• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 TdF, Stage 14: Montélimar → Villars-les-Dombes (209km)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

sultanofhyd said:
There is nothing wrong with this stage. ASO couldn't have predicted 60 km/h headwinds 8 months before the race. They just went through big mountains and a hard TT, and there are big mountains coming up, what else do you want them to do?

Schedule non flat stages at weekends. Doesn't have to be mountains. Just not this.

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: Re:

The Barb said:
sultanofhyd said:
There is nothing wrong with this stage. ASO couldn't have predicted 60 km/h headwinds 8 months before the race. They just went through big mountains and a hard TT, and there are big mountains coming up, what else do you want them to do?

Schedule non flat stages at weekends. Doesn't have to be mountains. Just not this.

The ASO is obliged to put a hard stage on Bastille day, which didn't fall on a weekend. Then they had the TT yesterday. If they have two more hard stages, mountains or not, today and tomorrow, and then the Alps in the third week, you are looking at a 2012 Giro-like Tour. Prudhomme is no Zomegnan.

And we will only get exciting racing in the days to come if the riders have something left in their legs. Having a hard stage after Ventoux and TT is not the way to do it.

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site

sultanofhyd said:
The Barb said:
sultanofhyd said:

The ASO is obliged to put a hard stage on Bastille day, which didn't fall on a weekend. Then they had the TT yesterday. If they have two more hard stages, mountains or not, today and tomorrow, and then the Alps in the third week, you are looking at a 2012 Giro-like Tour. Prudhomme is no Zomegnan.

And we will only get exciting racing in the days to come if the riders have something left in their legs. Having a hard stage after Ventoux and TT is not the way to do it.

Why plan the ITT yesterday? And an attackers stage doesn't have to be a difficult stage.

Moreover, this is the second stage with almost no action and a very slow tempo, so that does make one wonder about the stage designs. At least put in some incentives for attackers. I just don't agree with your argument.

This is no advertisement for cycling, so don't plan it during the weekend.

WillemS said:
Why plan the ITT yesterday? And an attackers stage doesn't have to be a difficult stage.

Moreover, this is the second stage with almost no action and a very slow tempo, so that does make one wonder about the stage designs. At least put in some incentives for attackers. I just don't agree with your argument.

This is no advertisement for cycling, so don't plan it during the weekend.

Agree on all counts. They're going straight up the Rhone valley between two mountain ranges - they could deviate left or right at any point they want to include climbs of any size they want. A couple of cat 3 climbs in the right place would be enough to give a breakaway a chance without tiring the GC guys.

Incidentally, the Irish-language commentators on TG4 were really laying into Cannondale's performance all season just now and JV's business ways and talk about Pierre Rolland and 70's training techniques etc. No way you'd get that from Phil + Paul, or ITV4.

My excitement after yesterday's stage and crippled Ventoux is at, about, level of today's average speed.
I'm still following the race, but if Froome's advantage doesn't start to melt from tomorrow, I'm not sure I'll keep enthusiasm.
And it's not Froome's fault. He's been the most exciting participant so far.
Now, he doesn't need to entertain us any more, so sedation is almost certain.

Re: 2016 TdF, Stage 14: Montélimar → Villars-les-Dombes (209

Sky, Trek and Lotto, Orica will want a relaxed day as they have riders on Podium or for Sprint.

BMC, NoMovistar Ettix and Astana have a lot to gain from attacks. Kittel will fancy his chances after windy day, hard day. As Cav has previously been dominant. Otherwise all there GC riders need to move up.

Let's hope for some action!

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
how to make these stages less boring?

well, cycling won't help today, only some fan generated fun can save it

so, please, come up with some nice interesting/funny/bizzare polls

Let me start (based on live CN ticker comment):

Will this be the first Tour with no French nor Italian nor Spanish to win a stage?

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

Max Rockatansky said:
doperhopper said:
how to make these stages less boring?

well, cycling won't help today, only some fan generated fun can save it

so, please, come up with some nice interesting/funny/bizzare polls

There once was a "bring back EPO thread", if I remember correctly? ;)

and also "give the jerseys back" (supported by 4 out of 6 Tour winners)

yeah... in "good old dark" days Liestrong at least produced some entertainment by personally chasing down that break with Simeoni... so, maybe someone from this break should say something nasty to the cameras

Re:

Poursuivant said:
Brailsford on ITV now putting to bed Rumours him and Froome were with commissaires before they made their decision after Ventoux. He said they had no say at all, and that they targetted Ventoux and the TT as the two stages they wanted to take time.

This may be true or may not but Brailsford is 100% a politician who always spins, changes and directs the narrative very well. So, you cannot give much weight to the word of Brailsford is my point.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

wirral said:
Poursuivant said:
Brailsford on ITV now putting to bed Rumours him and Froome were with commissaires before they made their decision after Ventoux. He said they had no say at all, and that they targetted Ventoux and the TT as the two stages they wanted to take time.

This may be true or may not but Brailsford is 100% a politician who always spins, changes and directs the narrative very well. So, you cannot give much weight to the word of Brailsford is my point.

well, it's not unfounded if it's true. I remember reading somewhere long time ago, sky used to do team presentation to ASO. and the next thing you know, that next year, the TDF route (which it has long ITT) was announced. And that year as we know, Wiggins won it, the first Brit to win TDF.

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
Wagwan mi breda

CnfPGL3XEAE6rq8.png

Jah bless

TRENDING THREADS