• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 GP Cyclistes: Québec et Montréal, Sep. 9 and 11

zjVSKB7.png

It's time for la Québécoise et la Montréalaise! Although young, they quickly stole the hearts of cycling fans all over the world, in what was UCI's most fruitful attempt to carry the very best of the sport outside the old continent. Cycling's no stranger to Canada, though, and perhaps that's the explanation behind the success of both races. We can go back as far as 1974 to when Merckx won Rainbow and the Triple Crown in front of 150.000 Montrealers. We may not remember, we may have not seen it, but a Québécois does not forget: ''Je me souviens''.

Last year we saw the race in La Vieille Capitale return to its original route after having been changed the year before due to roadworks, what caused it to lose much of its total elevation and, consequently, a rather dull race where attackers stood little chance. That said, the Grand Prix of Quebec is usually won in the final kilometers, be it on the Montée de la Fabrique or the hellish drag up the Grand Allée. The difference betwen one parcours and the other was also the difference between certain riders being in contention or not, come the end. In Simon Gerrans' defence, he won rather convincingly on the 'hard route', in 2012, and would have been there to fight it out two years ago regardless. It's always been more of a race for the fast guys than Montréal, where, if decent climbers race it properly, others will have a tough time. Unless you're Peter Sagan...

...Or Tim Wellens under heavy rain, snow, sub-zero temperatures.... Okay, okay, not sub-zero temperatures, and Wellens is indeed a good climber, but his win last year was amazing any way you look at it.

STARTLIT | SITE | BROADCASTERS | TWITTER | #GPCQM

Québec: 202kms - Côte de la Montagne, 375m @ 10%; Côte de la Potasse, 420m @ 9%; Montée de la Fabrique, 190m @ 7%; Montée du Fort - Grand Alée (finish), 1km @ 4%.
FsjFZz6.png

Montréal: 206kms - Côte de Camillien-Houde, 1,8km @ 8%; Côte de la Polytechnique, 780m @ 6%; Avenue du Parc (finish), 560m @ 4%.
GsH81z6.png

Normally my pen is always thrilling when I write about French Canada. I've even contemplated migrating but it couldn't work though it's still at the back of mind. A great people, the Acadians of New Brunswick are one of the greatest people I've ever met. Hopefully I'm still on the OP's ignore list, don't want him to read.

The Côte (David? :D) Gilmour that the riders of the Quebec GP are climbing ... down, I think was in 1759 the path by which the British troops of James Wolfe climbed up from L'Anse aux Foulons to the Plains of Abraham where the brits defeated the French troops of Louis-Joseph de Montcalm on September 13 1759.

The "Grande Allée" where the finish is set is the way to the "Buttes-à-Neveu", the spot on the Quebec Promontery where Moncalm positioned his troops prior to the battle. He had the disadvantage of number but the advantage of the topography, all he needed to do was waiting for supporting troops and waiting for Wolfe to climb up but instead he rushed his men down in chaos.

The other way to the Plains of Abraham is the "Chemin de Sainte-Foy" which gave its name to the last battle of the French & Indian War and the last French win in 1760 but without support from the Navy they could not take Quebec back

The Battle of the Plains of Abraham tolled the bell of the whole "Nouvelle-France", which along with Louisiana encircled the 13 British colonies. In the 1960's there was an amateur "Tour de la Nouvelle-France" which covered both Quebec and Acadia in New Brunswick. It was the longest ever stage race, longer than the 2 GT's of the time and longer than the Peace Race.In the 1970's the Tour of the New France was opened to the pros and Superprestige, if I'm not mistaken. Guido Reybrouck and Roger De Vlaeminck won stages. But it was much shorter.

What should be remembered of the French Canadian culture is that they had always sought to live peacefully with the Amerindians/First Nations whatever you call them. They had no design on their lands, First Nations still enjoyed full sovereignty on their lands. They traded with them and if they wanted to live with them they could justmarried into the tribes and they were welcome. The Brits however were notorious colonists who did not wish the sun to set on their Empire. So said Charles Dawes an old Ottawa on Kevin Costner's show "500 Nations".

The Battle of Quebec by Wolfe in 1759 was brutal. Wolfe ordered the burning of all farms downriver of Quebec. Major George Scott burnt 998 farms on a span of 52 miles downriver of Quebec in September 1759. Also from July 6 to September 2 the British shot 4418 bombshells, 283 carcasses (incendiary bombs) and 13,089 cannonballs over a city of 10,000 inhabitants.

If, by accident in the River, by the Enemy’s resistance, by sickness, or slaughter in the Army,
or, from any other cause, we find, that Quebec is not likely to fall into our hands (persevering
however to the last moment) I propose to set the Town on fire with Shells, to destroy the Harvest, Houses, & Cattles, both above and below, to send off as many Canadians as possible to Europe, & to leave famine and desolation behind me

said Wolfe before landing around Quebec

Re:

Flamin said:
Greg and Sagan already confirmed to race, great.

I think Québec in particular will benefit a lot by having those two. They were more than 'confirmed' though.

Anyway, chance of showers there. With a bit of luck we're in for the most selective GPoQ ever. Sun for Montréal.

Re:

carolina said:
So, is Rui Costa finally going to win an actual race this year or just the race for the most top-10s without a win?!

Can't look at the stats as I'm on my phone but would bet the farm he's the most consistent rider in these races when it comes to podiums and top tens. I hope he wins again this year.

Monster startlist by Tinkoff. Kreuziger, Majka, Valgren and Sagan in hilly one day races can cause mayhem. Questionable is how good is their form. At least Sagan could be in bad shape because of his MTB preparation and sickness during Plouyay.

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
My uncle sees things. Sagan is going to win both, SOLO.

Tinkoff finally with a strong team will control the race and chase when needed, so Monster Petz will unleash hell and going flatout and GVA will lose Sagz wheel despite never taking a turn.

Re:

Laplaz said:
Surprised not to see Jungels... what is he doing in the last time? Not raced much...

Focusing on the time trial, according to an interview to a newspaper from Luxembourg that I saw on Twitter.

He will do the ITT of the European Championships followed by Eneco Tour and then the ITT of the World Championships, all big objectives for him.