• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 TdF, Stage 1: Mont-Saint-Michel → Utah Beach (188km)

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re: 2016 TdF, Stage 1: Mont-Saint-Michel → Utah Beach (188km

Zinoviev Letter said:
BigMac said:
Oliwright said:
del1962 said:
Oliwright said:
Biggest win of Cav's career!

No WC and MSR where bigger

Yellow Jersey is bigger than MSR for Cav, it's also come after so much doubt and so much pressure!

I don't think even the biggest of Tour fanatics would trade a MSR win for a day in yellow...

Maybe the most 'impressive' win, not the greatest.

Yes exactly. MSR is the most important single win on Cavendish's palmares. Wearing yellow for 24 hours is a nice day out.

WC RR.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Time gaps still not neutralized.......
Would be shocking if they didn't do it, not least because it appears that Pinot finished quite some way back. :)

Seriously though, that kind of crash is exactly why the 3km rule exists. I'm sure they'll sort it - probably just looking to see if gaps had formed already before the crash. If they ignore it here then it will just create more carnage later in the race with all the GC guys fighting to be at the front even more than they do now.

Mr.White said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
Yes exactly. MSR is the most important single win on Cavendish's palmares. Wearing yellow for 24 hours is a nice day out.

WC RR.
MSR > København Worlds. Yes, he got to wear a nice jersey for a year, but that race was one derny away from being a 7 hour keirin. He showed far more as a rider in winning MSR.

Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
LaFlorecita said:
Would be shocking if they didn't do it, not least because it appears that Pinot finished quite some way back. :)

Seriously though, that kind of crash is exactly why the 3km rule exists. I'm sure they'll sort it - probably just looking to see if gaps had formed already before the crash. If they ignore it here then it will just create more carnage later in the race with all the GC guys fighting to be at the front even more than they do now.
Before the race, the organizers even said the race jury would be more lenient with applying 3km rule. So would be very strange if they kept the gaps.

Zinoviev Letter said:
Mr.White said:

I don't rank the WCRR as bigger than Monuments, but I accept that you can make a rational case for doing so. You can't make a serious case for ranking a solitary Tour stage above either.
VMT. Especially not a dead flat stage, where the two main sprinters got badly hampered by awful leadouts. An impressive win in terms of positiong, but nowhere near Cav's best in the Tour de France, let alone in MSR/WC.

TMP402 said:
Alexandre B. said:
TMP402 said:
I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but are there time bonuses this year?
10" - 6" - 4" on each stage that isn't a TT.

Thanks - although I dislike the answer. I'm a fan of the TDF not having bonuses.

Fwiw, no time bonuses on intermediate sprints any more

Jungle Cycle said:
Alexandre B. said:
TMP402 said:
I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but are there time bonuses this year?
10" - 6" - 4" on each stage that isn't a TT.

even mountain finish?

Yes, every stage apart from ITTs and TTTs

LaFlorecita said:
DFA123 said:
LaFlorecita said:

Before the race, the organizers even said the race jury would be more lenient with applying 3km rule. So would be very strange if they kept the gaps.

Chill. It will be neutralised when they post the final results.

Offering bonuses on some stages and not on others would be ridiculous. It has to be all or nothing. And while people can point out the lack of fairness (Alberto and Levi would be on equal time in the 2008 Vuelta without time bonuses, Cobo won the 2011 Vuelta on them) at least they were equally distributed, not like the 2015 Tour of California where Alaphilippe did not have time bonuses available to him while Sagan did, which settled the GC in the latter's favour in the intermediates and finish line sprint on the last day.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Libertine Seguros said:
Mr.White said:
Zinoviev Letter said:

WC RR.
MSR > København Worlds. Yes, he got to wear a nice jersey for a year, but that race was one derny away from being a 7 hour keirin. He showed far more as a rider in winning MSR.

I agree on your view of that particular race, but I must say that a WCRR stands higher than any monument in my personal opinion. Although that MSR win was far more impressive!

Oliwright said:
Oliwright said:
del1962 said:
Oliwright said:
Biggest win of Cav's career!

No WC and MSR where bigger

Yellow Jersey is bigger than MSR for Cav, it's also come after so much doubt and so much pressure!

WC i bigger normally, but in terms of exposure and when u consider timing, this is bigger imo.

No offense, but your a typical July cycling fan if you believe this.

time bonuses

There's a lot of discussion every year about the best way to handle it: bonuses or not, flat stages only or all, maybe different bonuses per stage, and really the answer is it's a game and the rules are what they are and whatever the rules are the winner is the one who was best at that game. So I'm good either with or without them. For many years the Tour was all points. It was all about finding the formula which made the most exciting and interesting race.

The philosophy on time bonuses is that they encourage a certain type of behavior which is considered beneficial to the race. The mountain time bonuses were inspired by the gifting of mountain stages by GC favorites back in the 1990's: "work with me and I won't contest the finish". And for flat stages it's to increase the stakes of the early finishes.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Irondan said:
Those barriers!!! Yikes!

I thought they were supposed to have their legs turned in after a bad wreck at the Vuelta a couple years ago?
Yeah, it's joke, you'd think that they'd have those barriers at the Tour, but nope, let's have a crashfest...

This crash is exactly what the 3km rule is for and if this doesn't get neutralized, they say they don't give a crap about the rules, in which case, the fight for positioning will be even crazier over the next stages.

They'd basically be saying that they like crashes

Re:

I just saw the overhead shot on youtube and wow; Cavendish nailed it. He got the margin and Kittel and the margin kept growing. It really wasn't close. Hard to believe this is the first time Cavendish has beaten him.

If you check the final km videos on Steephill.tv, there's one from NBC Sports and one from British Eurosport and one from Française 2 (or whichever channel it is). The French and British announcers are going nuts while Phil Liggett sounds as if it's nappy time. If I'd been tempted to pay for the NBC Sports feed ($$$), I think I'd have rethought that now.

TRENDING THREADS