• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 14: Farra d'Alpago–Corvara 210 km

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: 2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 14: Farra d'Alpago–Corvara 21

Gigs_98 said:
Mr.White said:
Gigs_98 said:
I doubt anything will happen. The giau is comparable to the cima porzus and the valparola is even flatter than the last climb today + the descent is easier so not such a good option to attack for riders like Nibali. Moreover there are still hardly any gc riders who really need time so everyone will wait for the MTT

In what parallel world is Porzus comparable to Giau?!!!
It's a bit steeper and one kilometer longer, but there really isnt such a huge difference. I don't know why but Giau is just an extremely overrated pass. The way it will be used tomorrow it has clearly less than 1000 meters of elevation gain. I don't even know if it would be a HC climb if it would be raced in the tour.

Alexandre B. said:
Gigs_98 said:
I doubt anything will happen. The giau is comparable to the cima porzus and the valparola is even flatter than the last climb today + the descent is easier so not such a good option to attack for riders like Nibali. Moreover there are still hardly any gc riders who really need time so everyone will wait for the MTT
That's exactly why there is hope for action in the Passo Giau. ;)
Valparola is also longer though, therefore I'm not sure if it will really be better for long range attacks as the climbs today

Arcalis is an HC climb in the Tour, whih is even worse than Pla d'Adet. The main body of that climb is like 10km at 7%. I do think the HC label is overrated though.

Re:

RattaKuningas said:
Haven't seen anything from Maijka yet. Is this the day when he will show us something? Or we will have to wait till the last mountain stages.
He said before the race that he was waiting for the 3rd week so I doubt he try's anything on this stage other than following wheels and not losing time, so far he's done everything right and is looking good for a podium

Re: 2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 14: Farra d'Alpago–Corvara 21

Red Rick said:
Gigs_98 said:
Mr.White said:
Gigs_98 said:

In what parallel world is Porzus comparable to Giau?!!!
It's a bit steeper and one kilometer longer, but there really isnt such a huge difference. I don't know why but Giau is just an extremely overrated pass. The way it will be used tomorrow it has clearly less than 1000 meters of elevation gain. I don't even know if it would be a HC climb if it would be raced in the tour.

Alexandre B. said:
Gigs_98 said:
That's exactly why there is hope for action in the Passo Giau. ;)
Valparola is also longer though, therefore I'm not sure if it will really be better for long range attacks as the climbs today

Arcalis is an HC climb in the Tour, whih is even worse than Pla d'Adet. The main body of that climb is like 10km at 7%. I do think the HC label is overrated though.
Also doesn't the HC title depend on where it is in the race, I remember seeing a climb in the Tour being rated HC and then in another Tour being rated a 1 because it came early in the stage.
I do tend to agree that the HC tag is overrated

It's hard to predict. On the one hand the final 40K aren't that tough, except for that little wall less than 5K before the finish. On the other hand the stage as a whole is extremely tough, so it might become a war of attrition. Some riders in the top ten might crack down, which would stimulate the strongest riders to pull through.

One thing I don't expect is Nibali dropping the others in the descent. Valverde will never let that happen. Someone like Zakarin might be dropped.

Nibali or Valverde might take pink. If there's a sprint for a second or third place I hope they'll warn Valverde that there are still boni.

Pla d'Adet gets over-categorized as HC because it's an MTF. Menté west is tougher and never gets HC because it never hosts an MTF.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if the Station de Ski Mourtis became a Vuelta MTF one time. Probably after Bonaigua, Portillón then about 20km flat from Luchon to make it a pure one-climber. They might even leave Portillón out.

Anyway, this stage: I'm primed for disappointment, with an MTT tomorrow. If there was a rest day following or this was the last mountain stage of a range with a transitional stage to follow it could be amazing, I just doubt it will be in this particular set of circumstances.

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Geraint Too Fast said:
Rovny to get his first pro win.
The thing about comedians is that they know when a joke is over. Stretching it to three weeks is a blatantly aggressive move to enrage the audience. Are you the Kaufman type?

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

Ryo Hazuki said:
Hugo Koblet said:
Amador will lose a lot of time today.
how would you know?

He's been dropped yesterday and he also kinda cracked in the last week of the previous giro. It's a fair statement.

What do you base yourself on that this won't happen?

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
also all the negativity here is ridiculous! almost all these climbs top around 200 metres altitude making this race VERY hard. this will be for riders well adapted to altitude like colombians.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Miburo said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
Hugo Koblet said:
how would you know?

He's been dropped yesterday and he also kinda cracked in the last week of the previous giro. It's a fair statement.

I'm not saying he won't crack. he cracked on a shorter climb yesterday. I remember last year every day people were saying amador would crack. especially the mortirollo stage because it was so steep and it turned out he was one of the best there

Some guys might've “rested“ so far like in the golden 90's and zeros. To say it in a way where Dan hopefully ain't too upset. We should take that into consideration given Aru's stage wins last year.

Anyway Ciccone & Pirazzi should try again today. Maybe Cunego saved himself a bit yesterday to go all in today? Should deliver at least a nice stage win if nothing happens between the favorites.

That said there's still desperate hope that either Kruijswijk does a Robo Basso cover act or Fuglsang and Astana go fully Cunego Falzes style. :D :eek: ;)

Ryo Hazuki said:
Miburo said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
Hugo Koblet said:
how would you know?

I'm not saying he won't crack. he cracked on a shorter climb yesterday. I remember last year every day people were saying amador would crack. especially the mortirollo stage because it was so steep and it turned out he was one of the best there

IIRC didn't Amador regain the places on the descent after losing out on the climb of the Mortirolo? I remember he lost close to 2 minutes on the climb itself to Landa, Contador and Kruijswijk and shed (much less) time to Hesjedal and Trofimov. He was quicker than Aru, though, but a sickly Aru. Although he didn't really crack, rather just wasn't as good.

TRENDING THREADS