• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 TdF, Stage 8: Pau → Bagnères-de-Luchon (184km)

Page 36 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

El Pistolero said:
Froome won the Tour, British domination continues. 5th British win in 8 days.

I'm done with the Tour.
Lol You should know better that this doesnt mean (almost) anything

But this was tremendous I must say
Quintana with a junior mistake :eek:

Re:

whittashau said:
The other rides should be ashamed of themselves. Letting Froome ride away like that. He's not Bardet or Nibali or something. Simply no one wanted to put the effort into reeling him in

Quintana couldn't follow when Valverde wanted to go full gas and chase. Hence the gap went up very quickly. He's not the best descender in the bunch, but that was still a very strong descent.

May 29, 2015
Visit site
Good ride but also fairly lucky that Quintana gets caught offguard while grabbing a bottle and Valverde takes a long time before he decides he actually wants to help Quintana and try to chase down Froome.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Did Froome accelerate at the top of the earlier climbs (and annoy everyone else in the process) so that they wouldn't react when he did it on the final climb? Quite clever.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

PremierAndrew said:
El Pistolero said:

I'm done with the Tour.

Tour is won in the mountains. We have no idea who's the better climber right now between Froome and Quintana

Oh bollocks, how many times have we seen this *** already? Froome won unless he crashes out. That's all there's to it. Race is over. He always breaks the morale of every GC rider by a crazy performance on the first relevant stage for GC.

Re:

whittashau said:
The other rides should be ashamed of themselves. Letting Froome ride away like that. He's not Bardet or Nibali or something. Simply no one wanted to put the effort into reeling him in

It wasn't laziness. It was foolishness. They all let Valverde pace the downhill, which would ordinarily be a sensible thing to do. But Valverde was limiting himself to a pace that Quintana was comfortable with.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Looking back now, maybe that whole Majka incident was to make the others think he was going for KoM, so when he attacked over the final climb, Movistar caught out by Froome not sitting up after the acceleration

Sorry. I was signing in and missed this post but I agree.

Re:

Andro said:
Good ride but also fairly lucky that Quintana gets caught offguard while grabbing a bottle and Valverde takes a long time before he decides he actually wants to help Quintana and try to chase down Froome.
I think Valverde could have caught Froome if he was by himself, but Quintana kept losing his wheel so he had to hold back a bit. At Quintana's size, it's always going to be a potential weakness on long, straight descents like this.

May 29, 2015
Visit site

El Pistolero said:
PremierAndrew said:
El Pistolero said:

I'm done with the Tour.

Tour is won in the mountains. We have no idea who's the better climber right now between Froome and Quintana

Oh bollocks, how many times have we seen this **** already? Froome won unless he crashes out. That's all there's to it. Race is over.

Stop playing stupid. The race is not over. Quintana looked really strong uphill but got caught off guard when grabbing a bottle at the top of the mountain.

All these "wahhhh frooome has won now wahhhh tour over" posts are pure AIDS and everyone making them should feel bad.

cineteq said:
whittashau said:
Especially Bardet and Valverde. BMC #Fail

Valverde wasn't even in the group.
Froome attacked and everyone looked around until Valverde rejoined and did almost all the pulling

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Andro said:
El Pistolero said:
PremierAndrew said:
El Pistolero said:

I'm done with the Tour.

Oh bollocks, how many times have we seen this **** already? Froome won unless he crashes out. That's all there's to it. Race is over.

Stop playing stupid. The race is not over. Quintana looked really strong uphill but got caught off guard when grabbing a bottle at the top of the mountain.

All these "wahhhh frooome has won now wahhhh tour over" posts are pure AIDS and everyone making them should feel bad.

I'll quote you after the Tour is done then. Can't believe some people still think Quintana can win this. Lol! Quintana didn't look strong at all.

Andro said:
El Pistolero said:
PremierAndrew said:
El Pistolero said:

I'm done with the Tour.

I don't feel bad, froome is in yellow for the rest of the race. It's simple, unless something goes terribly wrong which would be too bad.