• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 TdF, Stage 16: Moirans-en-Montagne → Bern (209km)

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

StryderHells said:
DFA123 said:
So dull they can't even be bothered to contest an intermediate sprint despite being in position to do so. Sums up this tour.

Why would Cavendish contest the intermediate sprint? First up the battle for Green is over and second up in my opinion Cavendish won't make it to Paris
But he wasted energy to put himself in second position and then just didn't bother going past Sagan in the last few metres? What was the point of that?

I'm sure the crowd that had gathered by the sprint really appreciated it. :rolleyes:

DFA123 said:
StryderHells said:
DFA123 said:
So dull they can't even be bothered to contest an intermediate sprint despite being in position to do so. Sums up this tour.

Why would Cavendish contest the intermediate sprint? First up the battle for Green is over and second up in my opinion Cavendish won't make it to Paris
But he wasted energy to put himself in second position and then just didn't bother going past Sagan in the last few metres? What was the point of that?

I'm sure the crowd that had gathered by the sprint really appreciated it. :rolleyes:

well, sagan can still fall or something and not score points today/in paris, and cavendish can earn reasonable sum of points, mainly in paris, so that's why cav didn't want to loose more points than those 2 he lost in the intermediate sprint. If nothing happens, sagan probably has the green, but what if?

tomorrow said:
DFA123 said:
StryderHells said:
DFA123 said:

well, sagan can still fall or something and not score points today/in paris, and cavendish can earn reasonable sum of points, mainly in paris, so that's why cav didn't want to loose more points than those 2 he lost in the intermediate sprint. If nothing happens, sagan probably has the green, but what if?
Sure, but why didn't he go past hime and get a few more points? If Sagan has a mechanical or something and gets no points on one stage, Cav could get back in contention. What was the point in spending energy to get on Sagan's wheel, but then not just coming round him in the last 50m. Sagan was going almost at walking pace by the end.

Presumably they'd made an agreement before not to contest it fully, but why? It's a dull enough race as it is.

tomorrow said:
DFA123 said:
StryderHells said:
DFA123 said:

Battle for green is over most probably but it was very logical for Cav to get second but not go for first.
a) It's a hard stage and if he wants to make it over the last climb he needs to keep as much energy as possible
b) Even though green battle is over he wants to ensure that if Sagan crashes out or something that he is safely second
Therefore it is very logical for him to go for second whilst expending as little energy as possible, especially as no one else really went for it

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site

DFA123 said:
tomorrow said:
DFA123 said:
StryderHells said:
DFA123 said:

Sure, but why didn't he go past hime and get a few more points? If Sagan has a mechanical or something and gets no points on one stage, Cav could get back in contention. What was the point in spending energy to get on Sagan's wheel, but then not just coming round him in the last 50m. Sagan was going almost at walking pace by the end.

Presumably they'd made an agreement before not to contest it fully, but why? It's a dull enough race as it is.

Sagan agreed not to contest the stage win and to lead out Cav, because otherwise he might still have to ride for Tinkov.

DFA123 said:
StryderHells said:
DFA123 said:

It didn't look like he used much energy working his way up to sit behind Sagan, so he went from 62 points behind to 64, don't think that makes much of a difference in this classification. As for the crowd at the intermediate missing out on a little action, well I'm sure they'll get over it

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

Presumably they'd made an agreement before not to contest it fully, but why? It's a dull enough race as it is.[/quote]

Sagan agreed not to contest the stage win and to lead out Cav, because otherwise he might still have to ride for Tinkov.[/quote]

already sold one stage to Bling