• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 14: Farra d'Alpago–Corvara 210 km

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

46&twoWheels said:
Cance > TheRest said:
46&twoWheels said:
The time has come..we can officially declare Kruijswijk the greatest dutch GT rider since Mollema :D
I know you're joking, but in all seriousness, Mollema actually has a better GT palmares than that of Kruijswijk. While that is likely to change after this Giro, it still hasn't happened yet just because of one stage. If Kruijswijk somehow manages to finish as low as 4th in the race, then he will equalize Mollema's 4th place from the 2011 Vuelta.
Another thing is that Kruijswijk is a more exciting rider than Mollema, but that still doesn't change the facts

Of course
Kru has a lot to prove yet. Great stages like these are remembered more vividly than a good top 10 finishing,this is the only factor playing in Kru's favor (in terms of perception only)

I'm picturing dutch fans already cheating on Dumoulin :D
Grand Kru ages like a good wine :D

46&twoWheels said:
Cance > TheRest said:
46&twoWheels said:
The time has come..we can officially declare Kruijswijk the greatest dutch GT rider since Mollema :D
I know you're joking, but in all seriousness, Mollema actually has a better GT palmares than that of Kruijswijk. While that is likely to change after this Giro, it still hasn't happened yet just because of one stage. If Kruijswijk somehow manages to finish as low as 4th in the race, then he will equalize Mollema's 4th place from the 2011 Vuelta.
Another thing is that Kruijswijk is a more exciting rider than Mollema, but that still doesn't change the facts

Of course
Kru has a lot to prove yet. Great stages like these are remembered more vividly than a good top 10 finishing,this is the only factor playing in Kru's favor (in terms of perception only)

I'm picturing dutch fans already cheating on Dumoulin :D
Dumowho? Im gonna get myself a nice shiny coathanger avatar.

luckyboy said:
Red Rick said:
Jagartrott said:
Quite strange how Nibali didn't crack. He lost time on the ascent, but then that gap stayed stable although the two in front were sheltered half of the time. All the rest lost progressively more time on Chavez and K-man. Nibali doesn't seem his best, but he also doesn't seem all that weak.

Nibali lost the battle, but not the war today. Was a bit too enthousiastic after dropping Valverde I think. How technical are the descents of the Agnello and the Bonnette?

Have you seen the profiles? Agnello and Bonnette are 40km+. Both the Alps days will be everything for the final climb.
Its not far fetched to launch an attack on the top of Bonette and the descend, there is only 10 km false flat, maybe less, before Lombarde

luckyboy said:
Red Rick said:
Jagartrott said:
Quite strange how Nibali didn't crack. He lost time on the ascent, but then that gap stayed stable although the two in front were sheltered half of the time. All the rest lost progressively more time on Chavez and K-man. Nibali doesn't seem his best, but he also doesn't seem all that weak.

Nibali lost the battle, but not the war today. Was a bit too enthousiastic after dropping Valverde I think. How technical are the descents of the Agnello and the Bonnette?

Have you seen the profiles? Agnello and Bonnette are 40km+. Both the Alps days will be everything for the final climb.
not necessarily. if kruijswijk wins mtt tomorrow, nibali can easily send teammates up the road on agnello and then launch an attack on the descent.

luckyboy said:
Red Rick said:
Jagartrott said:

Well, the Lombarde is not the final climb :p

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

Netserk said:
Eshnar said:
In all this, what has Gigs been doing today? :D
Didn't he watch it from Valparola (in person)?
Nope, that was me. :D
I was there, shortly after the Cinque Torri ski station, Chaves and Kruijswijk had already dropped Nibali (to me he looked pretty composed, but his pokerface is pretty good).
What an awesome stage, a real war of attrition in the high mountains, something for the pure climbers.
One of the best stages that I've ever seen in person, only 2007 Tre Cime was on the same level.

Lucky you Mayo!

A lot of us expected action on Gaui and including myself thought that it wouldn't happen today as the last climb really wasn't that hard.
Then 1 attack and it completely explodes. Then you can see how hard a stage like this have been and the gaps at the finish were really big.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

bassano said:
it is pitty that more big names are not usually at giro, stages like that with complete field would be great
Big names can't be at both Giro and Tour. It's shame, but that's how it is. Every year they split between the two races. Moreover, big name isn't guarantee of great racing or great level.
Edit: Giro enjoys fair share of this 'big name lack" bashing, but as I see it, the big names can be those doing great at Giro, too. Look how great name Wiggo or Armstrong did at Giro. It's different race, which surely is harder for some. Thus those being great names at Tour doesn't have to be great names at Giro.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

bassano said:
it is pitty that more big names are not usually at giro, stages like that with complete field would be great

It would reduce the chaos and unpredictability if a strong team like Sky with a dominant climber like Froome controlled the *** out of the stage.

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Apparently Atapuma had a breakdown at the finish, he got off the bike and started crying for a few minutes. :(

Not surprised that was absolutely heart breaking. If you watch the finish again you can see the desperation on his face as he's trying to still contest the finish wile knowing his legs are going to betray him

SeriousSam said:
bassano said:

It would reduce the chaos and unpredictability if a strong team like Sky with a dominant climber like Froome controlled the **** out of the stage.
I personally don't think this stages are as controllable as the one in the Tour. The climbs are aren't as suited to diesel climbers. But yes it would probably be a bit less unpredictable.

