2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 7 Sulmona – Foligno 211 km

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win Stage 7?

  • Breakaway Rider

    Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Marcel Kittel

    Votes: 19 35.2%
  • Andre Greipel

    Votes: 14 25.9%
  • Giacomo Nizzolo

    Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Sacha Modolo

    Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Arnaud Demare

    Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Caleb Ewan

    Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Elia Viviani

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Moreno Hofland

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Vino)

    Votes: 4 7.4%

  • Total voters
    54
At least, Ewan got into a winning position in the last 200 metres which is an improvement on the previous stages - And at least he has been in the finish of each of the four sprinting stages - A big development from the Vuelta when he couldn't keep up with the peleton.
 
Re: Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
portugal11 said:
Kittel should go to track, he has the worst recovery and worst climbing skills of all time
Why should he do that? He's the best and currently most succesful sprinter in the peloton by a large margin. Oh and it wasn't his lack of climbing skills that lost him the victory today. The by far most likely outcome had he not had a puncture was him winning the sprint.
In your world perhaps. I still think Greipel would have won this. Kittel ought to have lost the last extra percentages after he had to struggle to minimize his losses on every climb today. Add to that, Greipel is only getting better in the sprints, and it is not "by far the most likely outcome" that Kittel would have won.
 
Jan 10, 2010
1,716
1
0
Greipel in pure Beast Mode once again.....great lead out for him.......Adam Hansen a complete Boss in the lead in to the final KM's
Nice win for the big man!

Great to see Fabian up at the pointy end of the race.....hope to see more of him in the coming days!
 
Re: Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
Brullnux said:
Mr.White said:
DNP-Old said:
Please don't ever mention Ewan and Gaviria in the same sentence again.
Why? Did Gaviria won something more significant than Ewan?
Yes.
In professional road cycling? Track world championships doesn't count
Gaviria has beaten sprintere like Sagan, Cavendish, Viviani, Modolo multiple times, he beat Greipel in a man on man sprint, he took his first WT victory just a couple of months after turning pro in Tirreno (where he beat Ewan). He has already showed top speed to place him amongst the 5 fastest sprinters in the world, Ewan never showed that kind of top speed.

He also showed endurance beyond his age when he was in a potential winning position in MSR with 800 metres to go. He showed great climbing for a sprinter several times and he showed he can handle the cobbles decently already even though they are very new to him.

He is in another league.
 
Re: Re:

Mr.White said:
Brullnux said:
Mr.White said:
DNP-Old said:
Please don't ever mention Ewan and Gaviria in the same sentence again.
Why? Did Gaviria won something more significant than Ewan?
Yes.
Name it!
Tirreno stage >>>> TDU stages.
San Luis against Cavendish (in his first pro race); San Luis against Viviani. Tour of Britain against Greipel. Sure, Ewan has a Vuelta stage but it was against Degenkolb and Sagan, who although quick, aren't exactly the bets sprinters in the world. It was also on the most perfect stage finish for him he could've hoped for. Gaviria has shown more in classics: he could've won MSR had it not been for that crash and came 6th in Gent-Wevelgem.
 
Jul 22, 2015
127
0
0
Re:

jens_attacks said:
lol at caleb with his hilarious aero position

peeps, he's something like 50 kilos or so. there is no way in hell he will beat in a flat, fair sprint a monster sprinter. not now, not ever. not enough watts.
He also doesn't seem to have the temperament required. Anyone else notice his huge swerve for no good reason right before the finish line? Could've caused some serious carnage.
 
Nov 16, 2011
426
0
0
Ewan needs several hundred added watts to be competitive at this level. Cavendish version 1.0 he is not, and never will be.
 
Re: Re:

PeterB said:
Red Rick said:
Yeah, I hadn't realized he's like Rujano size. 1.65 meters. Not gonna win too many high competition drag race type sprints
He is like Coquard who is even 3kg lighter than Ewan. So it's not absolutely necessary to be big.
Coquard climbs better though, but maybe isn't as quick. They have good punch, but don't generate enough speed to beat Kittel or Greipel in a flat out sprint.
 
