• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro Field Discussion

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

vedrafjord said:
They should do the Formula One thing and not have a number 1 jersey if the defending champion doesn't show up, the leader of last year's winning team (ie Majka this year) would wear 0 instead.

Should be an interesting race - Nibali vs Valverde vs Landa vs Majka vs Dumoulin, plus inevitable unforeseen riders who suddenly start climbing like gods in week 3...
Firsanov is not that unknown.

Re: Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
vedrafjord said:
They should do the Formula One thing and not have a number 1 jersey if the defending champion doesn't show up, the leader of last year's winning team (ie Majka this year) would wear 0 instead.

Should be an interesting race - Nibali vs Valverde vs Landa vs Majka vs Dumoulin, plus inevitable unforeseen riders who suddenly start climbing like gods in week 3...

And the likes of Uran, Zakarin, Chaves, Peraud or Pozzovivo as well. This year Giro has a better field than last year.
In terms of stage hunting we'll have the likes of Big Phil, Pozzato, Cancellara or Wellens(I'm not sure about him but I think I read somewhere that he's scheduled to ride). Also, I remember that Greipel said that he will ride it.

pink_jersey said:
Hugo Koblet said:
vedrafjord said:

And the likes of Uran, Zakarin, Chaves, Peraud or Pozzovivo as well. This year Giro has a better field than last year.
In terms of stage hunting we'll have the likes of Big Phil, Pozzato, Cancellara or Wellens(I'm not sure about him but I think I read somewhere that he's scheduled to ride). Also, I remember that Greipel said that he will ride it.
In the list Eshnar posted he is indeed scheduled.
And about the sprints, I'm extremely hyped for Caleb Ewan. I really really hope he can get a win. Some sprint stages have a slightly uphill finale which should definitely suit him. Just a pity that Etixx is riding with Kittel as a sprinter and not Gaviria. :D

Edit: And add Hesjedal to your list, he should at least be as good as riders like Pozzovivo.

Brullnux said:
yaco said:
SafeBet said:
I don't think he will need much support in the three stages he'll ride.

I counted about 8 stages sprinters can feature in this Giro - This is a more sprinter friendly Giro - Though Kittel suffers from any type of incline.

No it isn't. You've said this at least 3 times before, doesn't make it more true. :p

We will wait and see - Most of the top sprinters will be at the Giro - Maybe the teams hve got it wrong.

yaco said:
Brullnux said:
yaco said:
SafeBet said:
I don't think he will need much support in the three stages he'll ride.

I counted about 8 stages sprinters can feature in this Giro - This is a more sprinter friendly Giro - Though Kittel suffers from any type of incline.

No it isn't. You've said this at least 3 times before, doesn't make it more true. :p

We will wait and see - Most of the top sprinters will be at the Giro - Maybe the teams hve got it wrong.

There is more chance of getting to Turin, yes, but there are 7 likely sprints, max 8. 9 if all the stages are ridden craply. 7 is usual for the Giro; not including the usual one or two flat stages that end up going to the break.

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
Looking at the opening three stages in Holland of this year's Giro I've been wondering - Does anyone of you see Kittel do his uttermost at the 10k TT in order to be within striking distance (20 sec) for the following two sprint stages? Will be at least see him give it a go?

Re:

ingemann1996 said:
Looking at the opening three stages in Holland of this year's Giro I've been wondering - Does anyone of you see Kittel do his uttermost at the 10k TT in order to be within striking distance (20 sec) for the following two sprint stages? Will be at least see him give it a go?

He might do yes, 10k might be a bit too much for him to be within range though, but sprinters are good at short TT's.

Poursuivant said:
ingemann1996 said:

He might do yes, 10k might be a bit too much for him to be within range though, but sprinters are good at short TT's.

Especially such a decorated U23 and Junior ITTer like Kittel:

2x World Junior ITT Champ
1x European U23 ITT Champ
2x National U23 ITT champ
3rd and 4th in the World U23 ITT.

Giant Alpecin
Nikias Arndt (GER)
Bert De Backer (BEL)
Tom Dumoulin (NED)
Chad Haga (USA)
Cheng Ji (CHN)
Tobias Ludvigsson (SWE)
Georg Preidler (AUT)
Tom Stamsnijder (NED)
Albert Timmer (NED)

Their aim is winning stages. Dumoulin for the TT's, Arndt for the sprints (although he won't have much changes to win if you look at the field), Haga, Ludvigson and Preidler can do what they want at the hilly stages.

This clearly shows Dumoulin won't target the GC looking at the team they field.

TRENDING THREADS