• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 14: Farra d'Alpago–Corvara 210 km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re: 2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 14: Farra d'Alpago–Corvara 21

Gigs_98 said:
I doubt anything will happen. The giau is comparable to the cima porzus and the valparola is even flatter than the last climb today + the descent is easier so not such a good option to attack for riders like Nibali. Moreover there are still hardly any gc riders who really need time so everyone will wait for the MTT

In what parallel world is Porzus comparable to Giau?!!!

Mr.White said:
Gigs_98 said:
I doubt anything will happen. The giau is comparable to the cima porzus and the valparola is even flatter than the last climb today + the descent is easier so not such a good option to attack for riders like Nibali. Moreover there are still hardly any gc riders who really need time so everyone will wait for the MTT

It's a bit steeper and one kilometer longer, but there really isnt such a huge difference. I don't know why but Giau is just an extremely overrated pass. The way it will be used tomorrow it has clearly less than 1000 meters of elevation gain. I don't even know if it would be a HC climb if it would be raced in the tour.

Alexandre B. said:
Gigs_98 said:
That's exactly why there is hope for action in the Passo Giau. ;)
Valparola is also longer though, therefore I'm not sure if it will really be better for long range attacks as the climbs today

Gigs_98 said:

Yup...MTT is going to be a real buzzkill here. I was surprised by how much the break was controlled today, though the winner came out of it as expected. I don't quite expect the same level of control tomorrow. Expect a hard fight for the KOM like today for the most part.

Regarding GC...Well, it's definitely going to be fought on Giau if anything. Otherwise the final ramp after Valparola should see a last ditch attack for a handful of seconds. I gotta say my expectations are low for this one. Gardeccia it is not and there's nobody who is head and shoulders above the other contenders. It should really be Nibali vs. Valverde, but Bala's leaving il Squalo squarely in the driver's seat for the MTT.

Gigs_98 said:
Mr.White said:
Gigs_98 said:

It's a bit steeper and one kilometer longer, but there really isnt such a huge difference. I don't know why but Giau is just an extremely overrated pass. The way it will be used tomorrow it has clearly less than 1000 meters of elevation gain. I don't even know if it would be a HC climb if it would be raced in the tour.

Giau's top is at 2236m, Porzus is less than 1000m, the difference in altitude is big and the amount of kms the riders will spend tomorrow above 2000m will take its toll.

Re:

Pantani Attacks said:
Ricco to sprint up the first climb with bike in hand laughing at the peloton before mounting, attacking with hands hoisted in the air and winning the stage by 5mins.

...After blitzing past Vino (who attacked in the neutral zone because he's Vino), at 1k to the finish line. Kittel to finish the stage on Monday evening, revealing he's been riding this stage since the previous rest day.

Re:

Isaak-Gabriel said:
I fear that the level of GC contenders is too low to see risky attacks.

I have seen this posted several times already, but I don't agree at all. Surely the relative level of riders should be important and the absolute level? This race seems to me like there is no one who feels like they are better than the rest. But that is not linked in any way to their absolute level, so I don't see the point.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Gigs_98 said:
Mr.White said:
Gigs_98 said:

Alexandre B. said:
Gigs_98 said:
That's exactly why there is hope for action in the Passo Giau. ;)
Valparola is also longer though, therefore I'm not sure if it will really be better for long range attacks as the climbs today

It's 9.5% for freaking 10km's above 2000m, it's a beast of a climb! Not a HC climb :eek: It's steeper than any TDF climb! You'll see the difference tomorrow...

Gigs_98 said:
Mr.White said:
Gigs_98 said:

Giau would 100% be an HC climb if raced in the tour. Valparola would be a cat 1. Tour ratings are so much nicer than Giro ones. If a 13km climb at 8.1% is one the most famed HC climbs, then a 10km climb at 9.1% would also be.