Re: Re:

jahn said:
jens_attacks said:
lol at caleb with his hilarious aero position

peeps, he's something like 50 kilos or so. there is no way in hell he will beat in a flat, fair sprint a monster sprinter. not now, not ever. not enough watts.
He also doesn't seem to have the temperament required. Anyone else notice his huge swerve for no good reason right before the finish line? Could've caused some serious carnage.
He seemed to give up and pedal like a team pursuiter.
 
Re: Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
Hugo Koblet said:
portugal11 said:
Kittel should go to track, he has the worst recovery and worst climbing skills of all time
Why should he do that? He's the best and currently most succesful sprinter in the peloton by a large margin. Oh and it wasn't his lack of climbing skills that lost him the victory today. The by far most likely outcome had he not had a puncture was him winning the sprint.
In your world perhaps. I still think Greipel would have won this. Kittel ought to have lost the last extra percentages after he had to struggle to minimize his losses on every climb today. Add to that, Greipel is only getting better in the sprints, and it is not "by far the most likely outcome" that Kittel would have won.
Kittel winning a sprint is as close to a certainty as we get in cycling. Really, he's that superior. He's won 9 out of 10 sprints he's contested this year. That's outrageous.

That said, I do agree that Greipel would be closer to Kittel on a stage like today.

Anyway, it's all speculation and probably pointless to discuss any further.
 
Mar 13, 2015
2,637
0
0
Re: Re:

Brullnux said:
Mr.White said:
DNP-Old said:
Please don't ever mention Ewan and Gaviria in the same sentence again.
Why? Did Gaviria won something more significant than Ewan?
Yes.
So he won Tirreno stage, plus 3 San Luis stages, plus Tour of Britain stage. While Ewan won Vuelta stage, plus 2 TDU stages and some stages at minor races. I have to say I agree that Gaviria looks to have bigger potential (by some margin), but their results till now doesn't suggest that as some poster above said: "Ewan should not be mentioned in the same sentence as Gaviria". That's all
 
Re: Re:

Bushman said:
Cance > TheRest said:
Brullnux said:
Mr.White said:
DNP-Old said:
Please don't ever mention Ewan and Gaviria in the same sentence again.
Why? Did Gaviria won something more significant than Ewan?
Yes.
In professional road cycling? Track world championships doesn't count
Gaviria has beaten sprintere like Sagan, Cavendish, Viviani, Modolo multiple times, he beat Greipel in a man on man sprint, he took his first WT victory just a couple of months after turning pro in Tirreno (where he beat Ewan). He has already showed top speed to place him amongst the 5 fastest sprinters in the world, Ewan never showed that kind of top speed.

He also showed endurance beyond his age when he was in a potential winning position in MSR with 800 metres to go. He showed great climbing for a sprinter several times and he showed he can handle the cobbles decently already even though they are very new to him.

He is in another league.
Even if Gaviria has greater potential, it's still not an answer to the question, is it? So far Ewans results are still better and he has won a more significant victory with his Vuelta victory.

As for the potential MSR-outcome, had Gaviria not crashed . . I'm really wondering why Ewan get's such a hard bashing today, when it's Gaviria, who could not control his bike and ruined the race the race for other top favourites :rolleyes:
 
Ewan's tracking pretty well I reckon. Very high quality sprint field. He's in the mix, and beating some real established talent. That he doesn't have the raw horsepower of Kittel or Greipal: seriously, is that really a surprise??

I'm not sure I really see Gaviria blowing away in form GT Kittel's and Greipal's either. If he was here, you'd expect him to be in the mix, but not quite at the top. On a flat straight finale, I reckon he'd be a bit quicker than Ewan, but on a slight uphill, maybe the opposite.

Anyway, remember how often Greipal was getting smashed by Cav and then Kittel at the tdf.....until.....

Give the lads a chance to develop!
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY