• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 8 Foligno – Arezzo 186 km

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

TMP402 said:
trevim said:
TMP402 said:
I wonder if du Moulin wishes he'd kept on pretending he was only at the Giro for the TTing.
Why would he? There's no shame in getting dropped.

Because when he finally stops bull****ting and admits he's here for GC, he does about as bad a ride as any GC rider I've seen this season. If he'd kept up the pretence of being here for TTs, people wouldn't have cared that he got dropped like a stone, but this is now a humiliation.

Could we nominate this post for the dumbest post of the year?

Kwibus said:
TMP402 said:
trevim said:
TMP402 said:
I wonder if du Moulin wishes he'd kept on pretending he was only at the Giro for the TTing.

Because when he finally stops bull****ting and admits he's here for GC, he does about as bad a ride as any GC rider I've seen this season. If he'd kept up the pretence of being here for TTs, people wouldn't have cared that he got dropped like a stone, but this is now a humiliation.

to be honest I saw much worse posts :)
I also do not like dumoulin crap talks if is not caused only by media cyclist should be more concentrated on racing then on media but it is not their problem that media are anyoying

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Kwibus said:
TMP402 said:
trevim said:
TMP402 said:

Dumoulin maybe didn't came here to fight for MR, but after stage 6 he certainly thought that he could give it a try. And he did, but he failed. He didn't ride yesterday just out of respect, that's certain. He rode like that and hang for a dear life, because he had GC in mind. And maybe that was not the smartest thing to do, we shall see today...

Breh said:
Red Rick said:
Breh said:
carolina said:
PremierAndrew said:
If Dumoulin was not here to win the Giro, he would not try to chase back after being dropped and use up a ton of energy the day before the long TT, supposedly his main goal for the Giro

The leader always defends his jersey, even if it's a lost cause. It's a matter of showing respect for the maglia rosa.
Then why didn't they chase down the breakaway? Or why didnt he defend the pink in the Netherlands?

What the hell are you talking about?

Well this guy is saying Dumoulin is giving his all to defend the MR out of respect despite his GC and his main goal, the TT tomorrow.

If he had so much respect for the pink jersey, his team should have never given Brambilla so much time.
If he had so much respect for the pink jersey, he should've tried to grab some bonification seconds in the Netherlands to prevent Kittel from taking it.

Just pure ****** that Dumoulin was putting himself to the limit out of respect for the jersey.

Dumoulin obviously wanted to defend the jersey in his home country, his target at the start of the Giro was to get pink and keep it as long as he could.

As for the point of bonus seconds, how on earth could Dumoulin get those without Kittel? Intermediate's? No, Kittel and the other sprinters would of have gone for the seconds/points if on offer. Heck Kittel has teammates who could easily beat Dumoulin in a sprint. He wouldn't have been anywhere near the front 3 in the inter's, if anything Kittel could have got pink on stage 2 had he gained all bonuses on offer.

What other seconds on offer? The finish line? Would Dumoulin beat Kittel in a sprint? What about Greipel? Demare? Viviani? Nizzolo? Ewan? Modolo?

Brambilla is not a threat to the GC. Giant has a weak team, so there was no point on trying to catch him yesterday. He's going to lose the jersey today, so you can say that Dumoulin was just borrowing him the jersey.

It's the same with Kittel. How the hell was Dumoulin suppose to defend the jersey in the Netherlands? He wasn't going to contest a sprint with the other sprinters, that's just stupid.

Dumoulin limited his losses keeping in mind he would get the maglia rosa back.

I don't understand why you seem so surprised with my comment, it's very common for the leader to defend the jersey the best he can. Tony Martin, for instance, broke his collarbone while wearing the yellow jersey in the Tour, but insisted in finishing that stage. Michael Matthews also fougth the best he could to maintain the pink jersey, althougth it being pointless.

Mr.White said:
Kwibus said:
TMP402 said:
trevim said:
TMP402 said:

Dumoulin maybe didn't came here to fight for MR, but after stage 6 he certainly thought that he could give it a try. And he did, but he failed. He didn't ride yesterday just out of respect, that's certain. He rode like that and hang for a dear life, because he had GC in mind. And maybe that was not the smartest thing to do, we shall see today...

Sure nothing to disagree on, but all this talk about him talking BS is just stupid. If anything he has been honest from the moment he said he would ride the Giro.
TT's are his primary goal and when he has pink he won't give it away just like that, but he never prepared for the mountains so it was unlikely he would be able to ride a good GC.
Now during the race he got confident and felt really good so he said who knows what will happen, I will definately give the GC a shot. That's pretty much what he allready said before the race.

Where are the lies?

His primary target is the TT in Brasil. He has said that 1000 times by now.

Kwibus said:
TMP402 said:
trevim said:
TMP402 said:

I second that nomination

Were there any reports of (larger than expected numbers of) punctures on the sterrato after the idiotic tack-strewing incident (as in TdF Foux stage in 2014)?

If not, well done to the spectators photographed clearing up.

In Arezzo there were a number of people holding identical printed placards, that looked more like a protest than enthusiastic support of the race in general or any rider in particular. Anyone know what that was about, or whether that legitimate protest was taken to another level in the attempted race sabotage?

May 15, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Armchair cyclist said:
Were there any reports of (larger than expected numbers of) punctures on the sterrato after the idiotic tack-strewing incident (as in TdF Foux stage in 2014)?

If not, well done to the spectators photographed clearing up.

In Arezzo there were a number of people holding identical printed placards, that looked more like a protest than enthusiastic support of the race in general or any rider in particular. Anyone know what that was about, or whether that legitimate protest was taken to another level in the attempted race sabotage?

From what I've heared there shouldn't have been any puncture on the sterrato.

The protests were about the default of a local bank (Banca Etruia) and especially the subsequent decision of the government about who and how much to refund.