• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 14: Farra d'Alpago–Corvara 210 km

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Jelantik said:
TourOfSardinia said:
Stage
GC
GC_zpsmnimv39w.jpg

too bad Chaves lost lots of time on ITT chianti. If not, he will give Nibali a run for his money. Right now he has a lot of work ahead of him.

Thank God Chavez lost a lot of time in the ITT. Now he is forced to attack from long range like today again in the coming week.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

DFA123 said:
Red Rick said:
DFA123 said:
Miburo said:
Why does nibali's team matter for kruiswijk? He still needs to drop him, unless he does it in the descents but he doesn't seem that amazing on it lately
Because it allows Nibali to control the tempo of the race on the climbs. When he's feeling good he can get his team to push really hard; when he's feeling bad he can tell them to hold back a bit. Kruijswijk can't take advantage of Nibali in the same way, because his team is too weak.

He basically needs to gain time by himself and limit his losses by himself. Of course that's a big factor.

As it stands now, Kruijswijk doesn't need to gain time
Yes, if he doesn't have a weak moment at all in the next week he can win. But that is pretty unlikely.

Having a strong team is not the only factor, but it is clearly a significant factor in Nibali's favour. This is beginning to look a bit like the Dumoulin situation again, with people writing off the team factor, experience, recovery etc... way too early.

Agreed. Nibali is still the favourite.

vincenzo nibali. lots of people love him and pray for him. these endless 'nibs to destroy / wreck / annihilate the field by soloing for 30km... wake up, lads. nibs hasn't showed anything spectacular in grand tours for almost 2 years...

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

SeriousSam said:
More Strides than Rides said:
A lot of people are saying Nibali looked weak. I think he looked the same as when he won the Tour and Giro. One big attack, and soloing to the top. That's what he did today, but today there were better riders in the field, something he didn't have to deal with in the past.

You really think that had these versions of Chavez and Crushweak been at the Tour in 2014, they would have dropped Nibali?

Well there better than the people he faced in 2014. Nibali is a good rider, totaly overrated as a GT rider though. Today is another good example of this. His attacks are WEAK.

Jelantik said:
TourOfSardinia said:

too bad Chaves lost lots of time on ITT chianti. If not, he will give Nibali a run for his money. Right now he has a lot of work ahead of him.
I think it's still pretty open for anyone from Zakarin upwards. The last week is so hard that any of the riders could lose really big time just having one off day. And only Nibali has anything resembling a strong team - the others will be pretty much alone.

Wouldn't be surprised if all of the top 7 lost 2-3 minutes on at least one stage to other contenders.

arvc40 said:
SeriousSam said:
A lot of people are saying Nibali looked weak. I think he looked the same as when he won the Tour and Giro. One big attack, and soloing to the top. That's what he did today, but today there were better riders in the field, something he didn't have to deal with in the past.

You really think that had these versions of Chavez and Crushweak been at the Tour in 2014, they would have dropped Nibali?

Well there better than the people he faced in 2014. Nibali is a good rider, totaly overrated as a GT rider though. Today is another good example of this. His attacks are WEAK.

Are weak atm. His attacks when he is in form are tremendous. Did he and Slongo do the usual acceleration training this year? Looks like he is missing that badly.

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site

SeriousSam said:
DFA123 said:
Red Rick said:
DFA123 said:
Miburo said:
Why does nibali's team matter for kruiswijk? He still needs to drop him, unless he does it in the descents but he doesn't seem that amazing on it lately
Because it allows Nibali to control the tempo of the race on the climbs. When he's feeling good he can get his team to push really hard; when he's feeling bad he can tell them to hold back a bit. Kruijswijk can't take advantage of Nibali in the same way, because his team is too weak.

He basically needs to gain time by himself and limit his losses by himself. Of course that's a big factor.

As it stands now, Kruijswijk doesn't need to gain time
Yes, if he doesn't have a weak moment at all in the next week he can win. But that is pretty unlikely.

Having a strong team is not the only factor, but it is clearly a significant factor in Nibali's favour. This is beginning to look a bit like the Dumoulin situation again, with people writing off the team factor, experience, recovery etc... way too early.

Agreed. Nibali is still the favourite.

Can you back this up with your graphs?

arvc40 said:
SeriousSam said:

Really? He's won 3 GTs and finished on the podium another four times.

I think most people rate him as the 4th best in the world - perhaps slightly higher when he's on really top form. Where do you think he should be rated if he is over-rated now?

May 15, 2016
Visit site

arvc40 said:
SeriousSam said:

I'm sure Valverde agrees

I love the way Chaves has raced this Giro. Always attentive and never waits for someone else to do the closing. I still say it was shortsighted of OGE not to have brought at least one of the Yates bros here for experience and to be there in the high mountains.

DFA123 said:
arvc40 said:
SeriousSam said:

Really? He's won 3 GTs and finished on the podium another four times.

I think most people rate him as the 4th best in the world - perhaps slightly higher when he's on really top form. Where do you think he should be rated if he is over-rated now?

Yeah it's not bad, I'd agree he's overrated in that he's certainly the weakest Giro+Vuelta+TDF club member, but he was in the right place at the right time (especially the 2010 Vuelta or the 2014 TDF).

TRENDING THREADS