• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 14: Farra d'Alpago–Corvara 210 km

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
This was a brutat stage

Kruijswijk potential Giro winner!
Chavito the new super climber
Nibbles down but not out yet
Bala is not going to make the top-5
Darwin with a hearthbreaking loss

GRANDE GIRO!!!

Re:

TheGreenMonkey said:
What a boring stage, LOL

Extremely entertaining. I could not have hoped for more, Kruijswijk, Chaves and Atapuma are among my favourite riders.

Kruijswijk and Chaves have just stepped up to be genuine GT contenders, Nibali will still be dangerous, but a new GT winner is looking to be favourite.
Surely Nibali will still be the pretty big favourite. He's got the best team, has proven excellent recovery in GTs and has just taken over two minutes on his biggest rival pre-stage.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Nice action. Astana is the only team capable to control the race, which will lead to amazing racing until the end of the Giro.
Chaves seems the strongest climber to me, I hope Bala recovers for tomorrow.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

More Strides than Rides said:
A lot of people are saying Nibali looked weak. I think he looked the same as when he won the Tour and Giro. One big attack, and soloing to the top. That's what he did today, but today there were better riders in the field, something he didn't have to deal with in the past.

You really think that had these versions of Chavez and Crushweak been at the Tour in 2014, they would have dropped Nibali?

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
TheGreenMonkey said:
What a boring stage, LOL

Extremely entertaining. I could not have hoped for more, Kruijswijk, Chaves and Atapuma are among my favourite riders.

Kruijswijk and Chaves have just stepped up to be genuine GT contenders, Nibali will still be dangerous, but a new GT winner is looking to be favourite.
Surely Nibali will still be the pretty big favourite. He's got the best team, has proven excellent recovery in GTs and has just taken over two minutes on his biggest rival pre-stage.

Open you eyes. There's a new big candidate for the win, and that's Kruijswijk.

For sure Nibs is still in with a chance. But the best climbers in the race are Kruijswijk and Chavito.

Re: Re:

SeriousSam said:
A lot of people are saying Nibali looked weak. I think he looked the same as when he won the Tour and Giro. One big attack, and soloing to the top. That's what he did today, but today there were better riders in the field, something he didn't have to deal with in the past.

You really think that had these versions of Chavez and Crushweak been at the Tour in 2014, they would have dropped Nibali?

Qué?

Re:

Not sure you can compare the stages he won in the Tour with today's stage. Today's had 2,000m more climbing than any of those; it was a war of attrition; no-one had enough left to put in a really killer attack - just enough to drop those who were on the absolute limit.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Why does nibali's team matter for kruiswijk? He still needs to drop him, unless he does it in the descents but he doesn't seem that amazing on it lately

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Re:

People really love to write off his GT wins. Come on. We've got the numbers from his Giro and Tour wins. He was exceptional in those years. Right now he's not anywhere near that level. If you can't see that then..well..good for you

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re:

i was thinking the same thing. I guess chaves and Kruswijk (especially) has learned the lesson from racing against Contador last year probably :). People say it was a good save by Nibali. In hindsight he got dropped in the second climb by about the same time he rolled in to the finish line. Considering Kruswijk and Chaves aren't necessarily a good as descender like Nibali, I would say.. that's not necessarily a good save by Nibali, IMHO.