• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 TdF, Stage 9: Vielha → Andorra Arcalis (185km)

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

Hm.. not sure Valverde dropping back is the best way for Quintana to make the most of it today. Movistar certainly shouldn't give a *** about winning the stage

SeriousSam said:
Hm.. not sure Valverde dropping back is the best way for Quintana to make the most of it today. Movistar certainly shouldn't give a **** about winning the stage
Agree, he should make Sky doms work as hard as possible for as long as possible. Even if they catch the break, it will have taken a lot out of them for later in the stage. Although I guess his initial attack has done that already.

Re:

portugal11 said:
So now i can assume that i was right. Why quintana didn't attack froome? He has to test froome before the time trial
For Quintana it's still possible to win the tour just by being the strongest. By doing a crazy attack today he could loose minutes if the attack doesn't work and it's possible that he would have won the tour if he hadn't attacked. Therefore an attack so early in the stage would simply be stupid.

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
Re:

TommyGun said:
I cannot believe this, commentators on France 3 are taking a lunch break, so they are showing a summary of the 1st week instead of live pictures!
Live pictures without some crazy person shouting all over it nonstop is considered "dead air" in these modern times. Commentary is the content.

DFA123 said:
SeriousSam said:
Hm.. not sure Valverde dropping back is the best way for Quintana to make the most of it today. Movistar certainly shouldn't give a **** about winning the stage
Agree, he should make Sky doms work as hard as possible for as long as possible. Even if they catch the break, it will have taken a lot out of them for later in the stage. Although I guess his initial attack has done that already.

It's Stannard and Rowe working now. They wont be of any use later in the stage anyway.

Geraint Too Fast said:
DFA123 said:
SeriousSam said:

It's Stannard and Rowe working now. They wont be of any use later in the stage anyway.
Not sure about that. There is a long, gentle uphill drag as they go into Andorra. Forcing Stannard and Kiryienka to pull harder now, might be the difference between them getting over the next climb and being able to pull on that section, or cracking and not making it.

Marginal gains.