• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 TdF, Stage 12: Montpellier → Mont Ventoux (178km)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: 2016 TdF, Stage 12: Montpellier → Mont Ventoux (184km)

Instead of it being completely halted at Challet Reynard, you take GC then. But the stage win carries on to the top! Then it goes into a survival state, you make time bonuses at the top of Ventoux 90 Seconds, 60 seconds and 30 seconds! So the GC guys have to decide to they risk it or not.

Re: Re:

PremierAndrew said:
saganftw said:
this is shaping up to be the most dissapointing stage in 2016 if they shorten it

It's still 9.7km at 9.1% if it gets shortened to Chalet Reynard, which is hardly an easy summit finish, and just shy of HC cateogrisation

what does it matter? the stage is pan flat...by the time landa,nieve,henao,thomas,poels drop from the front,it will be 250m to the finish :lol:

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

Isaak-Gabriel said:
CheckMyPecs said:
That would be good for Quintana.
Not sure, less km in uphill is a disadvantage for Quintana if we consider his level now, like the hypothetical removal of the col de la Ramaz on stage 20.

But less km uphill with a terrible wind is in his advantage

Carols said:
fantomas said:
ASO has confirmed they might cut the stage and move the finishing line to either Chalet Reynard or all the way to the bottom. Bursts of wind up to 100 km/h. They'll decide today or at the latest tomorrow morning at 4 am.

Source: Dennis Ritter from Danish TV2 just talked to some guy form ASO.

:( Hopefully the weather forecasts are incorrect, they often are!

Unfortunately forecast are always correct when you hope that they are not.

RedheadDane said:
Enrico Gimondi said:
This may be a dumb question, but have they thought about climbing from the other side? I believe there is significantly less wind on that side of the mountain.

Isn't there only one road?
There are actually 3 sides :D
In the past the Ventoux was even used as a pass in the tour, but in the last few years they only used one side and always as a mtf. The advantage of one of the other two sides is that it starts basically at the same place so the rest of the stage would be the same. Moreover the climb is basically as hard as the one from the famous side and it's longer in the wood so wind probably isn't such a big problem.

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site

TomLPC said:
Enrico Gimondi said:
This may be a dumb question, but have they thought about climbing from the other side? I believe there is significantly less wind on that side of the mountain.

What does the other side look like? The only image I have of it is Eros poli going down it at about 500k an hour

I will have to do some research and see if I can find a better photo. But there is one from the top showing two sides. Which is why I was wondering if it was possible to just move the race to another side. If anyone else has photos of another side, feel free to post!

wpid-wp-1440454286130.jpg

Gigs_98 said:
RedheadDane said:
Enrico Gimondi said:

In the past the Ventoux was even used as a pass in the tour, but in the last few years they only used one side and always as a mtf. The advantage of one of the other two sides is that it starts basically at the same place so the rest of the stage would be the same. Moreover the climb is basically as hard as the one from the famous side and it's longer in the wood so wind probably isn't such a big problem.

The climb from Malaucene is the other starting point from the Bedoin side and it's 21.4k's @7.2%, it would still suffer from issues with the wind so I doubt ASO would climb it from here but I am not that familiar with it so I could be wrong.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site

Gigs_98 said:
RedheadDane said:
Enrico Gimondi said:

And Paris-Nice.

TRENDING THREADS