Quite a few questions were answered today. It seems we have 3 real candidates. Nibali lost the battle against Kruijswijk and Chaves today in a rush to get rid of the Movistar riders. He limited his losses in the finale. Tomorrow will be an important pointer for the next week. Kruijswijk looks the strongest, but has a weaker team. A real war of attrition with GC candidates fighting with breakaway riders for the stage win and beautiful scenary. If only the Puma could have held on it would have been perfect (well, a solid 8.5 out of 10, anyway).

Great sprint by Preidler :rolleyes:

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Quite a fun stage today. Will be curious to see the MTT tomorrow as that should be telling with the favorites. A lot of opportunities for people to gain back time however. Hopefully stages 19 and 20 see some great action. Glad the MTT didn't mess up this stage, what a day.

I just saw the stage and I was broken hearted when I saw how Atapuma lost the stage. But at least it went to Chaves.

Chaves has looked so at ease all the Giro. It would be very interesting how he will go on the MTT. Chaves should play defensive until they arrive at high altitude again. His problem I think is that GreenEDGE is not as strong in the mountains.

Now the Jersey on the shoulders of Kruijswijk. It would be very interesting how his team defends the pink jersey. Team LottoNL - Jumbo does not look very strong in the mountains. Just like GreenEDGE.

Movistar. Where do I start? They should give them the dumba$$ award of team tactics this Giro. Visconti going on the attack hunting for stages. Why? I thought Valverde was a big favorite. Now I see that they should have brought a little more strength on the mountains. It looks like Valverde and Amador were not talking very much. Huh. The riders they have sent up the mountain have been useless literally. Betancur has been useless as well. And he looks chunky.

Nibali very composed. Limited the losses. Couldn't catch up because of a headwind according to him. He has his hands full now. His big advantage is his team.

About the stage, it was epic for me. As I said before it was very hard to screw up stage with a profile like that. Even when I was watching on TV I was about to “crack”. :D

Re: 2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 14: Farra d'Alpago–Corvara 21

First of all I watched the stage until the top of the Valparola, so although I didnt watch the whole stage I saw the most important part.

However WHAT THE GOD DAMN F*CK WAS PREIDLER DOING? WHY ARE THE AUSTRIANS ALWAYS DOING THIS? WHY CAN'T THEY JUST WIN. The tour of croatia mtf, which Zoidl won, was probably the only stage I have ever seen which an Austrian won and as I have already wrote it in this giro: They always screw it up. You could give them a ten minutes advantage and they would just stop riding at the one kilometer mark because they would think it's the finish line. It seems like they always come up with new ideas how to not win. This was a once in a lifetime, chance because although he is still young how many chances will Preidler have to win the freakin queen stage of the giro.

Nevertheless this was a great stage. I didnt expect anything big after the Giau wasnt that great but this finale was just outstanding and now we finally have the situation in the gc which will make the rest of the race interesting too. Kruijswijk doesnt have the team to defend his lead while Nibali has the team to completely destroy Steven in the remaining alps stages AND movistar is now in the perfect situation to go for long range attacks, with two good climbers who are already pretty far behind but still not so far behind that they will already give up. Let the two attack on the Col d'Vars on stage 20 and see the world burn :D

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: 2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 14: Farra d'Alpago–Corvara 21

Gigs_98 said:
First of all I watched the stage until the top of the Valparola, so although I didnt watch the whole stage I saw the most important part.

However WHAT THE GOD DAMN F*CK WAS PREIDLER DOING? WHY ARE THE AUSTRIANS ALWAYS DOING THIS? WHY CAN'T THEY JUST WIN. The tour of croatia mtf, which Zoidl won, was probably the only stage I have ever seen which an Austrian won and as I have already wrote it in this giro: They always screw it up. You could give them a ten minutes advantage and they would just stop riding at the one kilometer mark because they would think it's the finish line. It seems like they always come up with new ideas how to not win. This was a once in a lifetime, chance because although he is still young how many chances will Preidler have to win the freakin queen stage of the giro.

Nevertheless this was a great stage. I didnt expect anything big after the Giau wasnt that great but this finale was just outstanding and now we finally have the situation in the gc which will make the rest of the race interesting too. Kruijswijk doesnt have the team to defend his lead while Nibali has the team to completely destroy Steven in the remaining alps stages AND movistar is now in the perfect situation to go for long range attacks, with two good climbers who are already pretty far behind but still not so far behind that they will already give up. Let the two attack on the Col d'Vars on stage 20 and see the world burn :D
Preidler had a complete brainfart, lack of oxygen because of the high altitue? :D
The guy was the faster sprinter in that group and then he starts his sprint with 600m to go. :eek:
Yeah, the final week should be great, after a good first week the 2nd week was rather boring (from a gc standpoint) until today, but that was an awesome stage!

TRENDING THREADS