• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 TdF, Stage 12: Montpellier → Mont Ventoux (178km)

Page 61 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Ruby United said:
Pricey_sky said:
Correct decision, had any rider been in Froomes position I'd have said exactly the same thing. It's unfair on some perhaps but they simply could not let that shambles stand.

Agreed; I'm British and support Froome but if that had been Quintana and time had stood I would have been mad

I don't think it's the "correct" decision as such. But it's the only decision.

While it's far from perfect, anything else would've turned this TDF into a farce.

I also wonder if they pulled in the main players of this tour. The best solution would be if they had, and they agreed on this.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Re:

The Hitch said:
In 2011 stage 1 Contador's group got taken out by a spectator on a flat stage. He lost 1.20 and without that loss he would have been on the podium.

Why should spectators taking out riders suddenly be neutralised if its never been before?

Because times change??? 2011... different juries, different opinions.

And essentially, Tour PR. Tour would be mockery across the world and media if they let that stand like that.

Re:

The Hitch said:
In 2011 stage 1 Contador's group got taken out by a spectator on a flat stage. He lost 1.20 and without that loss he would have been on the podium.

Why should spectators taking out riders suddenly be neutralised if its never been before?

There always precedents, anyway it will give you lots to talk about ;)

Re:

Buffalo Soldier said:
How was the time measured? At 1k I mean, gps? Guesses?
It just seems a bit artificial really. Either ignore the results of this stage altogether on the GC, keeping it the same as it was this morning, or stick with the result as it stands. You can't pick and choose a time gap based on an arbitary point in the race - especially as riders will have paced themselves differently on the climb, so gaps inevitably would have changed.

TMP402 said:
Ramira said:
New times

Froome
Yates 47"
Mollema 56"
Quintana 1' 01''
Bardet 1'15"

Seems they took 1km to go.

Valverde 1.39
TJVG 1.44
Aru 1.54
D Martin 1.56
J-Rod 2.11

Martin the big loser?

Yes and no.

He lost quite a bit of time today. But he was performing well above what he's shown in the past. I don't think he can be that disappointed. I mean last year he finished 39th.

Ruby United said:
Pricey_sky said:
Correct decision, had any rider been in Froomes position I'd have said exactly the same thing. It's unfair on some perhaps but they simply could not let that shambles stand.

Agreed; I'm British and support Froome but if that had been Quintana and time had stood I would have been mad

100%. Sounds like some fans at the finish line aren't too happy.

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site

maltiv said:
The Hitch said:

I don't remember what happened then but this time it was 100 % the organizers fault. They moved the finish line without putting up new barriers, just ridiculous.
No. Barriers or not are irrelevant. This was 100% fault of those animals.

TRENDING THREADS