• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 TdF, Stage 8: Pau → Bagnères-de-Luchon (184km)

Page 38 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

Squirbos_19 said:
Irondan said:
Purito quietly riding very well so far.

He's hardly been mentioned at all and he's sitting 3rd now. Not sure if he can podium but a top 5 is definitely possible

He's riding well, but for now i'm going for a top-10. He's at the level of his Vuelta last year. Don't forget the Tour is the biggest race with the highest level.

Bye Bye Bicycle said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
What the hell are Bora doing allowing Buchmann to ride for 30th on GC or something? His GC is over, he should be dropping time and trying to get in breaks on mountain days. Yet here he is pulling on the front of the Contador group, trying to limit his losses.

German TV went crazy over the sight of him finishing in front of Barguil and Contador. So job well done. His goal is to finish Top 20, and he looks to be on a good way. He's not aggressive enough (yet) for wins from breaks.

Good God, top 20 as an actual goal. I'd be going nuts about that if I was a German commentator, but it wouldn't be an admiring sort of nuts.

Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Looking back now, maybe that whole Majka incident was to make the others think he was going for KoM, so when he attacked over the final climb, Movistar caught out by Froome not sitting up after the acceleration

It's entirely possible. I'm really impressed with how Froome pulled this off today. Really impressed.

If it will be like previous years quintana will crash froome in Alps, he must be quite happy today
tomorrow+Ventoux is last chance for froome because one minute he will gain in TT but in Alps he will loose at least two

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

cipurian said:
Squirbos_19 said:
Irondan said:
Purito quietly riding very well so far.

He's hardly been mentioned at all and he's sitting 3rd now. Not sure if he can podium but a top 5 is definitely possible

Perhaps he might be on his own ninja mission.

Tbh he's not in the position (the rider) anymore to make the race. He was at the limit too on the Peyresourde.

He's just riding really well on the age of 37. Maybe he will attack in his homestage tomorrow.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Re:

SirLes said:
Did Froome accelerate at the top of the earlier climbs (and annoy everyone else in the process) so that they wouldn't react when he did it on the final climb? Quite clever.

Indeed this is a good point. :idea:

I am not a fan of Froome by any means, but kudos to him for doing the unexpected and with some panache. I do think that Quintana looked supremely confident uphill. Froome less so. This is good, it means Quintana will have to attack. I hope he will. Take it to Froome and Sky already!

Re:

bassano said:
nice win and good ride from froome but taking 22 second for such a effort can cost him much more tomorrow

Whatever effort he did pedalling on the descent and on the very short bit of flat at the end is pretty insignificant compared to the effort of the 4 climbs before it. Whatever else happens this year, that descent is going to be one of the highlights.

I'd nearly prefer to see Quintana on some Pro Conti team or Giant Alpecin or something where he has to do it all himself in the mountains - 3 years of leading Movistar has turned him into a more boring rider who is content to be cautious.

May 29, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Miburo said:
Quintana wasn't caught off guard, he just decided to not take any responsibility.

He grabbed a bottle, then Froome opened up a gab. It was the biggest textbook definition of "caught off guard" you're gonna get.

arvc40 said:
Miburo said:
ILovecycling said:
arvc40 said:
Great ride by Froome. Quintana to win Tour !
Pretty much this.

Froome said it was fun, but for me it is clear that Froome doesnt believe in his climbing

And Quintana doesn't believe he can win the tour. Wtf was that?

If you have some honor as a rider, you follow that attack and don't wait for piti like a ***.

Quintana was caught out. It's a mistake for sure !
I'm not sure Quintana could have done any more on the descent. It was the same when he got dropped on the Port de Bales descent a couple of years ago. He's just too light on these fairly steep, straight descents to stay with significantly heavier riders. He couldn't even hold Valverde's wheel some of the time - and it was the straight parts where Froome got his advantage, not the hairpins.

Re:

woodburn said:
Froome would have been caught if the group worked. This was more a win of tactics and negative riding by others.

I would say disorganization more than negative. Movistar botched paying attention over the top for sure though.
Clearly Froome had scouted that descent though. You don't bomb it like he did without knowing every corner.

bassano said:
rick james said:
Pantani Attacks said:
Idiotic by Froome and I can see him paying for it hard tomorrow
and the others chasing him didn't suffer?

Quintana did not took single pull so definitelly not, he just followed wheels and he was OK with results

It was a long, fast descent. At times he was struggling to follow Valverde so it's not like he got an easy ride.