• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro Field Discussion

It's that time of the year again! I assume everbody understands the purpose of this thread. If you are new, go look all the previous ones! :p As always, I haven't followed much during the offseason, so I'll start with the most famous names.

Official pre-startlist
http://static2.giroditalia.it/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/elenco-iscritti.pdf

AG2R LA MONDIALE (FRA)
Pozzovivo
Peraud

ASTANA PRO TEAM (KAZ)
Nibali
Agnoli
Malacarne
Capecchi
Kangert
Kozhatayev
Scarponi
Zeits
Fuglsang

BARDIANI CSF (ITA)
Zardini
Colbrelli
Pirazzi
Bongiorno
Boem?

BMC RACING TEAM (USA)
Gilbert

CANNONDALE PRO CYCLING TEAM (USA)
Uran
Formolo
Dombrowski
Moser

DIMENSION DATA (RSA)
Fraile
Anton

ETIXX - QUICK STEP (BEL)
Kittel
Brambilla
Jungels

FDJ (FRA)
Geniez
Demare

GAZPROM-RUSVELO (RUS)
Firsanov
Ovechkin

IAM CYCLING (SUI)
Pelucchi

LAMPRE - MERIDA (ITA)
Modolo
Ulissi
Niemec
Conti

LOTTO SOUDAL (BEL)
Greipel
Hansen
Wellens

MOVISTAR TEAM (ESP)
Valverde
Amador
Visconti
Dowsett
Sutherland
Suetterlin
Pedrero
J. Moreno
Ruben Fernandez
Jo. Herrada
Rojas

NIPPO - VINI FANTINI (ITA)
Cunego

ORICA GREENEDGE (AUS)
Ewan
Chaves

SOUTHEAST - VENEZUELA (ITA)
Mareczko
Pozzato

TEAM GIANT - ALPECIN (GER)
Dumoulin

TEAM KATUSHA (RUS)
Zakarin
Taaramae

TEAM LOTTO NL - JUMBO (NED)
Kruijswijk
Battaglin
Campenaerts
Roglic

TEAM SKY (GBR)
Landa
Viviani
Kennaugh
Konig
Henao I
Henao II
Intxausti
Kiryenka
Boswell

TINKOFF (RUS)
Majka

TREK - SEGAFREDO (USA)
Hesjedal
Nizzolo
Cancellara

With these names already looks to me a solid field.
Let's start the discussion/speculation! :cool:

Uran ain't with Etixx anymore. He's gonna lead Garmin. Cunego for Nippo. Chaves intends to lead Orica. Demare will lead FDJ. Pozzo & Peraud for Ag2r. Anton for DD.

Kittel is supposed to be at the Giro for Etixx. Kennaugh will be there as Landa's lieutenant.

As well Mareczko gonna be there for Southeast, apparently with Pozzato as road captain.

Modolo like said above is Lampre's number one sprinter.

Kruiskwijk is Jumbo's sole leader.

That's what's more or less confirmed from my memory. Plus strong hints that guys like Greipel, Nizzolo, Ulissi, Brambilla might also race.

Gigs_98 said:
Valverde, Nibali and Landa in one giro is really good. Nibali stays my nr. 1 favorite because of the TT's but especially Landa could make this race extremely interesting. Lets hope he doesnt give a f*** about sky's team tactics :D

Yeah Nibz should be the favorite, but what's intriguing is all the other names apart from those 3 who also attends, could potentially see an Uran like in 2014 as well! Peraud, Pozzo, Tom D, Chaves, Hesjedal, Ilnur, Kruijswijk.. I know its miles afar from the Tour top-10 contenders, but Im expecting Chaves to be at this Vuelta level and Tom will probably wait and see how the whole situation develops

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sagan-targeting-victories-at-tour-de-san-luis-team-sky-reveals-giro-ditalia-squad-news-shorts/

Mikel Landa will lead Team Sky at the Giro d’Italia with the support of Leopold Konig, Sebastian and Sergio Henao, Beñat Intxausti and world time trial champion Vasili Kiryienka as he targets overall victory in the first Grand Tour of the 2016 season.

Team Sky confirmed that Chris Froome will stay with Team Sky until 2018 and revealed their major goals for 2016 during their annual media day in Mallorca. . Froome will lead Team Sky at the Tour de France, with Landa expected to lead the British squad at the Vuelta a Espana.

The USA’s Ian Boswell is set to ride the Giro d’Italia alongside Landa. It will be his second Grand Tour of his career after riding the Vuelta a Espana last year.
Also in the expected squad for the Giro d’Italia are experienced domestique Christian Knees, David Lopez, and Italian sprinter Elia Viviani, who won a stage and fought for the red sprinter’s jersey in the 2015 Giro d’Italia.

Landa finished third in the 2015 Giro d’Italia while riding for Astana. He was arguably the strongest climber in the race but his personal ambitious were sacrificed as team leader Fabio Aru tried to take on eventual winner Alberto Contador.

Gigs_98 said:
Valverde, Nibali and Landa in one giro is really good. Nibali stays my nr. 1 favorite because of the TT's but especially Landa could make this race extremely interesting. Lets hope he doesnt give a f*** about sky's team tactics :D

You mean those tactics that won 3 of the last 4 Tours :rolleyes:

I think Uran should be included in the favourites ....2nd twice (once riding for someone else and the other time with no mountain support while last year he was sick) and he can TT. And now he is with a team that can support him in the mountains ..He is one to watch imo... Just as good a chance as Landa who can't TT or Valverde who is not as good a TTer nor climber

Looking forward also to watching Dumoulin and to see if he can reproduce the performance of the Vuelta

So Kennaugh is back with Froome? Originally he was scheduled for the Giro. He even gave interviews about it. Nevertheless it looks like a strong team on paper. Although Kennaugh instead of Boswell probably would be an improvement.

Dombrowski might step up if Uran fails. He's still young enough to get back on track!

Zakarin might be the wildcard here. Andalucia's gonna give an impression about his status. If he's up there with Froome and Teejay he's gonna be the darkhorse for the Giro overall after Nibali and Landa!

Re: Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
Mayomaniac said:
Dombrowski will ride the Giro with Uran and Formolo, that's an awesome trio for the mountains.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sh-Icl4JJQ&feature=youtu.be&t=20m50s from 10:59 until 11:29.

Let's hope the younger pair are let off the leash rather than kept strictly by Uran's heel.

Sure ...Uran has a serious chance to win or at least podium so Vaughters will give them their head ... :rolleyes:

I am time and time again surprised and dismayed by the bias on here ...A 'new' rider comes along and they are the second coming . A tried and tested rider is given no kudos

Last year on here Konig & Majka were going to win everything ... :rolleyes:
This year there is no one to beat Landa ...
Talking about infatuation with the newest thing... :eek: Guess everyone needs to be on the bandwagon

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts