• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 La Vuelta a Espana, Stage 1: : Ourense termal. B. de La

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Mayomaniac said:
PremierAndrew said:
Mayomaniac said:
Kennaugh suddenly becoming a gt contender durning the Vuelta would probably make the forum crash. :D
Seriously, the guy's just a huge ***, by far the most unlikeable rider on Team Sky.

Ironically, he's shown much more talent than Froome and Wiggins combined at his age :lol:
Can't argue with that, but in his chase the main reason would be his personality.
Yeah, the guy was seen as a future gt contender, just look at the results that he got as an U23 rider, while also being a great track cyclist, he's probably the one british rider at Sky that everyone expected to become a great climber.

Yeah, especially after his performances in the 2013 Tour, which were very promising.
And yep, he's definitely a massive douche

Re:

staubsauger said:
Yeah. Rovny has become decent tbh. Of course he's just in the team for being pals with Tinkov. But somehow he still managed to become a useful waterboy. Of course he's no Andrey Zeits, But there ain't nothing wrong with him being selected. Hernandez on the other hand .... and what the heck happened with Paulinho ... He's gone worse than Yaroslav Popovych when he became a donkey. And I ain't got no intention to build up forbidden relations here because actually I believe even that ain't no pleasant answer for this kind of decrease! Is he even training properly anymore !?
To be fair if on a good day Jesus is quite a decent climber, 17th and 13th on Lagos de Somiedo and Ancares in 2014, 9th on Semnoz in 2013. Trofimov and Kiserlovski would normally be better of course but they seem horribly out of shape.

Billie said:
LaFlorecita said:
Billie said:
He is. Not surprising you think he is though :eek:
Why is he a bad DS, because you say so?

He's in way too deep with Contador. Only thinks about Contador not about bigger picture.
Well yes I'd hope he only thinks about Contador, he's Contador's personal coach and they're at the Vuelta to win the race with him. I'd think he knows exactly what's best to maximize Alberto's chances, they've spent 300 days a year together since 2013.

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
Re:

luckyboy said:
He had a reputation as a jerk even before the Pooley comments.

He was right with his comments to Pooley.

Very few people give a damn about woman's cycling and woman's sport in general, it simply isn't the best/highest quality, men do it better, people don't want to watch an inferior product when they can watch the best.

Woman's Tennis and Athletics are the only sports that have any sort of appeal to the masses, apart from that there's nothing, has anyone ever tried sitting through 90 minutes of woman's football?... My god I wouldn't wish it on anyone, you see better quality down the local park on a Sunday morning.

LaFlorecita said:
Billie said:
LaFlorecita said:
Billie said:
He is. Not surprising you think he is though :eek:
Why is he a bad DS, because you say so?

He's in way too deep with Contador. Only thinks about Contador not about bigger picture.
Well yes I'd hope he only thinks about Contador, he's Contador's personal coach and they're at the Vuelta to win the race with him. I'd think he knows exactly what's best to maximize Alberto's chances, they've spent 300 days a year together since 2013.
In fairness a personal coach shouldn't be ds. Same with Slongo and Astana, although it's more a ds in name rather than the main one. Martinelli or Sheffer usually have that covered. A personal coach will have too much bias for objectiveness and impartiality.

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site

Mayomaniac said:
luckyboy said:
He had a reputation as a jerk even before the Pooley comments.
He told Rasmussen to watch his mouth durning the 2015 TdF (Rasmussen had said on TV that he was really surprised to see a track guy like Geraint climbing at that level)

So someone was insinuating you know what and he told them to shut it, that makes him disliked?... whoever dislikes him because of that must be a right sad git.

What_What said:
Miburo said:
Kennaugh is a douche. People dont like douches, thats why

He may well be a *** but he's right about what he said to Pooley, his only sin there was not being politically correct, good on him for that.
There's a difference with being not PC and rude. Kennaugh is just rude. I personally wouldn't like to be his friend if that is truly how he is and not just a public persona.

Damn, I thought for a second my Bala would take the jersey....!

Hopefully he will be hungry (and good) at Mirador and grab it. He has deceived me before with good flat ITT's and poor climbing legs tho.

And Tinkoff :eek: what a team. Ccan''t wait to see in what shape Alberto will be in, he should be super motivated and ready, but 50 seconds is already a decent(ish) amount of time down in this day and age.

Re:

fungusbear said:
Even though I like Contador him losing 50 seconds could be a huge blessing for the excitement of the race

Indeed, its definitely good for the race to get some decent time gaps in the early parts of the race, especially Contador. I don't necessarily think he will play the first week any different and if he is the strongest in the race, he will most likely win anyways, but it could provoke some earlier action. Especially now that Sky doesn't have a team to control the race uphill

PremierAndrew said:
Mayomaniac said:
PremierAndrew said:
Mayomaniac said:
Kennaugh suddenly becoming a gt contender durning the Vuelta would probably make the forum crash. :D
Seriously, the guy's just a huge ***, by far the most unlikeable rider on Team Sky.

Ironically, he's shown much more talent than Froome and Wiggins combined at his age :lol:
Can't argue with that, but in his chase the main reason would be his personality.
Yeah, the guy was seen as a future gt contender, just look at the results that he got as an U23 rider, while also being a great track cyclist, he's probably the one british rider at Sky that everyone expected to become a great climber.

Yeah, especially after his performances in the 2013 Tour, which were very promising.
And yep, he's definitely a massive douche

Since 2013 Tour he hasn't really been able to string much form together because of constant injuries. He seems to DNF about half the races he's entered in the last three or four seasons. The last couple of years, the pattern is that he gets injured, gets about 50th in his comeback stage race, then the next stage race gets in the top 10. Then gets injured again.

So at the moment, his cycle is: gets injured at the Tour of California. Makes a comeback at Pologne - 51st overall (on a race that should suit him and he has top 10'd before). Then 45th in San Sebastián. Then gets good again in Burgos, with 5th overall.

Therefore I guess he will DNF the Vuelta, make a comeback at some late season Italian races, then a top 10 in the Tour Down Under, get injured and then come back at Paris-Nice, a top 10 at Catalunya and so on.

Re:

Moviefan1203 said:
Just curious, but what makes Kennaugh such a jerk?

Google his tweets to Nicole Cooke on the gender inequality in British Cycling. Google his fight with Shaw in the Herald Sun Tour earlier this year. He comes across as confrontational and egoistic to me at least. Fwiw, I'm sure there are others who are like that away from the public eye who may come across well in interviews, and there are surely bigger jerks than Kennaugh in the peloton which we just don't know about, but yea, he's most likely one himself

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site

Kwibus said:
Poursuivant said:
I know Tinkoff team is weak but 52" is a huge margin to lose in a TTT

Meh it's pretty normal imo. Specialy if your squad is a lot weaker than the best teams.
When I first watched cycling, Lance would put that much time on Ulrich on any MTF. Nowadays it's a sizable difference.

TRENDING THREADS