After Nibali's first attack Fuglsang just followed wheels but didn't work for a bit, before finally reaching the front" - what should Fuglsang do? Attack Nibali's attack? He may not have it all the time you wish, you know.

Anywy I agree that given circumstances Nibali is clear leader. Whar i don't understand is what you disagree with me about... :)

Kokoso said:
Brullnux said:
Kokoso said:
Mayomaniac said:

We all know that Nibali will win this. I don't want to lower his credit but he's pretty unbearable. Holdint team car...and all. He strikes me as real piece of... I don't esteem Fuglsang especially high at the same time, but if I'm to choose...

fo sho. I´d choose Fuglsang any day

Today was not a good day to attack if you want GC win. With couple of riders having similar strength, headwind on a flat and good descenders such as Nibali and Valverde in the group, it wold be a waste of energy. Only a rider who wants top 5 and has no higher ambitions could go to get rid of Zakarin, Amador, etc.

I am afraid it will be the same for tommorow. Just negative selection. Attacks will start after MTT, especially on Risoul because there is no descent there that Nibali/Valverde would recover on.

Today we saw that Nibali is the strongest. I would rate riders in terms of strength this way:
Nibali > Majka, Valverde > Chaves (although he could be bumped up)> Kruijswijk

Kokoso said:
Brullnux said:
Kokoso said:
Mayomaniac said:

Edit: Fuglsang lost halt a minute in TT, so he was behind Nibali but surely not poor time trial. Regarding visibility...I didn't notice Nibali's attacks shaving anobody of the groups. Just theatre.
" After Nibali's first attack Fuglsang just followed wheels but didn't work for a bit, before finally reaching the front" - what should Fuglsang do? Attack Nibali's attack? He may not have it all the time you wish, you know.

Anywy I agree that given circumstances Nibali is clear leader. Whar i don't understand is what you disagree with me about... :)

I misunderstood your post

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

Brullnux said:
Kokoso said:
Brullnux said:
Kokoso said:
Mayomaniac said:

I misunderstood your post
And I should do something with my english. Tomorrow I will, I promise.

TRENDING THREADS