It is not overrated as almost every time it's been included in an interesting positioned it has delivered. What do you want, a Zoncolan with stupid gradients in the middle it the stage. Giau is a fantastic climb. It nothing happens tomorrow on it then it is definitely not the fault of the pass, but rather the riders.

Re: Re:

togo95 said:
Isaak-Gabriel said:
I fear that the level of GC contenders is too low to see risky attacks.

I have seen this posted several times already, but I don't agree at all. Surely the relative level of riders should be important and the absolute level? This race seems to me like there is no one who feels like they are better than the rest. But that is not linked in any way to their absolute level, so I don't see the point.

Think about it this way: It's Leipheimer, Sastre, Sanchez, Evans, Valverde (well, he's old, it's what I'm saying), Frank Schleck and Jurgen van den Broeck with no Contador, Andy or Chicken. You can't really call it a weak field, but it's gonna be evenly matched. Evans takes it in the end. Likewise, calling it for Nibali. ;)

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site

Brullnux said:
Gigs_98 said:
Mr.White said:
Gigs_98 said:

Giau would 100% be an HC climb if raced in the tour. Valparola would be a cat 1. Tour ratings are so much nicer than Giro ones. If a 13km climb at 8.1% is one the most famed HC climbs, then a 10km climb at 9.1% would also be.

It is not overrated as almost every time it's been included in an interesting positioned it has delivered. What do you want, a Zoncolan with stupid gradients in the middle it the stage. Giau is a fantastic climb. It nothing happens tomorrow on it then it is definitely not the fault of the pass, but rather the riders.

Giau is a fantastic climb, but the part of it that will be used tomorrow(from ponte T. Codalonga to the top) isn't a HC in the Tour. A climb less than 10 km with an altitude gain of less than 1000m is never a HC in the Tour.

Ataraxus said:
Giau is a fantastic climb, but the part of it that will be used tomorrow(from ponte T. Codalonga to the top) isn't a HC in the Tour. A climb less than 10 km with an altitude gain of less than 1000m is never a HC in the Tour.

Pla d'Adet wants a word with you. ;)

MikeTichondrius said:
Ataraxus said:

But in that case its rather ridiculous that Pla d'Adet is actually a HC climb.
Btw, I would also rate Giau HC because I think steepness is usually a better indicator for difficulty than length but I just meant that a climb with less than 1000 meters altitude gain is at least not guaranteed to be HC.
About the altitude of the climb, yeah that surely matters and I have never ridden a bike on over 2000 meters so I can't say it for sure, but I just don't think it makes such a huge difference that Porzus and Giau aren't even compareable anymore (and that is what my original comment was about)

Edit: And please, I really didnt want to say that I dislike that pass. I only compared it with Porzus, a climb I which really like too btw, and then the discussion was only about the comparison and that I just think people talk about the Giau as if it would be as hard as the Zoncolan, which it definitely isn't.

Would be exciting if it was MTF. With this design I expect nothing other than Nibali attacking andaybe gaining some time on descent. The big winner here will be whoever is on Nibalis win over the top. If the pace is not ridiculously high, I expect that rider to be achaves. If the race is hard, it will be Majka

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site

MikeTichondrius said:
Ataraxus said:

Pla d'Adet is longer than 10km though. ;)

I've noticed that almost all HC climbs in the tour have more than 1000m altitude gain. The ones who don't are of more than 10 km and considerable steepness (above 8%)
I'm glad to be shown evidence when this statement doesn't hold though.

Folks here are blindly underestimating this stage

This is a TOUGH one! If someone of the GT contenders crack here, then better go for stage wins after that.

Bottom line: I foresee Nibali in pink. :)

I don't expect anything spectacular. If you want to do really effective attack it should be on Giau. Too far away from finish for guys which are within 1-2 minutes in GC to risk substantial effort with small chance for success.

I expect however negative selection. Maybe someone out of top contenders will attack (Pozzovivo, Uran) but I doubt as they might target top 5/ top 10 or anything like that.

TRENDING THREADS